Thread: Steelers Defense on field least in NFL

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Steelers Defense on field least in NFL

I was just looking at some stats and the Steelers have been on the field fewer plays than any other team in the NFL this season.

They are also 3rd best in the NFL in holding teams on 3rd down.

"With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Re: Steelers Defense on field least in NFL

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    I was just looking at some stats and the Steelers have been on the field fewer plays than any other team in the NFL this season.

Huh? Sure doesn't look like the team I watch ! OR... are you talking about 'HOLDING' like in penalty...? That would be the team I watch, LOL.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Giving up a lot of long plays on other than 3rd down will skew those numbers. How many plays of over 30 yards have they given up? Compared to the league?

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

They are on the field the least amount of plays yet they are 19th in the NFL in scoring. I think the fact that they are last in plays on the field is the only thing preventing them from being in the bottom half of yards allowed

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    Giving up a lot of long plays on other than 3rd down will skew those numbers. How many plays of over 30 yards have they given up? Compared to the league?
    Exactly. How many 3rd down situations did they force the Jets into? Not very many as I recall. Been a few other games like that too. Doesn't mean much when your opponents keep moving the sticks on 1st and 2nd down.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I believe those stats. Either we hold them to a 3-and-out, or we give up a 5-play, 75-yard drive that takes a minute and a half. There is very little middle ground.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Exactly. How many 3rd down situations did they force the Jets into? Not very many as I recall. Been a few other games like that too. Doesn't mean much when your opponents keep moving the sticks on 1st and 2nd down.
    Jets were 6 of 15 on third down, I'd say that's solid.

Dwinsgames

Fire Lebeau the game has passed him by

( dripping with sarcasm in case anyone missed it )

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I believe those stats. Either we hold them to a 3-and-out, or we give up a 5-play, 75-yard drive that takes a minute and a half. There is very little middle ground.
    I think you are right.

We average 5.9 yards per play which ties for 4th worst in the nfl and yet are on the field the least?

So having a lot of 3 & outs AND 5 play 75 yard drives could go a long way towards explaiing why we give up so many yards per play and yet are on the field so little.

We do get burned deep a lot it seems.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Seems to be a pretty worthless statistic.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

If our defense is on the field the least I suppose that in turn our offense must be on the field the most, or very close to it? We do seem to possess the ball between the 20's for an inordinate amount of plays even in games where we barely score. So just think how bad it would be if our offense didn't possess the ball as often as it does.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    If our defense is on the field the least I suppose that in turn our offense must be on the field the most, or very close to it?

We do seem to possess the ball between the 20's for an inordinate amount of plays even in games where we barely score.

So just think how bad it would be if our offense didn't possess the ball as often as it does.
    That is a good point.

On a side note our defense is ranked 20th in the nfl at 23.9 ppg.

Our offense tied for 7th 26.2 points per game.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

The Steelers are 2nd in the NFL to the Colts in average time of possession per game. And 9th in total plays. But 5 of the teams ahead of them in plays played this past Thursday. Of the 5 the Steelers likely will surpass 4 of them, ( Eagles are far and away tops in offensive plays) and be 5th in number of plays at the end of the day.

Borrowing from another thread this goes to show that if Ben can ever get in sync with Wheaton and Bryant to the extent that he was with Cotchery and Sanders at the end of last season this offense could truly finally make the leap to elite.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    The Steelers are 2nd in the NFL to the Colts in average time of possession per game. And 9th in total plays. But 5 of the teams ahead of them in plays played this past Thursday. Of the 5 the Steelers likely will surpass 4 of them, ( Eagles are far and away tops in offensive plays) and be 5th in number of plays at the end of the day.

Borrowing from another thread this goes to show that if Ben can ever get in sync with Wheaton and Bryant to the extent that he was with Cotchery and Sanders at the end of last season this offense could truly finally make the leap to elite.
    If our offense has the ball so much yet in most games we don't have nearly enough points to show for it, it means that we suck major titty in the red zone.

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    If our offense has the ball so much yet in most games we don't have nearly enough points to show for it, it means that we suck major titty in the red zone.
    Yep, we are tied for 22nd in Red zone touchdown scoring at 50%.

Have we EVER been strong in the red zone during Ben's tenure?

Yep, we are tied for 22nd in Red zone touchdown scoring at 50%.

Have we EVER been strong in the red zone during Ben's tenure?
    A few times. Best was 2005 when we were 4th in the league in rz efficiency.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat...ate=2006-02-06

Then we were 7th in 07.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat...ate=2008-02-04

But more often than not we've been middle of the pack. This is actually the lowest we've ranked in that category since Ben's been qb. Let me clarify, if we were to finish where we're currently at that would be our lowest RZ efficiency ranking during Ben's time. Lowest previous finish was 21st in Ben's rookie year of 2004.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Wonder if New Orleans scores the same amount of points with or without our defense. 35 points at home? Might as well not even suit up.