Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2014: A winning season, bitches!

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: 2014: A winning season, bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    No one thought the Giants or Ravens were serious SB contenders either as WC teams, and yet, both won titles. The 2005 Steelers weren't really thought of as a contender either - they were the underdog in every AFC playoff game. Yet, they were the ones hoisting the Lombardi Trophy.

All you need to do is get into the show. After that, absolutely anything can happen.

I would like to be wrong, but I do not believe...The Steelers will have to beat the Patriots and/or Broncos this year and last year against the Patriots, the Steelers have allowed 55 points and 600 yards against the pats and this year, the defense is worse than in 2013

In 2005, the Steelers were a favorite against the Bengals, light underdog against the broncos and favorite against Seattle...Only the win against the Colts were a big upset

But it is true that the 2007 Giants were highly unlikely....Probably the most unlikely champion of all sports since a very long time

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    I would like to be wrong, but I do not believe...The Steelers will have to beat the Patriots and/or Broncos this year and last year against the Patriots, the Steelers have allowed 55 points and 600 yards against the pats and this year, the defense is worse than in 2013

In 2005, the Steelers were a favorite against the Bengals, light underdog against the broncos and favorite against Seattle...Only the win against the Colts were a big upset

But it is true that the 2007 Giants were highly unlikely....Probably the most unlikely champion of all sports since a very long time
    Yes, it would be unlikely they get to the Super Bowl. But it's not an impossibility. That's what I'm saying.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Like X said make the show and, anything can happen. If Ben gets hot and, the oline can hold up look out.

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

I think of the 2006 Colts and their horrific run defense during the regular season. Once they hit the playoffs (and got Bob Sanders back) they played light out. Who knows what will happen if the Steelers make it?
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

I'll take a 51-49 SB victory.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steel striker View Post
    Like X said make the show and, anything can happen. If Ben gets hot and, the oline can hold up look out.

Got to make it first. As recent history tells us this team is every bit as capable of shitting the bed and losing the last two as it is of any other remaining possible finish. Not trying to rain on the parade, but we all know with this Steeler team that can't be ruled out.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Well, nobody is going to rain on my parade because I'm very excited we've had a winning season, and I'm going to enjoy it. I believe this team can make the playoffs and win the division.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

For me, the goal every year is 1) to not have a losing record and 2)to make the playoffs.
    I'm easy like that...

Mission #1 accomplished and #2 is within our grasp. That's good enough for me.
    Having said that... while I'm hopeful we will make the playoffs, I'm very concerned about our secondary.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

I am solo glad that the Rooney's run this ORG and not others.....because I'm thinking they know how to do it.....RIGHT!!!

Thee Conservative Steeler Array title="steel9guy is on a distinguished road"> steel9guy's Avatar

I know we looked bad and all on defense but you never know. If we get hot and the D gels right now then look out. I still don't trust this team or the coaching but to be 9-5 with the losses they have is really impressive.

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

The team is so bewildering.

I admit I've had bouts of wanting to see Tomlin go, but it's not going to happen with anything better than 6-10, and he'll get his extension I guarantee it. He's an above average coach who happens to be terrible in two regards: having the players mentally prepared... and clock management in crucial moments.

That second issue, I don't know, not a big deal with a new coach but he's had enough years of the issue not improving now. What do you do, hire a clock coach or something to hang out beside Tomlin. Or even just suck it up.

But what do you do about that first issue?

_

Colbert is a mixed bag too. I have news for his haters: Other teams make bad draft picks too. But Colbert isn't all roses either and there's a lot of nuance to his problems. The biggest of which is that our drafts often seem epic on paper right after the fact, but we get the high fail rate anyways. So who's responsible for that? Colbert? Coaching? Positional development coaches? Scouting? You've also got to wonder just who it is making the call that "we're good on cornerbacks" for instance. If you're Colbert, and you've got Dick LeBeau and Carnell Lake telling you "we're good on cornerbacks, trust" -- do you pick one high anyways? Isn't that the kind of thing that put a wedge between Donahoe and Cowher? So what's better, trusting your coaches, or organizational instability...

So while I've been downright mad at Colbert at times, he's not operating in a vacuum either.

_

Haley + Munchak + Saxon = love. (You'd be a fool not to give Saxon a spot on that pedestal IMO)

_

Here's the rub. Coaching staff probably knew they were looking at a transition year. Shazier + Tuitt was the right call. Get them used to the system. Get your cornerbacks *this* offseason... cornerbacks are much easier to "plug n' play" - so put them in behind a competent defensive front that kinda knows what it's doing. Maybe that was even the plan all along and the "we're good with CBs" was a brilliant PR ploy to give that D-line a transition year first. They anticipated the public reaction to this year's CBs but were planning on addressing it this offseason anyway - we can hope.

_

Still not happy about motivation levels to begin the season and against bad teams. I'll be looking for some cautious turnover on the training staff... though don't blow it up. While it hadn't been beautiful we didn't get the complete circus of injuries like the past few seasons, so progress maybe.

_

What's clear is that a lot of pieces are in place. Next season I expect us to be spanking bad teams, instead of losing to them.

