Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heroes & Goats vs Falcons

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Heroes & Goats vs Falcons

Steelers get over their bug and beat a losing team on the road.

8-8 is no more. Fire Mike Tomlin!

The Heroes: The usual. Ben had a deadly efficient excellent game, even though the stats don't show. Brown was Brown. Bell was silenced on the ground, but still did his damage through the air.

Vince Williams with the HUGE tackle to stop the Atlanta threat.

Big Play Willie Gay for the pick 6.

Goats: Secondary, of course. But it's a given. Matt Ryan and the Falcons in the dome.
    Last edited by Edman; 12-14-2014 at 03:33 PM.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Heroes & Goats vs Falcons

Ben and Brown

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Kudos to Gay for the pick 6.

Ben and Brown as usual. Haley has to have a plan B for the running game when a team sells out to stop it up the middle. Play action and/or sweeps.

Kudos to Gay for the pick 6.
    He has 3 TD this year!!!

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Gb loses to the Bills 21-13. Rogers, first career game 2 INTs and 0 TDs. Not so amazing after all.

Give the game ball to Billy Gay for the pivotal Pick 6 that the team built upon.
    All Defense!

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Gb loses to the Bills 21-13. Rogers, first career game 2 INTs and 0 TDs. Not so amazing after all.

Give the game ball to Billy Gay for the pivotal Pick 6 that the team built upon.

The bills defense is great!....Manning was not good against this defense last week too

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Game Balls: Ben, don't win without him. AB, don't win without him. Gay, pick six that was the difference. Wheaton, made some big plays. Todd Haley, great call at the end.

Goats: The rest of the pass defense is an obvious one. Bell, picked up minimal yards, should have picked up more. O-line, poor run-blocking. The refs, they were HORRIBLE.

Dwinsgames

27-35-360 yards NO TURNOVERS .... there is your MVP today

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Game ball Willie G. : 8 Tackles, pick 6. Ben and AB, of course

Goat: The refs

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Game Balls: Ben, don't win without him. AB, don't win without him. Gay, pick six that was the difference. Wheaton, made some big plays. Todd Haley, great call at the end.

Goats: The rest of the pass defense is an obvious one. Bell, picked up minimal yards, should have picked up more. O-line, poor run-blocking. The refs, they were HORRIBLE.
    I will give Haley some props as well for his 4th quarter play calling. Once he was done with that shotgun draw he called a nice, ballsy but appropriately so, game. If you know they are selling out to stop the run (with a banged up secondary to boot) play action is a great weapon. In fact, it's always a great weapon for us. We don't need to establish the run to do it. We've established the run for the season. It's not like people aren't afraid of Bell.

Anyway, just wanted to give Haley some love since I am usually one of his detractors.

Senior Member Array title="Steeltreal will become famous soon enough"> Steeltreal's Avatar

Can a Ref be a Goat? Give me fukin break when a Linebacker cant sack a QB clean Period. Lot of other bonehead calls on both teams, just smh Wow
    "It comes with the Territory" - Floyd 'Money' Mayweather

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Gay, Ben, Bell get game balls.

The O-Line gets the goats for me. When the Falcons get a sack rushing 3 and the Steelers have 6 in blocking...there's a problem. The line, at times was just collapsing almost as fast as the ball going from Pouncey to Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Gay....made the difference, had the first TD of the game, and worked hard to get in the Endzone, (watch it back on film). Also he was inspired. Made tackles all over the field.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

A win and I'll take it, but I'm *very* concerned about our secondary.

Game balls to the entire receiving corps. They had some drops, but even those weren't due to mistakes on their part.

Honorary game ball to Todd Haley. Time for him to get some props.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I will give Haley some props as well for his 4th quarter play calling.
    Not me. We should have been gashing them with plays like the 25-yard game-icer to Heath all afternoon, considering they spent the entire game selling out to stop the run. They should have been made to pay much more dearly for loading the box with 8 and 9 guys all day. That's how you stopped the 2001 Steelers. But what did we do for most of the game? Runs up the middle and draws on first down and often on second down as well.

