Thread: 2014 wrap up questionnaire.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

2014 wrap up questionnaire.

Did the Steelers meet, exceed, or fall short of your expectations for them?

Do you feel they are trending in the right direction?

Why?

Who or what was your biggest disappointment with the 2014 season?

Biggest overall surprise? ( positive vein)

Who do you think will be most improved Steeler next year?

Who is headed for the steepest decline in 2015?
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: 2014 wrap up questionnaire.

Bell was my surprise

I am not surprised that Bell was good, but I did not think than Bell would be a superstar as he was this year!....Bell is very versatile and Bell's injury was a big factor in the lost against the Ravens.(not the only factor)

The defense was a big disappointment......One of the worst defenses in the NFL this year(25th in point per drive) and this is probably the worst defense of the Steelers since 1988...Against the Ravens, Baltimore scored in 6 of their 8 first drives for a total of 30 points.....I thought before the season that the defense was going to be faster and better, but it was far to be the case

The Steelers have so much need for defense that's very discouraging

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post

Why?

1) regular season record met expectations , post season is another story , any year we fail to hoist the Lombardi is a failed effort , that being said 31 teams in my eyes fail every year ..

2) I think this is a trick question ..as they played well one could come away with the feeling they are but when you put it under the microscope and look at it much closer its a bit of an illusion

3) good question and I am not sure there is just 1 answer ... so I will list them in an A,B.C type fashion and forgive me because I will miss some valid points

A) Like it or not we have no starting RT or LT on this team , we are able to mask Beachum ( and I praise him for his efforts ) but he is not a true LT he has his warts but makes up for a lot of it by Ben being the QB he is ..... our RT situation is so much worse that it makes Beachum look far better than he is ... we are below average at RT way below ( forget the numbers from rating sites they are meaningless here ) Gilbert is a turnstile and if he where blocking for damned near any other QB in the league that QB would most likely be on IR before the season ended

B) We lack a quality pass rush from our OLBers if you are going to play a 34 defense this is considered a curse and as bad of one as you can have ... James Harrison at 36+ years of age was our saving grace and that is only because he is able to handle the leagues best LTs and still make his presence known albeit a half step to slow more often than now , that being said he was still the best OLB on the roster in 2014 , 2015 returns at this point just 1 guy that took a snap at OLB in 2014 ...That is a big problem

C) Unless McCullers starts in 2015 I doubt we see a markedly improved line backing crew in a 34 you must have 2 D-Lineman eat 2 blocker on every snap currently we have only 1 guy starting capable of that task and his name is not Mclendon or Heyward ..... its the rookie Tuitt but he has some learning to do yet

D) we honestly do not have anyone to play the S pos at this juncture that has proved they can cover anyone , many will say get Shamarko on the field but if we are honest and go back and look at the injury reports his name is on them more often that not and he has missed as much time as he has played at this juncture of his young career and half the battle of being effective is being available and that he has not been nearly enough ... maybe that changes moving forward , maybe not

E) misuse of talent / personnel on Offense ... Long striders are not made to catch bubble screens , sure it works out once in awhile but more often than not it fails , as those guys need time to get their legs going to top speed they are not quick step artists ...... small super fast guys are not designed to run the ball in between the tackles , not are they designed to make catches at the LOS with the CB or S playing tight they must have a chance to get going because they are not the kind of guys who break many tackles they need the ball in space weather as a ball carrier or receiver until this is learned by the play caller guys like Archer are doomed to fail ...

F) bad game planning ..we have seen this more times than I care to count , we play teams who have poor secondaries but good front 7's and we play small ball instead of attacking their weaknesses we play to their strengths ( see Jets, Ravens as a couple examples )

I could go on but you get the point ........

4) conventional wisdom would have me say Mike Mitchell , but I have to say Troy I did not think he would fall from grace this rapidly , I guess we missed the memo by him being forced to play so much at the LOS last year protecting the rookie Vince Williams , now looking back maybe it wasn't Williams who was being protected at all ..........

5) Le'veon Bell ..... knew he was good , knew he would improve over last year but did not expect this much improvement this soon

6) Tie... My head says no doubt Martavis Bryant is going to put the league on notice in 2015 ... My heart says we need big things from Big Dan ( both where in my SU mock draft contest selections )

7) sadly Heath or Timmons ... two of the oldest guys left and both have given so much for so long a decline is almost inevitable in one or both

good thread Zu !!
    Last edited by Dwinsgames; 01-05-2015 at 07:30 PM.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Did the Steelers meet, exceed, or fall short of your expectations for them? They met them regular season actually beat my prediction by one game, but failed in the post.