Tomlin's contract ends after the 2016 season

I would wait after the 2015 season to give an extension to Tomlin unless the steelers go to the AFC title game this year

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerette View Post
    I admit I've had bouts of wanting to see Tomlin go, but it's not going to happen with anything better than 6-10, and he'll get his extension I guarantee it. He's an above average coach who happens to be terrible in two regards: having the players mentally prepared... and clock management in crucial moments ... and talent evaluation in the draft ... and player development, which is why most of our draft picks rarely get any better ... and having focus rather than "swagger" ... and actually having control of the team rather than delegating everything to his assistants ... and being able to stand up to or overrule anyone in the organization including his own assistants ... and having any kind of vision at all for the defense, especially as a "defensive coach" ...
    I added a few for you, in case you forgot. But other than that, sure, he's a great coach.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Maybe we shoulda hired Whiz...or Rivera...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I'd take them both over Tomlin...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I'd take them both over Tomlin...lol.
    Not surprising, really.

I do find it ironic that a guy that many Steelers fans claimed wasn't smart enough to coach a Pop Warner team has taken a team that was "built by Whisenhunt" and is getting better results with it than Whisenhunt himself ever did. Many of the same ones who have claimed for years that Whisenhunt (who is well on his way to completely running a second team under his charge into the ground in Nashville) should have gotten the job over Tomlin on the basis of a freak Super Bowl appearance that occurred mostly because Fitzgerald was playing out of his mind.

What I'm saying is that maybe Steelers fans aren't exactly the best judges when it comes to coaches...

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Not surprising, really.

I do find it ironic that a guy that many Steelers fans claimed wasn't smart enough to coach a Pop Warner team has taken a team "built by Whisenhunt" and is getting better results with it than Whisenhunt himself ever did. Many of the same ones who have claimed for years that Whisenhunt (who is well on his way to running a second team under his charge into the ground in Nashville) should have gotten the job over Tomlin on the basis of a freak Super Bowl appearance that occurred mostly because Fitzgerald was playing out of his mind.

What I'm saying is that maybe Steelers fans aren't exactly the best judge when it comes to coaches...

If you're talking about Arians, he's apparently the reverse Norv Turner - shitty coordinator, but good head coach. I'll be the first to admit I didn't see that coming.

But not being able to predict the future is a hell of a lot different from actually watching a guy fuck up for several years in a row and finally saying you've had enough of his bullshit. You'd need to know more than the average fan if you were the one hiring a new coach, but figuring out when someone sucks is not rocket science.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Some interesting stats and thoughts on Tomlin -- http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...-tomlin-record

Also some perspective on the team;s play-off chances -- http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...broncos-logjam

It seems that those outside of Pittsburgh have a more positive view on the roster, the staff, the direction, and the prospects of the team.

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    If you're talking about Arians, he's apparently the reverse Norv Turner - shitty coordinator, but good head coach. I'll be the first to admit I didn't see that coming.

But not being able to predict the future is a hell of a lot different from actually watching a guy fuck up for several years in a row and finally saying you've had enough of his bullshit. You'd need to know more than the average fan if you were the one hiring a new coach, but figuring out when someone sucks is not rocket science.
    I'm also saying that many Steelers fans were wrong about Whisenhunt. They were also wrong about Rivera. I also submit we'd be no better off with either of them in charge than Tomlin.

Bruce Arians is maybe not the best OC, but he's a winner

Arians has even been in the playoffs in 2002 with the browns(The Browns!!!!), which is very impressive and he almost won a shootout against the Steelers in the playoffs!

I'm also saying that many Steelers fans were wrong about Whisenhunt. They were also wrong about Rivera. I also submit we'd be no better off with either of them in charge than Tomlin.
    Probably true, but the same idea. Predicting who's going to be a good coach in the future is hard. Knowing when a guy is fucking up right in front of you is easy. I wouldn't claim to be knowledgeable about "who would we hire," but I'm fully confident that "we need someone else besides this jackass" is the right call.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Some interesting stats and thoughts on Tomlin -- http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...-tomlin-record

Also some perspective on the team;s play-off chances -- http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...broncos-logjam

It seems that those outside of Pittsburgh have a more positive view on the roster, the staff, the direction, and the prospects of the team.

People outside of Pittsburgh tend to follow the team a lot less and see surface issues. A lot of them are the same ones who were saying the retirement of Hines Ward and Aaron Smith were huge losses, when in reality anyone who followed the team closely knew they hadn't made much impact in recent years anyway. The article is pretty much right on about our immediate chances for this year - "deeply flawed but dangerous." But there are important elements - such as the fact that many of our problems stem from institutional stubbornness and general shitheadedness - that the outside observer is probably not going to look deep enough to catch.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Arians made a 4000+ yard passer out of Kelly Holcombe, and was a better offensive coordinator than he gets credit for. His most typical critique is that he sucked at running the ball and fell in love with the deep pass. Look at these #'s : http://www.pro-football-reference.co...es/AriaBr0.htm

If I'm reading this right, he actually ranked 3, 9, 18, 8, 19 in rushing attempts. His biggest problem was in scoring points, particularly in the red zone - something that still plagues this team.

