Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL investigating Patriots for deflating footballs, per report

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: NFL investigating Patriots for deflating footballs, per report

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    On one hand there is always a controversy surrounding a major victory by the Patriots. On the other hand, the Raiders would say you are not trying hard enough to win unless you are cheating.
    The Raiders wouldn't say that. They'd be more like, "Screw those cheaters, and screw the Tuck Rule, and screw everything about them and all their bullshit."

Then they'd turn around and trade them a first-round draft pick for some guy who barely wants to be there, then go 4-12 because most of the team sucks on account of half of it being made up of street free agents because they're always trading away their draft picks.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    On one hand there is always a controversy surrounding a major victory by the Patriots. On the other hand, the Raiders would say you are not trying hard enough to win unless you are cheating.

That was true back in the day, when football was football. Not so much these days. Hell..... it seems like if there is even a hint of the Raiders being able to win a close game, some obscure rule or total bullshit call will make sure they don't.

I gotta get a new tin foil hat.... this one is showing signs of wear.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    The Raiders wouldn't say that. They'd be more like, "Screw those cheaters, and screw the Tuck Rule, and screw everything about them and all their bullshit."

Then they'd turn around and trade them a first-round draft pick for some guy who barely wants to be there, then go 4-12 because most of the team sucks on account of half of it being made up of street free agents because they're always trading away their draft picks.
    I got nuthin'.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Vic Tafur retweeted
    jeff pehrson @setjeff · 16h 16 hours ago
    @VicTafur Phil Villapiano said the @RAIDERS of his era used to say "If you aren't cheating, you don't want to win bad enough".
    All Defense!

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

The difference between the Raiders of the 70s and the Patriots* is that the Raiders flaunted the fact that they were cheating and didn't apologize for it. They pretty much said "yeah, we're doing it, now do something about it". The Patriots* try to be cute, then when they are caught red-handed, try to make excuses or deny it. The former you can grudgingly accept, even if you don't like it...the latter is what gets you despised by every other NFL fan base. If you get caught, at least have the balls to man up and admit it.

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post

LOL...I can see it now. Goofdell finally gets fired and replaced with a real commissioner, the Pats* get caught cheating, and the new commish hits them as habitual offenders. They forfeit their entire draft class. Then the Raiders trade their next two #1 picks for LeGarrette Blount, who rushes for 100 yards for the whole season as the Raiders go 3-13.

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    The difference between the Raiders of the 70s and the Patriots* is that the Raiders flaunted the fact that they were cheating and didn't apologize for it. They pretty much said "yeah, we're doing it, now do something about it". The Patriots* try to be cute, then when they are caught red-handed, try to make excuses or deny it. The former you can grudgingly accept, even if you don't like it...the latter is what gets you despised by every other NFL fan base. If you get caught, at least have the balls to man up and admit it.
    And the thing that that REALLY pisses me off about their fanbase is that they are so offended when anyone brings up the fact that they cheated.

I would have a lot more respect for their fans if they would just say..."yea....that pisses me off also". But no...its all dodge...deflect...deny.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Ben's Wingman Array title="Merchant has a spectacular aura about"> Merchant's Avatar

I'm so confused right now. A slightly deflated ball makes it easier for the QB to grip, so it would favor the pass-heavy Colts. Why is this a big deal?

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant View Post
    I'm so confused right now. A slightly deflated ball makes it easier for the QB to grip, so it would favor the pass-heavy Colts. Why is this a big deal?
    Each team uses their own balls on offense, Patriots* are accused of playing with underinflated balls while the Colts played with regular inflated balls.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Each team supplies 12 or so balls. The only time the other team would touch the other teams balls would be on a turnover.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    The only time the other team would touch the other teams balls would be on a turnover.
    Unless you are Cody Wallace.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    The only time the other team would touch the other teams balls would be on a turnover.
    Or Brady would do it before and after the game, and pretty much any time in between. Giving the pre-game "handshake" a whole new meaning.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

So Luck and Brady were playing with each others balls????

Ben's Wingman Array title="Merchant has a spectacular aura about"> Merchant's Avatar

Ohh okay. Makes sense now haha.

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

It also makes it easier for the RB to grip, making him less prone to fumbling. And since the Patriots* game plan was to run the football, well...you do the math. I also stand corrected on my original point - I thought a deflated ball would make it more difficult for a QB to control where the ball is going nor travel as far in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    So Luck and Brady were playing with each others balls????
    No, they were playing with their own balls.

