Thread: Thomas: 'I don’t think I left my mark yet'

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Thomas: 'I don’t think I left my mark yet'

Shamarko Thomas might not realize it, but he has indeed left his mark through triumph and tragedy.

His smile is ever present. Every time you see safety Shamarko Thomas, it’s there. After a tough day, ask him how he is doing and he will tell you with a smile, just great. When he was battling injuries earlier in the season, the smile never wavered. After one of his workouts, when sweat is pouring off of him, he is smiling.

It’s not something he thinks about, it’s just something that is a part of him, something his late mother always encouraged him to do.

“She told me smile at adversity,” said Thomas. “There is a storm, but sunshine at the end. So I just smile at adversity.”

It’s not always easy, though. Especially not with the adversity that Thomas has had to face in his life. Most people would be angry, bitter, and mad at the world.

But not Thomas. He just keeps on smiling.

Shamarko Thomas’ mother was just 15-years old when he was born. His biological father was never really in the picture. There was no relationship between the two.

Too young to care for him herself, his mother gave him to his paternal grandmother to take care of for the short term.

When his mother turned 18, she took over sole responsibility of raising Thomas, moving from Champaign, Illinois where he was born, to California. It wasn’t easy, though. There were ups and downs and the young Thomas saw things happen to his mother that no child should ever have to witness..............

Read more @ http://www.steelers.com/news/article...e-d8a902560535

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Re: Thomas: 'I don’t think I left my mark yet'

God bless you Shamarko, you have had a tougher road to hoe than most, but you were also blessed with the guidance of a strong Mother who cares so much for you. I believe your faith and work ethic will take you far in life and wish you nothing but the best. I am glad you are a Steeler.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

“She told me smile at adversity,” said Thomas. “There is a storm, but sunshine at the end. So I just smile at adversity.”
    Amen
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

great guy off the field for sure i am hoping soon we can see this on the field. IMHO mitchell should be sitting and he should be starting

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I keep forgetting that this is only Thomas' second year. I keep having it as his third. I guess I will back off some of my cynicism on the dude and go back to hoping that he can be a future building block.

Dwinsgames

one would only hope he has yet to leave his footprint