Also another fun bit - -Mike Tonlin's challenges in all their glory -- http://www.pro-football-reference.co...es/TomlMi0.htm

For the sake of comparison here is the evil emperor's -- http://www.pro-football-reference.co...es/BeliBi0.htm

Probably true, but the same idea. Predicting who's going to be a good coach in the future is hard. Knowing when a guy is fucking up right in front of you is easy. I wouldn't claim to be knowledgeable about "who would we hire," but I'm fully confident that "we need someone else besides this jackass" is the right call.

People outside of Pittsburgh tend to follow the team a lot less and see surface issues. A lot of them are the same ones who were saying the retirement of Hines Ward and Aaron Smith were huge losses, when in reality anyone who followed the team closely knew they hadn't made much impact in recent years anyway. The article is pretty much right on about our immediate chances for this year - "deeply flawed but dangerous." But there are important elements - such as the fact that many of our problems stem from institutional stubbornness and general shitheadedness - that the outside observer is probably not going to look deep enough to catch.
    And people too close to the team (meaning those of us here!) likely look at things too closely and get wrapped up in small details -- making mountains out of molehills. Stepping back and taking a larger view -- 2012 was the final nail in the coffin of the previous SB core. 2013 was the 1st season in a multi-year rebuild. 2014 is the second and 2015 will likely be the completion of it.

So having a winning record in year 2 of a massive roster overhaul, salary cap issues, a youth movement, and talent gaps -- what more can you hope for as a fan? This roster basically cratered in 2012 and the worst it got was two years of 8-8? And 2 seasons later, respectable football people are talking about this team as the 3 seed in the AFC playoffs and having the potential to challenge the Broncos and the Pats. There are @ least 28 other franchises that would kill for that level of stubborness and shitheadedness.

And I realize that the roster would never have cratered if the 08 and 09 draft classes didn't stink, but not everything can be sunshine and rainbows.

I do not think the Steelers can challenge the Broncos or Patriots this year....Not with that defense

I do not think the Steelers can challenge the Broncos or Patriots this year....Not with that defense
    They can certainly put enough points on the board to make it interesting. That is something that none of the other AFC contenders can do.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Not surprising, really.

I do find it ironic that a guy that many Steelers fans claimed wasn't smart enough to coach a Pop Warner team has taken a team that was "built by Whisenhunt" and is getting better results with it than Whisenhunt himself ever did. Many of the same ones who have claimed for years that Whisenhunt (who is well on his way to completely running a second team under his charge into the ground in Nashville) should have gotten the job over Tomlin on the basis of a freak Super Bowl appearance that occurred mostly because Fitzgerald was playing out of his mind.

What I'm saying is that maybe Steelers fans aren't exactly the best judges when it comes to coaches...
    Yeah. I'm not saying Whisenhunt or Rivera are much better than Tomlin, I just know exactly what garbage we have in Tomlin and at this stage, I'd rather have the other garbage than this garbage...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

They can certainly put enough points on the board to make it interesting. That is something that none of the other AFC contenders can do.
    The offense would need to be almost perfect, because I do not think the defense will do a lot of stop.And be perfect, it's very hard to do, especially than the defense of the pats and broncos is very good this year

I think the Ravens have a better chance because they have a very good pass rush and their offense is balanced....Of course their CB is terrible but this is the same thing for the steelers, but at least the ravens have a pass rush

The offense would need to be almost perfect, because I do not think the defense will do a lot of stop.And be perfect, it's very hard to do, especially than the defense of the pats and broncos is very good this year

I think the Ravens have a better chance because they have a very good pass rush and their offense is balanced....Of course their CB is terrible but this is the same thing for the steelers, but at least the ravens have a pass rush
    If the Pats and the Broncos have a better defense than Pittsburgh and better offenses, what in the world will they do to Ravens team that couldn't stop the Steelers or move the ball against them? Flacco in a shoot-out? Does anyone really trust that?

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Yeah. I'm not saying Whisenhunt or Rivera are much better than Tomlin, I just know exactly what garbage we have in Tomlin and at this stage, I'd rather have the other garbage than this garbage...lol.
    Based on what? Rivera can't coach his way out of a paper bag and Whiz is running his second franchise into the ground.

Take a look at both rosters (http://www.panthers.com/team/roster.html and http://www.titansonline.com/team/roster.html) and then look at the Steelers roster and tell me which of the 3 teams is better suited to enter a period of contention.

The Panthers are Kuechly, the suddenly ineffective Charles Johnson, Cam, and Benjamin with a "bunch of just a guy" types rounding out the roster. The Titans are in even worse shape.

If the Pats and the Broncos have a better defense than Pittsburgh and better offenses, what in the world will they do to Ravens team that couldn't stop the Steelers or move the ball against them? Flacco in a shoot-out? Does anyone really trust that?
    The two games between the steelers and ravens were very different this year

One game the Steelers scored 43 points, the other games it was 6 points!

I think that the Ravens can beat the Broncos or pats, but the Ravens have a pass rush, which the Steelers not have.And when you have no pass rush against Manning or Brady, you'll get destroy, as it was the case last year in the game between Steelers-Patriots