Thread: Black Woman Cries Racism Because White Man Sits Next To Her On A Train

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Black Woman Cries Racism Because White Man Sits Next To Her On A Train

There’s still a couple of weeks left in 2014, but this may go down as the most insane racism rant of the year. Basically, a black woman is freaking out over the “racism” of a white man sitting next to her on a train. She is infuriated by this white man’s sense of entitlement to take a seat in her proximity on a public mode of transportation.

Brittney Cooper teaches Women’s and Gender Studies and Africana Studies at Rutgers so we already know she’s full of crap. She unleashed her racial tirade on Salon today. I’m going to let her start the story to erase any doubt of exaggeration on my part:

On Friday, I was on the train to New York to do a teach-in on Ferguson at NYU. Beats headphones on, lost in thought, peering out the window, I suddenly saw a white hand shoving my work carry-on toward me. Startled, I looked up to see the hand belonged to a white guy, who was haphazardly handling my open bag, with my laptop perched just inside to make space for himself on the seat next to me.

That he wanted the seat on the now full train was not the problem. That he assumed the prerogative to place his hands on my bag, grab it, shove it at me, all while my computer was unsecured and peaking out, infuriated me. I said to him, “Never put your hands on my property.”

His reply: “Well, you should listen when I talk to you.” That line there, the command that when he, whoever he was, spoke, I should automatically listen encapsulates the breadth of the battle against racism we have to fight in this country.

Did you get all that? This woman had her headphones on, wasn’t paying attention, and was occupying more than one seat with her stuff on a busy commuter train. When the white man couldn’t get her attention, he moved her stuff so he could sit down. It’s not a big deal other than this woman was being kind of rude, but check this out:

Buoyed by his own entitlement, his own sense of white male somebodiness, this passenger never even considered that he might simply try harder to get my attention before putting his hands on my stuff. His own need to control space, his own sense of entitlement to move anything in his way even if it held something of value to another person, his belief that he had the right to do whatever he needed to do to make the environment conform to his will are all hallmarks of white privilege.

That’s two “entitlements” one “white privilege” and a “white male somebodiness” just because this guy wanted to sit down on a train. If you are laughing right now, you should be. The comedy keeps coming as Cooper plays the “what if” game:

In the reverse scenario, a black man would never get on the train, snatch up a white woman’s bag, and shove it in her face. But then black women are rarely entitled to the courtesies proffered to white women, and black people never presume they are entitled to occupy interracial spaces so aggressively.

Yeah, because black men never “snatch up” white women’s bags, right? I guess she’s technically correct. A black man wouldn’t do this to get a seat on a train; he’d do it because many black men feel “entitled” to other people’s stuff.

I don’t have enough space to cover it all, but Cooper goes off on this “racist” white guy for another couple thousand words. She compares herself to Rosa Parks and likens the incident to the civil rights struggle of the 1960’s. While I don’t see any racism in what happened on the train, I found plenty of it in this rant:

As I fought back the urge to pummel this man, it occurred to me that far too many white people really don’t get how short black America’s collective fuse is in this moment.

And:

So despite my clarity on the cancer that is white supremacy, much of my endless patience with white people and simultaneous lack of patience with white people is rooted in a foundational belief that they can do better.

To understand how racist these statements are, just play Cooper’s “what if” game. What if a white person said they were fighting back the urge to pummel a black person? What if a white person said they had no patience for black people? See, isn’t that a fun game?

If this is the freak-out we get because a white man wanted to sit down next to her on a train, imagine the rant when a white guy politely asks her to move because she’s blocking the aisle at the grocery store.

For some reason I think this is a result of Al Sharpton’s Action Network handing out training guides to black activists titled: How To Find Racism Where None Exists.

http://downtrend.com/71superb/black-...edium=facebook

- - - Updated - - -

"A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Black Woman Cries Racism Because White Man Sits Next To Her On A Train

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

So, when does Ms. Cooper get invited to the White House? You know it's coming...

