Thread: Gruden: Steelers "Dark Horse" candidate from AFC to reach Super Bowl

Senior Member Array title="one side only is a jewel in the rough"> one side only's Avatar

Gruden: Steelers "Dark Horse" candidate from AFC to reach Super Bowl

As heard this morning on Mike & Mike, John Gruden said the Steelers will be a different team with Ike, Shazier, Polamlu back from injury.

Can't say as I disagree.

Ike, for all his issues, is the best CB on the team.

Shazier will allow Timmons to be more of a playmaker.

Polamalu will impact the run defense the most, but I think he has one more game-changinf play left in him, be it a strip sack or an INT.

Let's hope they all return for N.O. and stay healthy for the remainder of the season.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Re: Gruden: Steelers "Dark Horse" candidate from AFC to reach Super Bowl

Who is going to take away the long plays?

67 yarder against the Jets and an 80 yarder against the Titans.

I wonder if Allen returns after the bye as well.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

The chiefs are the Dark Horse....Not the steelers

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    Who is going to take away the long plays?

67 yarder against the Jets and an 80 yarder against the Titans.

I wonder if Allen returns after the bye as well.

Allen? He gets beat for more big plays than anybody. Just chuck the ball straight up in the air as hard as you can; if it's on Allen's side of the field, the receiver WILL come down with it and it won't even be close.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Allen? He gets beat for more big plays than anybody. Just chuck the ball straight up in the air as hard as you can; if it's on Allen's side of the field, the receiver WILL come down with it and it won't even be close.
    Perfect description of the pass defense. CB's give 10 yrd cushions that they get burnt on constantly too ! Can't stand our pass coverage, no chance for interceptions when you LET them catch and then try to push them out of bounds. ( or run beside/behind them all the way down the field).

Senior Member Array title="blackngldblood has a spectacular aura about"> blackngldblood's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Perfect description of the pass defense. CB's give 10 yrd cushions that they get burnt on constantly too ! Can't stand our pass coverage, no chance for interceptions when you LET them catch and then try to push them out of bounds. ( or run beside/behind them all the way down the field).
    Serious question, how many years do you see it taking to rebuild this defense? I say far many more than Lebeau will be here. You need players at every position except maybe ILB. Watching MCCullers monday suggests he may be a nice backup, but they need a stud NT. You definitely need a stud OLB. CB and FS are a must. Oy vey...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

As far as I see it, we need one more CB and a good NT to be at least solid. The OLBs will do better when the defensive line is doing its job, and without a real nose tackle that's hard. We can probably get a serviceable #2 CB somewhere out of the mess of guys we have other than Ike, so really one guy is all we need. I'm hoping Thomas will come back and be what we hoped Mitchell would. Then we just need one guy to eventually take over for Troy.

Really we only need two or three guys if everyone else just does what we're expecting of them. That could be accomplished in a year or two with luck. But first we actually have to try and address the two positions that are killing us, not just plug in one low-round pick after another that doesn't pan out. That worked exactly once for us in the past decade: Ike Taylor. It is not a winning long-term strategy for those positions, which are difficult to find.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

At least our needs will be fewer going into the next draft.

Hopefully pick up a nose tackle and CB in the first two rounds.

I could even see us trading up for another beast since it worked out so well with Ta'amu.

Did anything ever come of Chapman who was another NT we were considering in that draft?
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

It would mean a lot more if it was coming from anyone but Gruden.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

If we would have a damn good pass rush system it would make it easier for the CB's. But that pass rush is dismal and that CBs cushion is disgusting. I just don't understand LeBeau's theory of giving 5+yrd cushion only to get burnt majority of time, which explains giving up the 3rd and longs. I've been hoping for a CB for year's, but it never happens.