Thread: Aussie Sprinter turns to NFL for future career

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

Aussie Sprinter turns to NFL for future career

Looks like I am not the only delusional Aussie around here.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ks-to-the-nfl/

Australian Olympic sprinter looks to the NFL
    Posted by Michael David Smith on May 31, 2010 10:59 AM ET
    Josh Ross, a sprinter who ran the 100-meter dash in the 2004 Olympics, is the latest Australian athlete to give the NFL a try. Ross told the Australian newspaper The Age that he has an NFL workout in Dallas scheduled.

"I realise there's a long, long way to go yet, but I'm determined to show them what I can do," Ross said. "It will be very competitive over there but it's not at all daunting for me. I'm used to that kind of pressure."

A YouTube video touting Ross as an NFL prospect includes the highly dubious claim that he can run a 4.10-second 40-yard dash. Ross is obviously fast, having run a personal best 10.22-second 100 meters in the 2004 Olympics, but there have been former NCAA sprinters with faster 100-meter dash times than that at the NFL scouting combine, and no one has ever broken 4.2 seconds, let alone 4.1.

But Ross sounds sincere about giving American football a try, and his coach suggested that he would consider Arena Football if that's what he needs to do to get NFL teams to notice him.

Australia has already produced multiple NFL punters, and it might not be long before we see an Australian athlete make it as a position player as well. In addition to Ross, Australian rugby star Greg Inglis is drawing interest as a potential linebacker or special teams player.

More and more scouts are starting to eye off potential Aussie talent. And not just as punters.

There are some talented and physical specimens playing professional football down here that might be worth a trial.

Check out Greg Inglis - one of our current superstars

"NUMBER 7 FOR OUR BELOVED ONE IN HEAVEN"

Senior Member Array title="Boomerang is an unknown quantity at this point"> Boomerang's Avatar

Inglis could bring something to the table ,a superb athlete.

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

I still am not sure exactly where Greg Inglis would fit.

Initially as a punt / kick returner.

Beyond that he might be a good combo HB / TE

"NUMBER 7 FOR OUR BELOVED ONE IN HEAVEN"

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
    I still am not sure exactly where Greg Inglis would fit.

Initially as a punt / kick returner.

Beyond that he might be a good combo HB / TE
    Just how fast is Inglis? He looked like a fairly large gentleman with good speed.

Didn't see much suddenness and glide though.

AML