I'm happy for the win, but no way should it have been as close as it was.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Steelers did everything they had to do to beat a team they should, including that third and one at the end of the game, I don't know who called it and I don't care, but it was one of the best "nail-in-the-coffin", plays, that I've seen in a while.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Will Gay. O should have had 2 TD's in the RZ and came away with 6 points.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Not me. We should have been gashing them with plays like the 25-yard game-icer to Heath all afternoon, considering they spent the entire game selling out to stop the run. They should have been made to pay much more dearly for loading the box with 8 and 9 guys all day. That's how you stopped the 2001 Steelers. But what did we do for most of the game? Runs up the middle and draws on first down and often on second down as well.

Good call. Looks like the Falcons game planned for Bell's running, but we just went in there with a handful of scripted plays. Didn't even go back much to the 3 TE package which was a guarantee against a better D last week.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I actually agree with you, but it's funny how expectations can influence me. Given what I expected of Haley at the point, he surprised me with his willingness to read the situation for what it was (eventually) and do what was necessary. We needed to be bold at a certain point and use play action as a weapon to seal this win. I'm so used to us turtling and losing these types of games that perhaps I get overly praisey when we actually game plan correctly within a game. It gives me hope...

... but hope is dangerous because, man, my Steelers love to get my hopes up just to dash them against the jagged rocks of reality. I know those rocks are coming, but knowing isn't gonna make it hurt any less when they rip me to shreds.

But that aside, woo-hoo!! Here's me enjoying the win!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Agree. Ben should've had close to 450 yards this game.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeltreal View Post
    Can a Ref be a Goat? Give me fukin break when a Linebacker cant sack a QB clean Period. Lot of other bonehead calls on both teams, just smh Wow

The refs are an embarrassment. But some went against us and some went our way. At the end of the game, the play action pass to Heath that clinched it, should have been called back. Ramon foster clearly moved before the snap. Don't know how they missed it? But thankful all the same that they did.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Ben's Wingman Array title="Merchant has a spectacular aura about"> Merchant's Avatar

I remember a few years back when everyone, including me, was ripping on William Gay. And now he's our best corner. Who would've thunk it..

Senior Member Array title="CapLovesTroyP43 is a jewel in the rough"> CapLovesTroyP43's Avatar

Loved the game and I actually watched this one! It was all good to me. We won. Got the third down when we needed it to win. Gay probably saved the day. Miller too with some great catches. I'm happy!!!

"BIG MEN AND BIG BLADES OF GRASS"

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant View Post
    I remember a few years back when everyone, including me, was ripping on William Gay. And now he's our best corner. Who would've thunk it..

I was among those people. I don't know whether this speaks more to the fact that he's improved or that the rest of the secondary is a full-on train wreck. Probably both. But I'll give him this - he used to be the one you could count on to fall down and leave his guy wide open, or be the one chasing 5 yards behind on those 60-yard joke touchdown passes. This time around, he's the only one you DON'T see doing that.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Definitely played the second half as if not to lose rather than to win. Seems they've convinced themselves that as long as they win the turnover battle they're invincible. ( this comes from quotes I've seen through last week and was clinched by them not exploiting an obviously overloaded vulnerable defense.) Which works fine against the Falcons. But if they think that's going to get them anywhere as the stakes get higher they're kidding themselves. When you've got a franchise qb playing like a franchise qb turn him the fuck loose!
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant View Post
    Gay gets ripped when he is a starting CB....and rightfully so. He is a good nickel corner, but when put in as a #1 or #2 you get what we see week after week. A roller coater ride. Occasional great plays mixed in with his giving up big plays. It drives me absolutely insane to see him giving 10 yard cushions...but that's what you have to do when your not tall or fast.

Gay makes the most of what he has...but he is NOT a starting CB in this league and his inconsistency is the most obvious proof of that.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Willie Gay did Great and provided a spark early in the game. Antonio Brown one HELLUVA catch great toe tap late in the game. Every yard that Bell got in the run game was well deserved since the line wasn't opening any holes.

For the most part I was ok with the offensive play calls but PLEASE get rid of that Damn bubble screen!!! Someone just rip that play out of the play books and burn it. On Defense please stop rushing only 3 it also doesn't work. I swear everytime we only rush 3 we get burned.

He's been the best corner they've had this season.

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post

For the most part I was ok with the offensive play calls but PLEASE get rid of that Damn bubble screen!!! Someone just rip that play out of the play books and burn it.
    Agreed, that play needs completely erased from their brains!