Do you feel they are trending in the right direction? No they played to inconsistent despite what the record says

Why? At times it was players such as Ben's inaccurate passing and his deep ball is not as accurate as I wish it was. Not that Ben is the only player who had inconsistencies just making a point. Game planning is a MUST and coaching staff saying different is either lazy or just plain stupid. This was a big reason I wanted B.A. gone, but if it's the same with Haley maybe it goes higher than them. Whatever it is it needs to change BADLY.

Who or what was your biggest disappointment with the 2014 season? I will give Mike Mitchel a pass due to injury and will instead go with Worlids. His pass rushing seems to take him way out of the way to where there is not a chance in hell he will get to the QB.

Biggest overall surprise? ( positive vein) Bell is the obvious choice here, so I will go with another name just to add to the list. Willie Gay was a bit of a shiny spot on a less than stellar D.

Who do you think will be most improved Steeler next year? Wishful thinking but hopefully Haley will learn to Game plan if he does I would be a happy camper. Ryan Shazier

Who is headed for the steepest decline in 2015? Sorry for the cop out but I dunno.
    Good Questions Zulater will be interested in seeing what others have to say.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

This year was about what I expected and probably a little better.

I really felt this offense had great potential and they showed it.

The question was if the defense would gel by midseason or not and they arguably did.

Not great but much improved.

We have a lot of young and developing guys on the defensive side of the ball just like we did on the offense a few years ago.

So if this D gels a little more in the next year or two this team is a legitmate lombardi contender for the next 3-4 years imo.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Exceed. I expected 9-7 or 10-6 as a wild card team, losing in the wild card round.

Yes.

Why?

Our triumvirate is playing as well as any, this is arguably going to become the best O-line Ben has ever had, and the defense is young and rough, but has promise, especially with the great defensive coaches we have. No one is deeper at ILB, and Mclendon, Heyward, and Tuitt will be a menacing D-line. Shamarko has looked great playing in preseason, now he just needs to be allowed to hit the field. Mitchell played the whole season with a torn groin and is having surgery to prove that it was true, so it looks like he'll be returning to 2013 form. Even though they arent under contract, it looks like we'll resign them so at the very worst we've found depth in Antwon Blake and Brice McCain.

Mike Mitchell. Even with the torn groin to excuse him of bad play, I was just disappointed in the fact that he was injured all season.

Martavis Bryant. Didnt expect shit out of him after his mediocre preseason and early season injury. I hated this pick the second it came out, and with the dri archer pick preceding i was ready to throw up at the time. At least i can compose myself into only dry heaving at the thought of dri archer being on the team.

Mike Mitchell (due to injury this year). And god help us if it isnt.

I think Stephon Tuitt will be the one to improve the one to actually improve the most with all injuries held even.

Troy if he stays.
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

[QUOTE=zulater;472077]Did the Steelers meet, exceed, or fall short of your expectations for them? Well, I picked them to go 8-8 maybe 9-7, so I'd say they exceeded my expectations.

Do you feel they are trending in the right direction? In some areas like the O-line (I'd still like to draft a good LT), WR's, RB are pointing upward but a solid back up for Bell is needed. Hopefully Harris can make the grade. TE is a need, I do think Blanchflower will make the roster next year, but we need to draft Millers replacement. I agree with Dwins on A to F. I still have high hopes for Archer, he needs some elbowroom. Running him up the middle on 3rd and short or throwing cluttered bubble screens is surely not very wise. The coaches Tomlin, Haley & LeBeau need work, some more than others. If LeBeau should retire, I'm not sold on Butler and think they should interview from the outside with Butler in the mix.

Who or what was your biggest disappointment with the 2014 season? Troy, Mitchell & Jarvis Jones, Ike played as expected. Shazier was a let down and the vibes that his team mates didn't think he worked hard enough raised the brow.

Biggest overall surprise? I have to go with Bryant, this young man can be great imo. Also have to go with Sean Spence, he wasn't great but considering where he was, he did pretty well.

Who do you think will be most improved Steeler next year? Lets hope Shazier, but I'm thinking Zumwalt will make an impact if he can stay healthy.