Buoyed by his own entitlement, his own sense of white male somebodiness, this passenger never even considered that he might simply try harder to get my attention before putting his hands on my stuff.

Like what? Tapping her on the shoulder? Then she'd be bitching about him being a racist because he "invaded her personal space."

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Looking at her I think I would have rather stood the whole train ride.

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Looking at her I think I would have rather stood the whole train ride.
    Stop it, that's racist and ignorant!!

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAsteeler View Post
    Stop it, that's racist and ignorant!!
    Cut her and does she not bleed gravy? Er, maybe that's not exactly how that's supposed to go...?

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Jackassedness does not discriminate.

It comes in all shapes, sizes and colors.

I see she is a college level professor.

My biggest concern is if she let's her strong opinions affect how she teaches.

Students are impressionable and teachers with very strong opinion sometimes have a tendency to tell their students what to think instead of teaching them HOW to think.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

*sighs* *facepalm*

I need a beer or 4...

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

It must be terrible having to live your life like that. A shrug of the shoulders and a polite smile keeps the blood pressure in check.

That is one big chip to be carrying around on your shoulder, especially living in a big city. What a waste of your 15 minutes of fame.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

When she sweats it smells like bacon grease.
    All Defense!

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Jackassedness does not discriminate.

It comes in all shapes, sizes and colors.

I see she is a college level professor.

My biggest concern is if she let's her strong opinions affect how she teaches.

Students are impressionable and teachers with very strong opinion sometimes have a tendency to tell their students what to think instead of teaching them HOW to think.
    Concern nothing. It's the reality of it and you know it. Indoctrination is what these sort of "professor's" specialize in.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    When she sweats it smells like bacon grease.
    That was uncalled for.

However she does look like she is farting out of her mouth in that picture.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

You hear that white people, pretty much everything you do is racist, so says black people who want to abuse the race card for the sake of attention.

Hophead Array title="SCSTILLER has a spectacular aura about"> SCSTILLER's Avatar

Oh, there was definitely racism here...on her part.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go!" -- John Muir

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

Quote Originally Posted by SCSTILLER View Post
    Oh, there was definitely racism here...on her part.
    And privilege/entitlement. Just because she has a high income and a PhD, she feels she has the right to take up multiple seats on a crowded train. The riff-raff 99%ers should have to stand because they're less important than her laptop.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Racism happens in every race and at all socio-economic levels. It is outwardly showing how petty and weak a person is who succumbs to it. I have seen people who were surrounded by blatant racism and have never learned how to grow or see past that ideology. Racism is for the weak minded, it is a shame that those who are immersed in it refuse to see past it. No matter what color of skin they have and what color they are discriminating against.

Every race also has something good to add to society.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Why does it seem that everyone of the world's stupidest 1% is living in this country contributing to the liberal population that is destroying it

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    Racism happens in every race and at all socio-economic levels. It is outwardly showing how petty and weak a person is who succumbs to it. I have seen people who were surrounded by blatant racism and have never learned how to grow or see past that ideology. Racism is for the weak minded, it is a shame that those who are immersed in it refuse to see past it. No matter what color of skin they have and what color they are discriminating against.

Every race also has something good to add to society.
    You would think education would be the way to get the weak-minded to see past the racist ideology, but as we can plainly see from this bitch's rant, that's not always the case. People just want to remain willfully ignorant because actually educating yourself and realizing that there is good in every race requires effort, while remaining ignorant is easy. It also doesn't help when the "educator" is willfully ignorant himself/herself.

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    That was uncalled for.

However she does look like she is farting out of her mouth in that picture.
    Every time she speaks I'm sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Quote Originally Posted by smokin3000gt View Post
    Every time she speaks I'm sure.

Banned Array title="thesteelerdealer is on a distinguished road">

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Cut her and does she not bleed gravy? Er, maybe that's not exactly how that's supposed to go...?

That's Cold. But also funny as Hell.