Thread: Speedy RB Josh Harris gets shot with Steelers

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Speedy RB Josh Harris gets shot with Steelers

By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

At 5 feet 11 and 210 pounds, new Steelers running back Josh Harris isn’t nearly as big as the player he replaced — 6-foot, 250-pound LeGarrette Blount. But Harris has one quality the team has emphasized more — elite speed.

Harris might not be as fast as rookie third-round pick Dri Archer, the fastest player in the 2014 draft who was timed at 4.26 in the 40-yard dash at the scouting combine in February.

But Harris isn’t far behind. He was timed at 4.46 when he was at Wake Forest.

“He’s a phenomenal runner,” starting running back Le’Veon Bell said. “I’ve been watching him all year. I’m glad he’s going to get the opportunity. I’m excited for him. He’s been doing a great job. Now he has to take extra precautions and stay in the playbook and things like that because he’s no longer a practice-squad member.”

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201411200265

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Speedy RB Josh Harris gets shot with Steelers

The speed thing is getting old already. #WannaBeOakland.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

The old and slow thing was getting old a couple of years ago too. Lets give the kid the benefit of the doubt until we see what he can do in an actual game situation. He might surprise some of us.

AML

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Ball control is a big thing too. Actually, it's more important in my book. It defeats the whole purpose of a good run if you bust through the line, pick up a bunch of yards, then fumble the damn ball away ! So many of these young player's don't even know the basic fundamental of how to carry the ball, which side to carry ball, placement of hands, etc.. UGH !

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

How is getting young, fast, and (potentially) more talented from top to bottom on the roster a bad thing?

Went from Mendenhall, Dwyer, Redman to Bell, Harris, Archer in 2 seasons. Quite the makeover. Remains to be seen if it is really a positive or not, but we do know some things.

Mendenhall and Redman are out of football and Dwyer is not far behind. Bell is one of the most exciting 3 down running backs in the league. Harris has an intriguing set of physical skills, and Archer....well Archer may stink. But this kid on the practice squad sounds neat-o!

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    How is getting young, fast, and (potentially) more talented from top to bottom on the roster a bad thing?
    Young, fast and inconsistent. THAT'S a bad thing. Remember the 4-5 years when any halfway decent defense could shut down our running game any time they chose to. Been there, done that, not exactly itching to see it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    ....well Archer may stink. But this kid on the practice squad sounds neat-o!
    That guy I could get behind. Not sure if I'd risk the entire season on him if Bell got banged up, but he has the potential to be good.

In the meantime: fuck Harris, fuck Archer - get a REAL running back for a backup, please.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Young, fast and inconsistent. THAT'S a bad thing. Remember the 4-5 years when any halfway decent defense could shut down our running game any time they chose to. Been there, done that, not exactly itching to see it again.
    Well, I didn't mean fast and terrible. Assuming (big assumption) that everything else is equal, I will always prefer the faster, younger player over the vet. With the vet you are paying for past performance and potential decline - especially at RB. With the younger player, you are gambling on physical upside. So basically Willie Parker or Duce Staley.

That guy I could get behind. Not sure if I'd risk the entire season on him if Bell got banged up, but he has the potential to be good.

In the meantime: fuck Harris, fuck Archer - get a REAL running back for a backup, please.
    What REAL running backs are out there? All I see on the FA lists available on the internet are washed up vets or rolls of the dice. I still say Leshoure or Cierre Wood should get a work-out, but that is just me.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Someone mentioned Michael Bush as a short-term replacement, which I thought was a damn good idea ... whoever we signed, we wouldn't be paying much and wouldn't see any "decline" unless they were already washed up - remember this is probably only for a month or two, and *hopefully* they don't even need to see the field much.

If it was Willie Parker or Duce Staley, I'd avoid both if I could see it coming. This Harris kid looks like a Willie Parker clone, only odds are without as much home-run ability that was Parker's ONLY redeeming quality. Look at his game logs in college. Just like Parker ... season stats look decent because of 2 or 3 big games - then in the other 9 or 10, he S-U-C-K-E-D. Not what I'm looking for in a running back. You can see it now, so why not give the other kid a chance.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Someone mentioned Michael Bush as a short-term replacement, which I thought was a damn good idea ... whoever we signed, we wouldn't be paying much and wouldn't see any "decline" unless they were already washed up - remember this is probably only for a month or two, and *hopefully* they don't even need to see the field much.

If it was Willie Parker or Duce Staley, I'd avoid both if I could see it coming. This Harris kid looks like a Willie Parker clone, only odds are without as much home-run ability that was Parker's ONLY redeeming quality. Look at his game logs in college. Just like Parker ... season stats look decent because of 2 or 3 big games - then in the other 9 or 10, he S-U-C-K-E-D. Not what I'm looking for in a running back. You can see it now, so why not give the other kid a chance.
    Excellent point. I am not certain Harris is the best back-up plan either. But Michael Bush is stick-a-fork in him DONE. His latest go-round with the Bears was terrible and he is on the wrong side of 30 at this point. http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4156/michael-bush

I say see what the guy on the PS can do or bring in Leshoure's sorry-butt. If he is healthy (never a sure thing) he is only 24 years old and goes about 6 feet 235 or so. May be okay in a limited role.