Who is headed for the steepest decline in 2015? Miller, I think Troy will retire and hopefully Ike retires before him.

Nice thread Zu.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Did the Steelers meet, exceed, or fall short of your expectations for them? Exceed. I thought 9-7 and no playoff.

Do you feel they are trending in the right direction? Yes.

Why?I think the offense hasn't peaked yet. Bryant, Bell, Wheaton are young. The OL is improving.

Who or what was your biggest disappointment with the 2014 season? Losing to losing teams.

Biggest overall surprise? ( positive vein) Martavis Bryant

Who do you think will be most improved Steeler next year? McCullers

Who is headed for the steepest decline in 2015? Ramon Foster

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Met exactly. I believe I predicted 10-6 and at least a wild card; winning the division was a nice touch.

Sideways.

Why?

Let's be honest, this was an 8-win or at best a 9-win team, with a couple extra victories handed to it because of a historically weak schedule. I mean it was literally one of the softest schedules possible, the kind you get once every 20 years, and nobody in our division was that good either. Next year we won't be so lucky and a lot of our underlying flaws will be exposed, hard.

We had two glaring needs last offseason - nose tackle and defensive back, and we have the exact same two glaring weaknesses now. Teams exploited the shit out of both of them and in that sense, we got exactly what we deserved. It's still frustrating as hell, though - seeing an obvious problem and nothing done to fix it except a lot of talk.

I think the Shazier pick and the way it played out over the season proved that no, linebacker actually was NOT a major need. We seem to be locked into a personnel-management strategy that is about what you would get if you had a caricature artist draw a picture of Bill Cowher with an exaggerated moustache and chin and "GRR, STEELERS FOOTBALL!" only that's what we actually do. That really needs to change ASAP, but I have no indication that it will.

I worry that the temporary success of this season will cause overconfidence on the part of management, and they will confuse a few lucky breaks with an overall long-term winning strategy.

Dri Archer. I know less was expected of him than, say, Mitchell - but I have almost never seen a player be so utterly useless in all phases of the game, including his supposed specialty.

Troy's decline was startling. I knew he was aging, but I didn't expect him to go off the cliff like that. Same with Ike Taylor.

Worilds was basically invisible, although that was not entirely unexpected.

Poor personnel management. Lance Moore is good, but for some reason he barely got on the field. Justin Brown staying in there for about four games longer than needed, and kept on the roster at the expense of losing better young players like Mauro. Cam Thomas seeing significant playing time once we knew what he was capable of.

The up-and-down nature of the team from week to week and even from one half to the next. Saying "You don't know which team will show up" is a cliche, but was an understatement for this team. That speaks to poor preparation.

The effect of Muchak. He made all the difference I'd hoped and more. They need to do whatever it takes to keep him around, including paying him a handsome bonus. You can say he easily is worth $2M or $3M a year just from what he saves us in having to draft or sign new players.

Bryant coming out of nowhere to be a dynamite #2 receiver.

Spaeth, for actually making a difference this year.

Bell, for everything. I knew he was good, but never imagined THAT good.

Archer if we cut him.

But seriously, Tuitt. He was really starting to come into his own, and it will be exciting to see what he can do with a full year.

Miller is really my only choice; we are a pretty young team and most guys have upside instead of downside. If Harrison comes back, I could see him getting injured and missing half the season. That's not really fair; anything we get out of him is double bonus time.

I guess Jarvis Jones could finally bust out, but that would be a lack of improvement, not a decline.

Good questions, really nice food for thought.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Bleedin' the B&G Array title="Steelman has much to be proud of"> Steelman's Avatar

Did the Steelers meet, exceed, or fall short of your expectations for them? They exceeded my expectations. I felt the offense could put some nice games together but worried about the defense. Winning the division was a nice surprise.

Do you feel they are trending in the right direction? Offensively, yes. There are some great pieces in place. Defensively, as it stands now, not really.

Why? Most of the talent on the defensive side is either too young or two old. Much hinges on what happens in the offseason and how much the young guys can progress and build on what they experienced in 2014.

Who or what was your biggest disappointment with the 2014 season? Maybe it's because it's most recent and still stings, but watching the improvement in coaching and adjustments over the course of the season only to see it all be flown out the window for the playoffs. That was very disappointing. As far as players, I think we all had high hopes for Mike Mitchell who was an absolute letdown to put it lightly. I expected a coming out party for Jarvis Jones only to see him get injured and Harrison come in and play like his younger self. Cortez Allen was a major disappointment. Touted to be the next shutdown guy, given a nice contract, and next thing you know he loses his marbles, gets benched, and then promptly stashed away on IR.

