Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UPDATE: Steelers sign Calgary DE/LB Shawn Lemon

Senior Member Array title="KeiselPower99 is on a distinguished road"> KeiselPower99's Avatar

UPDATE: Steelers sign Calgary DE/LB Shawn Lemon

The Pittsburgh Steelers will begin to rebuild their defense not through free agency, re-signing current players or the NFL Draft, but by looking north to the CFL for talent. Shawn Lemon, a member of the Grey Cup Champion Calgary Stampeders will sign with the Steelers, according to Scott Mitchell of the Calgary Sun, as well as Sports Illustrated.

Lemon racked up 13 sacks and forced eight fumbles in 2014 for the Stampeders, the latter of which was a CFL record.

This isn't Lemon's first tour stateside, as the Maryland native was a standout for the Akron Zips, starting for three seasons and earning all-conference honors.

Listed at six-feet-two and 250 pounds, Lemon almost certainly will line up as an outside linebacker rather than a defensive end, and as Neal Coolong pointed out last week, Lemon is an explosive player who possesses the athleticism for a potentially successful position switch.

Still only 26-years old, Lemon is still a young player with room to grow. Although Lemon bounced around the Arena League and the CFL, playing for a total of six teams in his short career, Mitchell reported as many as 14 teams were interested in Lemon's services, indicating his game tape was worth a shot.

With Jarvis Jones currently the only outside linebacker under contract, the Steelers needed to make a move to bring depth to the position, and Lemon seems to fit the bill.

Unfortunately, fans will have to wait for Lemon to be formally introduced, as CFL players are unable to officially sign with NFL teams until Feb. 10th.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Steelers set to sign Calgary DE/LB Shawn Lemon

I like this signing. Hopefully he pans out

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Hopefully this signing doesn't turn into a lemon.

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

Boo...lol
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

I draw 2 conclusions from this video:

1) He finishes strong
    2) Canadian o- lines really suck
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Thee Conservative Steeler Array title="steel9guy is on a distinguished road"> steel9guy's Avatar

I was excited and then I saw the olines he was going against in the video. Hopefully it works out.

Dwinsgames

his tape is leaps and bounds better than I anticipated by the talk in the other thread ... may be some hope for this kid yet

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post

1) He finishes strong

probably something to the latter part ... that being said those are not a bunch of fat guys he is getting around , could take that two ways .. the guys he is beating should be faster than most he will face , but they do not have the lockdown power of the ones he will face ...

6 of one , half dozen of the other = wait n see

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    probably something to the latter part ... that being said those are not a bunch of fat guys he is getting around , could take that two ways .. the guys he is beating should be faster than most he will face , but they do not have the lockdown power of the ones he will face ...

6 of one , half dozen of the other = wait n see
    No disagreement with any of this, but that's not what I was referring to. I'm talking about the poor technique, body control, and blocking schemes.
    This definitely isn't pro level o-line play.

On further inspection, I'm not so keen on *his* technique either. He's got a good motor and what looks like poor fundamental habits. It'll take some practice squad time to set him straight. Hopefully not too much.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post

1) He finishes strong
    strong? he just finishes fast. he looks like vernon gholston on that footage. little irked that a good bull rush is nowhere to be seen on his highlight footage
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Some things I noticed from the film in this thread:

He's explosive off the line
    He's patient
    Has good vision
    Good rush technique that allows him to get off blocks to make a play
    Good tackling fundamentals
    He's fast.

Plus, he also has size. I'm interested to see what this guy can do.

Ū Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

IMO, it looks more like an average player vs a poor O-line. The Steelers need starting caliber OLBs, not more mediocrity.
    Hater = Realist

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    IMO, it looks more like an average player vs a poor O-line. The Steelers need starting caliber OLBs, not more mediocrity.
    Well... I wouldn't say "average". You don't set records by being merely average.
    He looks like he's got potential, but it's going to take a lot of work for him to get to the point where he can have an impact in the NFL.

As an aside, I think we can set aside the notion of the Steelers switching to a 4-3. We wouldn't be looking at guys like this if we were planning on doing that.

Senior Member Array title="KeiselPower99 is on a distinguished road"> KeiselPower99's Avatar

Lemon does not have to be a starter or an all pro just a guy who gets pressure and proves he can play.

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

Re: UPDATE: Steelers sign Calgary DE/LB Shawn Lemon

I like it. There's no downside here.

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

As I do with all players we bring in, I'll wait and see how he actually plays before I make a verdict either way. If he ends up contributing, then that's great. If not, we dump him and move on - his contract can't be TOO bad.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Camp body and special teams at the very least. Depth and maybe a pass rusher on 3rd downs.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I'm not excited.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    I like it. There's no downside here.
    Vernon Gholston. Theres your downside.

Member Array title="slashsteel is on a distinguished road"> slashsteel's Avatar

Some good players have come out of the CFL.

yeah sometimes you get a Lemon

and sometimes you make lemonaide

cost the team next to nothing for a look-see.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Vernon Gholston. Theres your downside.
    No draft pick used. Little cap ramifications if cut.

Top end of the scale is that you have the next Cameron Wake on the cheap. Bottom end is you cut Vernon Gholston 2.0 during the off-season with no harm to your balance sheet.

I really hope they bring the corner from the CFL in as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    No draft pick used. Little cap ramifications if cut.

Top end of the scale is that you have the next Cameron Wake on the cheap. Bottom end is you cut Vernon Gholston 2.0 during the off-season with no harm to your balance sheet.

I really hope they bring the corner from the CFL in as well.
    just being cautiously pessimistic on this one haha. and whats all the fuss about this corner? i cant find much on him

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    just being cautiously pessimistic on this one haha. and whats all the fuss about this corner? i cant find much on him
    Tall, fast, "top corner in the CFL" (whatever that means). Apparently held Chris Carter's kid (a hot CFL propsect in his own right) in check in their one head to head past season.

Here is a bit: http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/10332/delvin-breaux

Another decent lottery ticket to collect.

Member Array title="Pappy is on a distinguished road">

Even the greatest scouts miss players and overestimate the potential of others. Remember, Joe Montana and Tom Brady were late round picks. Donnie Shell was a free agent. Etc.,etc. Until they figure out how to measure a person's heart, projecting the play of any player is just an educated guess.

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Tall, fast, "top corner in the CFL" (whatever that means). Apparently held Chris Carter's kid (a hot CFL propsect in his own right) in check in their one head to head past season.

Here is a bit: http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/10332/delvin-breaux

Another decent lottery ticket to collect.
    We worked Breaux out, but I don't know if they offered him a contract. None the less, Breaux is on his way to NO.

AML

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    We worked Breaux out, but I don't know if they offered him a contract. None the less, Breaux is on his way to NO.
    Breaux is from the New Orleans area so he took their offer. We did sign LB/S Ian Wild yesterday. He played for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and is from Pittsburgh. 6'0 205, will be a safety with us and does long snap, so there is position flexibility if he is able to make the roster. Here is tape of Wild's special team highlights.

Personally I love the fact we are looking outside the box for guys right now. These are low cost high reward signings.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...nsactions-2015

Some intriguing signings recently. Nix looks interesting - man w/out a position, but supposedly possesses an amazing step off the line and I believe there are reports that he broke blocking sled with the Falcons.

http://backgrinder.com/2014/08/20/ha...-game-1st-cut/

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...nsactions-2015

Some intriguing signings recently. Nix looks interesting - man w/out a position, but supposedly possesses an amazing step off the line and I believe there are reports that he broke blocking sled with the Falcons.

http://backgrinder.com/2014/08/20/ha...-game-1st-cut/
    Thanks for the info, Mojo!