Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: UPDATE Bell out for Ravens Game

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

Re: UPDATE Bell out for Ravens Game

Quote Originally Posted by thesteelerdealer View Post
    Look I know it's not a division rival. But you totally discount the fact that Baltimore lost to Indy, a totally one dimensional team with Horrible Pass Blockers at RB. And what about the Bengals ? Are they not a huge Divisional rival of Baltimore's ? I mean how do you explain over 80 pass attempts by Dalton, and only 1 sack by Baltimore with a RB in Hill who I GUARANTEE you is no better then Josh Harris as a pass protecting RB Blocker. ?

Please, explain it to me. I am not being a A-Hole here. I want you to explain it. Thanks.
    It is explained by pressuring the QB with the D line and dropping LB's back in coverage to assist a weak secondary, vs pressure from the front seven. After the Chargers game, the Ravens figured out that trying to provide additional coverage downfield did not work if the QB had time to find open receivers and throw. Once they started to blitz more, they stopped giving up big passing yardage like they had been, and got more sacks.

Granted, maybe not against elite QBs, but the plan is essentially the same. And I am sure that is the plan Pees has in mind for tonight. The Ravens cannot allow Ben to drop back, stop, stare, whistle Dixie and find an open receiver 6-7 seconds after the snap. Yeah, he's good enough and mobile enough to elude a pass rush and still find an open receiver, but such pressure can force an INT or get a sack and maybe a fumble. Leaving him back there with limited to no pressure will be a disaster.

Junior Member Array title="BIG_Ben2004 is an unknown quantity at this point">

Have we all forgotten we have Ben Roethlisberger in the backfield? The guy who is known for his strength, escapability, and size? The guy who leads the NFL with a 70% completion percentage after contact?

Yes, Steelers-Ravens is a totally different ballgame than any other in the NFL, but even without Le'Veon, we're the better team. We can throw stats and this and that out, but it doesn't matter. This game comes down to heart, adaptability and the sheer will to win. When Pittsburgh HAD to win out to get the division and a playoff spot, they did it. Baltimore went to the Case Keenum led Texans and laid an egg. We're 1,000 times better than we were in week 2, and Baltimore is worse. Two corners have since gone to IR after the November 2nd beat down we dealt. A secondary that already is bad, is worse. Yes, we will miss Bell. There will be times during the game that we'll say, "Man, Le'Veon would have been a huge asset right there." But the fact of the matter is, Harris has learned EVERYTHING he knows from Bell and that coaching staff that developed Bell. Harris has been practicing and biding his time. Archer proved to be an asset in the passing game in the 4th quarter of the game last Sunday. Harris is a big dude. I have confidence that he'll pick up the blitz effectively more often than not.

Ben has a chance to cement his legacy and do what he's done many many times before, when we didn't have a stout running game. He can put the team on his back for 60 minutes and make enough plays. I'm also pretty confident that Harris has at least 50 yards rushing.

With Tate's experience and size, he'll pick up most of the blitzes. With Archer's speed, he'll be the safety valve in the passing game to keep the defense honest. And Harris' ability to power through the hole (as we saw a bit on Sunday), he's getting the bulk of the carries.

This is game is no gimme. This game is going to be fierce. It'll be close. But I believe that this team has shown time and time again, they can overcome adversity and show up when needed. I believe in our Steelers, and I think some of these young "unproven" guys will step up big tomorrow. Let's win it for Le'Veon. GO STEELERS!!!

The"concrete cobbler" Array title="cold-hard-steel has a brilliant future"> cold-hard-steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crow-Magnon View Post
    It is explained by pressuring the QB with the D line and dropping LB's back in coverage to assist a weak secondary, vs pressure from the front seven. After the Chargers game, the Ravens figured out that trying to provide additional coverage downfield did not work if the QB had time to find open receivers and throw. Once they started to blitz more, they stopped giving up big passing yardage like they had been, and got more sacks.

Granted, maybe not against elite QBs, but the plan is essentially the same. And I am sure that is the plan Pees has in mind for tonight. The Ravens cannot allow Ben to drop back, stop, stare, whistle Dixie and find an open receiver 6-7 seconds after the snap. Yeah, he's good enough and mobile enough to elude a pass rush and still find an open receiver, but such pressure can force an INT or get a sack and maybe a fumble. Leaving him back there with limited to no pressure will be a disaster.
    Are you calling Ben an elite qb ? I'm startin to like you Raven guys .
    Two bags are guarenteed to fit all sizes ,or your money back. If you are not completely satisfied call 1-800-GOO-DHELL We show 5 bags to choose from,most problems only need 2 bags .

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    Who's crying? Bell's loss is going to have an impact on this game. A MAJOR impact. Acknowledging that doesn't mean we're crying or bitching or that they're doomed to lose. Of all people, I should know not to underestimate this team.
    EXACTLY.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Re: Bell Injury Watch

Quote Originally Posted by steelpride12 View Post
    I trust his doctors and medical staff, but that's an injury that can be nagging regardless of the severity. Wednesday he had no limp, Thursday he was limping. Which means he is still bothered by it, which I don't consider ready. It's not worth risking his health for one game. Playoff game or not. We do not need him to win this game. In Ben we trust.
    Yep. Besides, they were saving Dri Archer for the playoffs.

I'd rather lose this game than destroy Bell's career. He is vital to the future of this team, and just that over the top talented. We just need a few more pieces on the defense for this team to be overall scary. Nobody really wants to play us now, just think what a few tweaks is going to do.