Biggest overall surprise? (positive vein) There were several. Notably, the O-line played lights out beyond anything I've seen in years. Martavis Bryant came out of nowhere. You can really see him working hard on his craft. Maybe AB's work ethic is rubbing off on him.

Who do you think will be most improved Steeler next year? For a rookie, Stephon Tuitt really came along nicely during the last half of the season. I expect he'll be a rock by next year. I also really hope McCullers can build on the game experience and add some solid technique and understanding of the scheme.

Who is headed for the steepest decline in 2015? Unfortunately, most likely Heath. Or Landry Jones. Oh wait.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

2014 wrap up questionnaire.

• Exceeding expectations. Didn't think they would make the playoffs. Had them slated for 9-7 on the season.

• No.

Why?

• Coaching is a major problem and it hasn't improved. There have been an abundance of blunders coming out of this coaching staff that IMO have outweighed the positives. See Troy Polamalu starting in the Wild Card game as the most recent example. Lack of a "blocking scheme" this past Sunday...going into the game with a Le'Veon Bell game plan...without Le'Veon Bell. There are too many holes to be filled and I'm not confident that this regime could do it.

• Coaching.

• Le'Veon Bell. To put it simple, he was just special. He is my obvious one. I'd like to give props to Ross Ventrone as well. Dude was dominant on special teams. Consistently avoiding the blocks, first one down on coverage and he can tackle. I was pleasantly surprised.

• Shamarko Thomas.

• I hate to say it and hope that I am wrong, but I think Le'Veon Bell takes a step backwards. Maybe not "talent wise" but I think his production will decrease and I think teams will start game planning to specifically stop him.

Good questions!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Junior Member Array title="Mamaduck43 has a brilliant future">

Good questions and great responses.... This is my favorite place to come and get educated on what's happening, and sometimes I totally agree, and other times I decide that everyone gets too emotionally involved and starts talking "bubbles".....

A couple of observations that I made this season is that resigning Harrison was a real plus this year - - and the fact that that decision happened after the season started made his contributions this year even more helpful.... More than for his play, but for the emotion he adds to the field, and I am sure to the locker room.... I think we need to keep him around for one more season....

I cried on Saturday when the camera would settle on Troy, sitting on the bench, during the game.... I was watching the end of an era - - and I was disappointed at the outcry of anti-Troy comments that appeared everywhere...... I almost had the same ache in my gut that happened when Jerome fumbled in the Colts game during the playoffs..... I am so glad that Jerome retired while on top, and I am sorry that Troy will have this season as probably his final memories of Steeler football....

This has been a real up and down season for Ben, as well -- the high points were amazing, and will help his path to Canton, but it pisses me off when he shoulders the blame for the poor games, when it cannot be only his fault and no one else says anything to refute that.... The cavalier attitude that Coach Tomlin displayed over and over and over, got old well before mid-season, and by Saturday night, I didn't even try to listen to him.... I like him as a coach - - I think he will end up being a great coach, but he needs to put on his big boy panties and start acting like a coach should.... He needs to take back the lockerroom and take control of the team.... And if he doesn't, he needs to go.....

Sorry I didn't follow the questions that were asked here, but I am now old enough to be considered a crochety old lady and I do what I feel like doing and write it off as being eccentric.... Love you all.....

I really had no idea what to expect of this team as we began the season. I was excited about young linebackers stepping up and playing big, and young wide receivers with a lot of upside actually breaking through. I think I'd have to say they slightly exceeded my expectations by winning the AFCN

Yes. Rebuilding a team is a multi-year process, not something that can be fixed in a single draft or free agency. The owners knowingly and willingly made a choice to put us in a deep personnel hole when they decided to keep the SB team together longer than normal. That cost us, but I still agree with their decision.

Why?

The Oline is better than it's been in almost a decade. Our WR corp is up and coming, with a legitimate WR that would be #1 on 30+ of the 32 teams in the NFL. Our number two receiver has good mechanics, catching the ball away from his body and seems know where to be on the field (though he's rookie, and mistakes are assumed), moreover, he has measurables to go along with that—height and speed—that, if Hines Ward had, he would have challenged Jerry Rice as the best WR ever in the game. We finally have a complete running back that's not a head case. He's capable of playing in the new NFL, but can revert to three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust in the fourth quarter to run out the clock (where I'm happy to see it being played). We still have strong TE's and beyond all that, our offense is playing well as a unit. Those two games in the middle of the year shows that this offense and OC, when they're all on the same page, can take on anyone.

