Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2014: A winning season, bitches!

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Re: 2014: A winning season, bitches!

Gay has been playing better of late, even though I still see him as a valuable nickel back not a starter, and the young CBs seem to be improving, even though I think they should never see the field as starters. If we can give them help in the form of a pass rush they could do well enough to win in the playoffs, provided our offense can give them a descent lead. Our offense has shown it can be an explosive ofinse and still control the ball in long drives. I still think the these games will depend on the play of both lines. We will need a good game on both sides of the ball, but yes, once in the playoff I think we can win.

AML

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Yeah. I'm not saying Whisenhunt or Rivera are much better than Tomlin, I just know exactly what garbage we have in Tomlin and at this stage, I'd rather have the other garbage than this garbage...lol.
    Fair enough. I know there are better HCs than Tomlin out there as well.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    And people too close to the team (meaning those of us here!) likely look at things too closely and get wrapped up in small details -- making mountains out of molehills. Stepping back and taking a larger view -- 2012 was the final nail in the coffin of the previous SB core. 2013 was the 1st season in a multi-year rebuild. 2014 is the second and 2015 will likely be the completion of it.

So having a winning record in year 2 of a massive roster overhaul, salary cap issues, a youth movement, and talent gaps -- what more can you hope for as a fan? This roster basically cratered in 2012 and the worst it got was two years of 8-8? And 2 seasons later, respectable football people are talking about this team as the 3 seed in the AFC playoffs and having the potential to challenge the Broncos and the Pats. There are @ least 28 other franchises that would kill for that level of stubborness and shitheadedness.

And I realize that the roster would never have cratered if the 08 and 09 draft classes didn't stink, but not everything can be sunshine and rainbows.

Well, point taken, but my opinion of Tomlin is still that he has serious flaws and those are reflected in the team. Things could be far worse, that's for sure, I just think we could do better, and my optimism from this winning season is tempered by the fact that I think we got an artificial one-time boost. I hope that doesn't cause us to get too full of ourselves.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Well, point taken, but my opinion of Tomlin is still that he has serious flaws and those are reflected in the team. Things could be far worse, that's for sure, I just think we could do better, and my optimism from this winning season is tempered by the fact that I think we got an artificial one-time boost. I hope that doesn't cause us to get too full of ourselves.
    I can see that too. What can this team accomplish with (potentially) a division winner's schedule? Who knows.

I guess I keep coming back to the fact that I don't see a ton of HC's out there that are really doing a measurably better job. There are some, but not more than 1 in 4. What I do see is a high # of HC's doing a far WORSE job. That is what scares me when I hear the calls for firing Tomlin.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

I've seen good and bad with Tomlin. I think the job he did in 2009 was the single worst by a Steeler coach since Bill Austin back in 68. Conversely I thought the job he did navigating through Ben's suspension and so forth in getting the Steelers to the SB in 2010 was among the best single season coaching jobs I ever witnessed by a Steeler coach. This year I've seen elements of both those seasons. I guess I wont go any further with this until we see how the season plays out.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I can see that too. What can this team accomplish with (potentially) a division winner's schedule? Who knows.
    Heh we'd go 15-1 or something. We only play down to lousy teams. :P It's almost like we're a rock band, but all we got are greatest hits right now. So we can out-spectacularize the big boys... but the Jets? They're Hall & Oates. And they just keep on persisting... even though they kinda suck we don't have the constitution to hold it back.

You got to be a hard-ass to handle the Hall & Oates.