View Poll Results: Can Ben reach 5,000 yards?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

18 75.00%
  • No

6 25.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can Ben reach 5,000 yards?

Senior Member Array title="MrPgh has a spectacular aura about">

Can Ben reach 5,000 yards?

Currently has 4,055 yards on the season. He would have to average about 334 yards/game in the last three games.

Yes, it's unimportant in the grand scheme of things. But the most yardage he's ever passed for in a season was 4,328 in 2009.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Re: Can Ben reach 5,000 yards?

As long as Brown gets his 5 catches, he should!

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

No and I don't want him to. A more balanced attack is in order. It's more important that LeVeon gets a 100 rushing that Ben gets 300 plus passing.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

I think it will be 4800 yards for this year

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

I don't think so. He will set a personal best, but probably short of the 5K.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Ben has had too many off days this year. I think the K-City game will put him out of the running

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Can he? Sure. Will he? No. I agree with polamalubeast and think he tops out at around 4800.

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Ben has had too many off days this year. I think the K-City game will put him out of the running
    This is true, but in the game against the jets, Ben had 350 yards and against the saints he had 450 yards....You can have a lot of yards in garbage time

It could be a good thing that Ben has not 5000 yards

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    No and I don't want him to. A more balanced attack is in order. It's more important that LeVeon gets a 100 rushing that Ben gets 300 plus passing.
    Didn't they do that today and Ben still got 350? And if we're going to say it's a bad thing for Ben to start chasing stats, then why is it any better for Bell to chase stats?

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrPgh View Post
    Didn't they do that today and Ben still got 350? And if we're going to say it's a bad thing for Ben to start chasing stats, then why is it any better for Bell to chase stats?
    It's not about chasing stats. I have nothing against Ben getting his numbers. I just think we're a better team when LeVeon is more prominent in the game plan. for example today, do you think they leave Martavis Bryant that wide open if Bell hadn't been gashing them to death before that?

It's not about chasing stats. I have nothing against Ben getting his numbers. I just think we're a better team when LeVeon is more prominent in the game plan. for example today, do you think they leave Martavis Bryant that wide open if Bell hadn't been gashing them to death before that?
    Does Bell get all those yards if Bruce Gradkowski is the QB?

Does Bell get all those yards if Bruce Gradkowski is the QB?
    No of course not. Where does that stupid question come from?

No of course not. Where does that stupid question come from?
    IDK, where does the stupid question about Bryant come from?

It's no better demanding that Bell get 100 yards/game than it is demanding Ben get over 300. The only difference is the former makes old-school yinzers wet their pants.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

he's going to PR across the board but fall short of the big "wow" factor stats, namely 40 TD's, 5000 passing yards, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Yes. In hopes that they take some of the load off of Bell...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

He's currently on pace to throw for approximately 4,990 yards which is pretty darn close so I'll go out on a limb and say yes.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

He can, if you ask me it really depends on whether the Atlanta game turns into a shootout where he has 400+ yards.

I guess that's one interesting thing about having a shitty defense. The offense can never let the foot off the gas, because the opponent is liable to rip off back-to-back 80-yard drives in 1:30 at any given time.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

I think Ben can do it, but unfortunately will fall just short. I hope I'm wrong, though.

Senior Member Array title="Steeltreal will become famous soon enough"> Steeltreal's Avatar

so when LeVeon gets a short dumpoff and takes it for 20+ yards what's the difference
    "It comes with the Territory" - Floyd 'Money' Mayweather

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

atlanta has the last ranked pass defense in the league so there's that.

of course that means we'll come out and try to run the ball down their throats and throw 5 times for 17 yards.
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

It's possible due to the way the NFL is now.

I am slowly becoming less interested in the NFL as Goodell destroys it. Remember when passing for 300+ yards was an awesome thing to see? Now it is just an average day.
    Hater = Realist

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    atlanta has the last ranked pass defense in the league so there's that.

of course that means we'll come out and try to run the ball down their throats and throw 5 times for 17 yards.

Lol....so much this

Quote Originally Posted by Steeltreal View Post
    so when LeVeon gets a short dumpoff and takes it for 20+ yards what's the difference
    Well first off when that happens Ben gets credited with the passing yards. So what exactly that means? And secondly I don;'t really give a rats ass about Ben's stats other than W's and L's. If we win the next 3 and he gets to 5,0000 in the process. Wonderful.

No. You know what. Forget I said anything. If he gets to 5,000, we can all throw a party.

I'm done with this thread.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

The offense has achieved a lot of stats this year, only 1 matters.

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

Yes. Someone noted that he had a big statistical game against the Saints and against the Jets. So even if he lays an egg he still puts up a lot of yards.

Senior Member Array title="SteelMayhem72 has much to be proud of"> SteelMayhem72's Avatar

All I want is wins!! As long as everybody stays healthy I dont care how we win.

Let's keep in mind Ben getting to the 5000 yard mark isn't necessarily stat chasing. Does anyone think the 500 yard game against Indy was stat chasing? All of that seemed necessary in order for the Steelers to win.

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

Let's keep in mind Ben getting to the 5000 yard mark isn't necessarily stat chasing. Does anyone think the 500 yard game against Indy was stat chasing? All of that seemed necessary in order for the Steelers to win.
    Yepp... with the way the defense is playing, we need Ben to put up big numbers every week.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Well first off when that happens Ben gets credited with the passing yards. So what exactly that means? And secondly I don;'t really give a rats ass about Ben's stats other than W's and L's. If we win the next 3 and he gets to 5,0000 in the process. Wonderful.

No. You know what. Forget I said anything. If he gets to 5,000, we can all throw a party.

I'm done with this thread.
    I think where you guys are taking past each other is that, yes of course we'd like a balanced attack, but no one guy's stats really matter (Ben's or Bell's) other than the wins. So if Atlanta stacks 8 in the box to stop Bell we'd be fools to put rushing stats, or even carries, as any type of priority. We should do whatever it takes to score the most possible points (unless we're so far ahead that points don't matter). I don't care if Ben gets 1000 in one game and Bell hardly rushes at all if that's what it takes to win.

I think the game plan going into every game should be a result of film study and then in game adjustments based on what their defense is giving us. We have so many weapons on offense that we have that luxury. My worry with Haley is that he will now decide that rushing Bell over and over is the only game plan, regardless of how the other team is game planning against us. Defenses hate more than anything to be out-physicaled and they will be watching plenty of tape on what Bell did to the Bengals.

Don't get me wrong, I want to plan for plenty of Bell as well... unless they stacking every time to stop him. We should be able to put over 40 points on Atlanta if we are prepared to utilize any and all of our weapons. Plus I would like to get Ben into a rhythm early to keep him on his game throughout the game.

Anyway, I think we're all saying close to the same thing. We don't care about anyone's numbers as long as we win (and play optimum situational football to do it).

4415 yards with 2 games to go