The defense is trending in the right direction as well, but not as perceptible. Tuitt, McClendon, and others are doing well. Heyward had 7.5 sacks and 33 tackles. For a LDE in a 3-4, those numbers are definitely not bad. By comparison, Aaron Smith only had two 8 sack years in his career, four years where he had more tackles. On the other side, Kiesel's never had that much production in sacks and only two eyars where he's exceeded that production in tackles (and one where he's matched it). Tuitt came on the last part of the season, logging a sack, 8 tackles, and 1 assist in the last three games of the regular season (if he keeps that up next year, it's 5+ sacks and 40+ tackles over a season). Nose tackle needs a player to step up, or FA/Draft pick to step in. Unlike many, I was actually surprised and happy with our CB play in the latter half of the year. I think Gay, Blake, and McCain played well together and will be stronger when we get our safeties figured out. That remains our true weak point right now.

Dri Archer and LeGarrette Blount. The first for what he didn't do, the second for what he did do.

How good this team was when they managed to put all the pieces together, like that game against the Colts.

I have no idea. Part of me wants to say Bryant—if he sticks in AB's back pocket and picks up his work habits. But, I think maybe Shazier and Jones. They both flashed moments of great LB play before getting injured. If they can continue that direction, it'd be great (BTW, also don't forget it took Timmons about three years to come into his own—many were calling him a bust, and we all know Harrison's story).

Again, Bryant. Sophomore season is hard on players many times. Bryant could have a break out year, or he could decline. Either way, I'll be patient with him. Also keeping my eye on Bell. He came awfully close to the magic number for times rushing. If it holds, his production will fall off drastically next year, either because of injury or simply not doing it on the field. Hope I'm wrong, though.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

I actually predicted an 11-5 season and felt we would challenge for the division. Was not sure if we had the playoff mojo yet, so they didn't surprise me in losing the first playoff game.

Do you feel they are trending in the right direction? Yes. Offense is set or can be tweaked minimally for the next 4-5 years. Attention has to turn to the defense. This next draft and off season will determine if Ben gets back to the SB.

Who or what was your biggest disappointment with the 2014 season? Tomlin. Still maturing and learning the game. I thought he may have turned a corner a couple of times, but he remains inconsistent. Has to get his players up for every game. Period.

Biggest overall surprise? ( positive vein) No or very few injuries on the O Line. Has coaching been the issue for the last 3 years as we could rarely keep the same 5 guys on the field for any length of time? Kudos to Munchak for allowing the rest of the offense flourish. If we don't win the line of scrimmage, Brown, Bell and Ben are not going to put up the numbers that they did.

Who do you think will be most improved Steeler next year? Heyward. I think he is still learning and with 1 more season, I think he is going to solidify our defense. Of course, I am hoping the best players in our secondary are not on our roster as yet.

Who is headed for the steepest decline in 2015? Sadly, Miller. His age is going to catch him soon. I hope it is not next year, but you never know.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

A lot of great answers on this thread. Still working on my own. I'll get there soon.

All of the above. In the end they exceeded my expectations in as much as after their final regular season loss I had no hope they'd run the table and win the division. But prior to the season I thought this was a team that was headed for a 11+ win season and a first round bye. I thought the offense would be elite right from the start. and I thought the influx of Shazier and Jarvis Jones would make the Steelers linebacker corps more dynamic than it's been in several years. I knew the defense would have back end issues, and even DL issues. But I though the Steelers offense would be dynamic enough to force opponents to play from behind, so I thought the defense would look average or there arounds as a result. When you force teams to play from behind quite often they will beat themselves.

Mostly

Why?

Because the offense is only going to improve. Markus Wheaton and Martavis Bryant are going to take their game to a new level next season. The offensive line has stabilized and goes into next season with momentum. ( playoff game not withstanding)
    Bell has established himself as a legitimate MVP candidate. (he's only 23 the concerns about the heavy workload he had this year are unfounded in my opinion) I think Brown is going to stay at last seasons level for several more years. Heath is my only concern on offense. I would love to see them add another playmaking tight end in the first 3 rounds of the draft.