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cold-hard-steel View Post
    Are you calling Ben an elite qb ? I'm startin to like you Raven guys .
    I think his record speaks for himself, no matter what the football talking heads may say. I'll take rings over accolades any day of the week.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I think his record speaks for himself, no matter what the football talking heads may say. I'll take rings over accolades any day of the week.
    This clown here ^^^...he ain't so bad...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quest For 7 Array title="steelpride12 is a splendid one to behold"> steelpride12's Avatar

I still don't like you, you're a Ravens fan, and you wear purple.

But I wanna kiss you after that. I mean a big ole' wet one too.
    Missing you every day, thinking about the memories every moment, loving you every second Mom ♥ R.I.P. 1951-2011

"When you go out on the field and you're intense for 60 minutes, some guys don't want to do it. When I line up across from him, he has to do one of two things, he has to raise his level of play, or he's going to get his *** kicked all day"

- Greg Lloyd

Banned Array title="thesteelerdealer is on a distinguished road">

Sorry but, Baltimore averaging just 20 total points a game in it's last 4 games...against the likes of the Jags with their rookie QB, the Browns with a 3rd string rookie no one here has ever heard of, and with Joe Haden hurt, and a Miami team that has a High School O-Line, well...doesn't Impress me. The Steelers in their last 4 games are averaging over 30 a game. And we are at home. Now, if you wanna say that Bell's loss is worth more then 10 points a game...you can. You'd be NUTS...but you can.

Only was the Steelers lose tonight is if they beat themselves. Cause B-More just doesn't have the Chops, or pedigree.

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

If every Ravens fan was as classy as Crow, I'd probably like them a lot more...always enjoy your posts Crow

i really wish Bell was playing. This game will be a much harder game than it should be without him.

Sorry but, Baltimore averaging just 20 total points a game in it's last 4 games...against the likes of the Jags with their rookie QB, the Browns with a 3rd string rookie no one here has ever heard of, and with Joe Haden hurt, and a Miami team that has a High School O-Line, well...doesn't Impress me. The Steelers in their last 4 games are averaging over 30 a game. And we are at home. Now, if you wanna say that Bell's loss is worth more then 10 points a game...you can. You'd be NUTS...but you can.

Only was the Steelers lose tonight is if they beat themselves. Cause B-More just doesn't have the Chops, or pedigree.
    I understand your POV, as I had the same in 2012. Losing 4 of the last 5 was not the way you want your team heading to the post-season. IIRC, Baltimore was picked to lose every game. But they turned into a different team once they started in the playoffs.

Will they do the same? Seriously, I doubt it. They played the Colts at home in the WC round, which will not be the same as opening on the road in Heinz Field where they have been 0-3 in the post-season. Can they pull off an upset? I think so. Would I bet big $$$ on that? I'm no fool.

My prediction is Steelers 27- Ravens 24. Hopefully I'm wrong, but history often repeats itself. No matter what Harbaugh or the Ravens might say publicly, I guarantee that 0-3 kept them up at night reaching for the big bottle of Tums. Now, if a healthy Jimmy Smith was at CB, and either Monroe or Brown was at OT, I may feel different. But I think Baltimore has too many injuries at key positions to overcome.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Baltimore had both the chops and pedigree...as well as a nice pass rush that the Steelers couldn't adjust or plan for. No pass pro for Roethlisberger. Just as most of us expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    First, Congrats, Crow-Magnon. I'll be puking in my mouth while I do it, but next week I'm a Ravens fan.

Second: Steelerdealer, hopefully now you understand the game of football a bit better, and why you never count out a division rivalry.
    To be fair, thesteelerdealer did not want us to play the Ravens at all. He was trying to put a positive on it.

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    To be fair, thesteelerdealer did not want us to play the Ravens at all. He was trying to put a positive on it.
    He said it was in the bag with us being 3-0 against them in the playoffs..
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG Ī-

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smokin3000gt View Post
    He said it was in the bag with us being 3-0 against them in the playoffs..
    Again, he was trying to put a positive spin on it. Go back to his early posts. He wanted us to play the Chargers.

Honestly, I wanted us playing the Ravens, right up until Bell got injured.
    Yeah, I didn't honestly think we could overcome the loss of Bell. Not only as a player on the field, but also to the mind set of the team. That is OK. I saw some positive things that we can build on. Let's hope the coaches continue to develop and figure out the best way to fill the holes that need filling.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Honestly, I wanted us playing the Ravens, right up until Bell got injured.
    Not me. I was so pissed that the Chargers got themselves beat.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Yeah, I didn't honestly think we could overcome the loss of Bell. Not only as a player on the field, but also to the mind set of the team. That is OK. I saw some positive things that we can build on. Let's hope the coaches continue to develop and figure out the best way to fill the holes that need filling.
    Yep.

I remember being worried earlier in the year about what would happen if he got injured. It seems there's so many teams that have dual or triple threats from the backfield. A shame we can't put that together.

Yep.

I remember being worried earlier in the year about what would happen if he got injured. It seems there's so many teams that have dual or triple threats from the backfield. A shame we can't put that together.
    Well Archer is young and if he hits the weights, he may get to 190lbs, soaking wet. Maybe he can replace Landry next year on clipboard duty.

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Not me. I was so pissed that the Chargers got themselves beat.
    LOL. It's the charges. What do ya' expect?

Well Archer is young and if he hits the weights, he may get to 190lbs, soaking wet. Maybe he can replace Landry next year on clipboard duty.

I had pretty high hopes for archer, but it just didn't work out. Bring him in to camp next year, but if he doesn't show any improvement by the last round of cuts, I'd let him go.