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Come on guys, this is the Patriots. They could have someone standing along the sidelines with a shotgun picking the ball out of the air every time the Colts threw it, and the only thing Goodell would do is make Indy reimburse them for the cost of the shells.

AML

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    And the thing that that REALLY pisses me off about their fanbase is that they are so offended when anyone brings up the fact that they cheated.

I would have a lot more respect for their fans if they would just say..."yea....that pisses me off also". But no...its all dodge...deflect...deny.
    Depends on the age group you are talking about. No one younger than 40 will remember any of it. I'm 55..... I loved every minute of the 70's.

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    It also makes it easier for the RB to grip, making him less prone to fumbling. And since the Patriots* game plan was to run the football, well...you do the math. I also stand corrected on my original point - I thought a deflated ball would make it more difficult for a QB to control where the ball is going nor travel as far in the air.

It will also make it easier for the receiver to make the catch, particularly in cold weather.

AML

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Roger has his big broom at the ready to sweep all ball cheating evidence via the tape cheating dumpster.

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    Depends on the age group you are talking about. No one younger than 40 will remember any of it. I'm 55..... I loved every minute of the 70's.
    So did I. Particularly the play that Harris caught a deflected pass, just before it hit the ground and ran for the game winning TD............... What did they call that again?

AML

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    So did I. Particularly the play that Harris caught a deflected pass, just before it hit the ground and ran for the game winning TD............... What did they call that again?
    I think it was the Immaculate something or other.

Sorry, silver and black.

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    I believe it was called the Immaculate Deception.

Oh Gawd...the best thing about Madden retiring was that I don't have to see him "shatting" himself into a seizure every time someone brought that play up.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Honest to God buddy, I really miss those days. The kids these days have no idea what football was back then.

Back then the team buses didn't go back to the hotel, they went directly to ER.

AML

Senior Member Array title="T&B fan has much to be proud of"> T&B fan's Avatar

some of you are missing the point here . it is a violation of the rules thats all . if it helps you or not don't matter its a violation of the rules .

if you have sex with another woman and don't get off is it still cheating on you wife ???? yes
    ************************************************** ******************************
    well if it did not help then why do it ??

same reason you get flowers for a girl to help you get some , if it did not work there would be a lot fewer flower shops .
    every team dose it .

no not true , did not work when you where 5 and dad told you not to something , but Johnny dose it .
    also according to one of the articles the home team supply's all 36 balls for the games .
    we must never forget tell everyone you know New England cheated and might be back at it Edit 1-21-15 there back Edit #2__12-8-19 here we go again Edit #3__ 5-25-23 it never ends

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

When it makes the NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams, it's a story that has legs.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerette View Post
    How does an improperly inflated ball favor one team over the other though? Unless you mean they used real balls when the Patriots were on offense, and deflated ones when the Colts were on offense.
    This is the way I understand it. About an hour or so before kickoff each team is given a stock of balls. A certain amount are designated for offense and some are designated for the kicking game. When a team gets their allotment they usually have a clubhouse attendant rub the balls up, scuff em up a bit like pitchers in baseball do. Usually this attendant knows the qb's wants and desires and will get the ball to the qb's satisfaction within league limits. So whenever a team is on offense the balls being used are from their allotment. Now here's where the cheating comes in. the one thing you're not allowed to do with your allotment of balls is alter the inflation in any way. Slightly deflating the ball, particularly in inclement weather gives the qb a better grip on the ball and is generally considered to be a more catchable ball.

So the assertion both teams are playing with the same ball isn't true. If the Patriots were purposely altering the inflation of their assigned balls they were without question gaining an illegal advantage. The final score of the game is inconsequential. If the Patriots were proven to have cheated they most certainly did it to gain an unfair advantage. Just like spygate, you don't risk the consequense of getting caught unless you're gaining a clear competitive advantage over your opponent.

If these allegations prove true then in my opinion as repeat offenders both Bellichick and Kraft should be suspended for the duration of the 2015 season, along with forfeiture of their first round choice of the same draft.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    If these allegations prove true then in my opinion as repeat offenders both Bellichick and Kraft should be suspended for the duration of the 2015, along with forfeiture of their first round choice of the same draft.
    Unless a certain someone torches the evidence...

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Nothing will come of this. Kraft has his prize in the jar that sits on his desk.