Defensively it's hard to predict at this moment? Tuitt and Heyward coyukld have huge seasons. Timmons and the other ILB's should be rock solid. McClendon and big 62 should be fine at NT. But who are the OLB's? Who are the safeties and corners?

Another year of the offense driving the bus ahead.

Cortez Allen. By far. I thought he would be at least a solid 2. I thought he would provide above average coverage and intercept 5-7 balls. Total failure. And if he had lived up to expectations this team easily gains the bye this year. At the very least if he's competent we win the Bucs game, and LeVeon gets that extra week to heal!

The play of the offensive tackles. I know some still insist that we need to upgrade here. And Gilbert certainly needs to figure out a better approach to Raven games. But after a little bit of a rough start I would venture to say our 3-some of Beachum- Gilbert and Adams are not only adequate, but an asset. Beachum in particular had a good year. According to the advanced stats over at Profootballfocus he was a top 10 tackle in the regular season, and then graded out as the Steelers best offensive player against the Ravens. (not so sure how they came up with that though? ) But regardless he's more than good enough. A modern day John Jackson if you will. ( for those of you old enough to remember the 90's Steelers.) And what's better than having a solid left tackle playing under a reasonable contract? I mean we know they're going to have to throw a boat load of money at Ben, so anywhere you can save money while putting a reasonable product on the field you've got to go with. Beachum and Gilbert will be the tackles for this team for the next 3-8 years. And you should be happy about it.

I'm going way out on my limb and saying Cortez Allen! Seriously I have no doubt this guy has the ability. something between his ears just went kablooey this year. Somehow, someway I think they find a way to fix him, and he becomes a solid 2 corner next season.

Sean Suisham. Kickers fall of the ledge hard and in a hurry. Just got a hunch the carriage turns back into a pumpkin next season.

I know Heath Miller's been cited on this question several times already. And I understand the logic. But if they do as I believe and bring in a dynamic playmaking tight end in the early rounds of the draft I think it will go to reinvigorate Heath to a large extent.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

They exceeded my expectations. Even with the soft schedule I felt this was a 9-7 or 10-6 team slated for a wildcard berth at best. 11-5 with an AFC North crown? Totally unexpected.

Yes. The offense is coming together into a coherent whole, with players filling specific roles that are in line with their talents and capabilities. No more shoe-horning Sanders or Wheaton into the deep- threat role. On defense it was a pleasant surprise to see the young D-line players both breakout (Heyward) and begin to realize their potential (Tuitt and McClendon). I actually think this could become an area of strength for years to come. There is a great deal to work with at the ILB position. If Timmons can continue his level of play and Spence and Shazier can exhibit the same jump in play that Williams did between year 1 and year 2 - look out.We all know that the pass rush and the secondary need fixed. But you build a team from the lines out. The Steelers fixed the D-line and middle of the LB corps. Let's just hope they are able to do the same with the edge rush and the back 4 this off-season.

Who or what was your biggest disappointment with the 2014 season? Cortez Allen and Jarvis Jones are in a real dog-fight for this one. Allen wins because I actually thought he could play and play well - Jones, not so much.

Biggest overall surprise? ( positive vein) The development of younger players. This has been an issue on this team for years. Finally seem to be able to get meaningful contributions from younger players up and down the roster.

Who do you think will be most improved Steeler next year? Shazier.

Who is headed for the steepest decline in 2015?William Gay.

Good questions and posts!

Hey I think I got a cure for what ails two teams. In the draft this year let's have Kevin Colbert draft two wide receivers for the Seahawks and then in turn Pete Carroll can pick two dbs for the Steelers!

You know it would work even though it's funny.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Why?

1. Slightly above expectation, ( 10-4 one playoff game)

2. Trending in the right direction (but not fast enough for most people), (WHY?)- Solid but not perfect OL, great supporting cast, AB, Bell, Bryant....and yes Wheaton. A defense that can only get better with youth......and strategic FA.

3.Biggest disappointment.... our last two first round draft picks.....nothing else to say...injury or not, they need to be on the field.

4. Biggest surprise- Will Gay, was not supposed to be a starter, 3 pick 6 (sorry lottery here in VA), met him at a Farrior Foundation fund raiser. Was glad to see him make "splash" plays.

5. Most Improved (NEXT YEAR)- Jarvis Jones

6. Don't like it....won't answer it