Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blount not only one needing shown the door - boot #23 too

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: Blount not only one needing shown the door - boot #23 too

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    I'm just happy he's no longer a Raider. How bad do you have to suck to get let go by the Raiders?

In fairness, the Raiders' problem isn't that the players they let go of suck, it's that the players who are actually on the team suck.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Dwinsgames

I could see defending him ( maybe ) and taking a organizational hit so to speak if talking about a top 5 player at his pos in the league , but Mitchell is ranked 64 out of 64 starting S ... when you can't get any lower on the totem pole of rankings you damned sure better watch your P's and Q's IMO because you are already lucky to have a job

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    I could see defending him ( maybe ) and taking a organizational hit so to speak if talking about a top 5 player at his pos in the league , but Mitchell is ranked 64 out of 64 starting S ... when you can't get any lower on the totem pole of rankings you damned sure better watch your P's and Q's IMO because you are already lucky to have a job

It would be more of an "organizational hit" IMO to have no one capable of playing safety. Regardless of how Mitchell's been doing lately, starting Robert Golden in a game against Drew Brees is not exactly high on my wish list.

Blount's BS was one thing in that he pissed off the coaches and the other players; in other words, it was disruptive to the actual team. Mitchell acting like a dickhead on the Internet is slightly embarrassing, nothing more.

I don't care if there are jerks on the team. I don't know them, I don't hang out with them. If whatever they're doing is not affecting the team, and as long as they're not out there actually committing violent felonies, I really couldn't give a shit. Burglary is probably OK.

Yes, it's good sport to make fun of players on other teams for saying stupid shit or having run-ins with the police. In the end, it doesn't really affect anything. I don't think anyone's under the impression from Mitchell's remarks that the rest of the team, or the Steelers organization in general, thinks it's a good idea to go around telling people to kill themselves. It's pretty easy to boil it down to one guy being a jerk.

If you want to talk about on-field performance, then yes, it's been extremely disappointing, although not Cortez Allen disappointing. It's something worth taking a look at after the season, but the fact is that for now, we don't have anyone to replace Mitchell unless Shamarko is 100%, and even then we could use the depth, and there's nothing we can do now about either of those things. Cutting a player over thoughtcrime would just be shooting ourselves in the foot.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

STEELER NATION RULES ! Array title="katmandu has much to be proud of"> katmandu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    Sorry, but I can't extend the term "Professional" to sports and entertainment figures. They are simply that. Anyone that looks up to these individuals beyond their work ethic, is looking for something that isn't there. Yes, there are some fine, upstanding sports athletes that do their best to carry themselves as professionals. However, the majority couldn't give 2 hoots about their communities and their standing in them.

I don't expect any athlete to be anything more than that.
    I get it....but this is exactly what sets the Steeler's (and some other Sports Teams) apart from the rest.

The Steelers EXPECT the HIGHER STANDARD on and off the field.

The STANDARD IS THE STANDARD.......... and Blount was clearly well below the Standard.

The Steeler's Standard is about being and acting like CHAMPION. On and OFF the field.

Most all the Champions I know are PROFESSIONALS and don't act like LOSERS.....On or OFF the field.
    "Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." -- Mark Twain

Support Steelers Universe with a Donation via PayPal !

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru....php?do=donate

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

reaalllllllly bad taste, but i would love to see what the "fan" had to say to him. I am more worried about his play than this unless they are somehow tide together

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Dwinsgames

the presidents for this is already in place , we canned Cedrick " Milk Carton " Wilson ( a starting WR and not very good just like Mitchell ) over something his girlfriend did because the media got wind of it and put his name in the headlines to sell print ... don't recall anyone complaining then but I was on another board at that time so maybe many did over here ?

either way Mitchell is a piece of shit in my book and if he gets cut I wouldnt feel the least bit bad for him nor would I complain ...

as a side note not sure Robert Golden would not be an upgrade based on what Mitchell has put on tape to this point

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Blount not only one needing shown the door - boot #23 too

Again...we have no idea what the fan was saying to him. Should he have "walk Ed away?" Yes. But he didn't. It's over and done with. Did he hit his wife/fiancé? No. Did he beat a kid? No. Did he allegedly rape two different women? No.

"Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me."

I think the "witch hunt" is getting to be a little out of hand.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

I doubt he'll be a Steeler next year anyway.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Steelers suspend safety Mitchell's use of social media

The Steelers have told safety Mike Mitchell to suspend use of his social media accounts after several people shared direct messages Mitchell sent to them after the Steelers’ 27-24 victory against Tennessee Monday night.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201411180227

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

From what I understand the fans were just giving him shit about his crappy substandard play. No one was threatening his family or insulting his mother etc... as far as I know. Just an immature punk who can't handle being held to a high standard of play.

Me personally I would never bother a player on social media over their play. But the players who choose to interact with fans got to be grown up about it and tune out the ones who are critical of their play.

I think the Steelers have handed this correctly. This isn't a fireable offense. But when you combine this with his shitty play and his salary the Steelers might think long and hard about bringing him back next season. This doesn't help his cause any, that's for sure.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

the presidents for this is already in place , we canned Cedrick " Milk Carton " Wilson ( a starting WR and not very good just like Mitchell ) over something his girlfriend did because the media got wind of it and put his name in the headlines to sell print ... don't recall anyone complaining then but I was on another board at that time so maybe many did over here ?

either way Mitchell is a piece of shit in my book and if he gets cut I wouldnt feel the least bit bad for him nor would I complain ...

as a side note not sure Robert Golden would not be an upgrade based on what Mitchell has put on tape to this point

The story I remember about Wilson was that he was arguing with his girlfriend in at a restaurant, then punched her in the head in full view of a whole room full of people. Unless it came out later that it was a hoax, I don't think it was even the same thing at all, and certainly don't remember anyone complaining. The other incident I think you're talking about was earlier, and not what he was cut for.

For the record, every indication seems to be that Mitchell is a jerk, but you're not paid to be nice.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    In fairness, the Raiders' problem isn't that the players they let go of suck, it's that the players who are actually on the team suck.
    The Raiders' problem/s go way deeper than players.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

If Mitchell is a Steeler next season I'll be pissed. He has done nothing to deserve a roster spot , so on too of being a total waste of a player he is a dick. Next man up!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

I just looked up Mike Mitchell's contract breakdown, and I think it is more than likely he gets cut this offseason. He is due a roster bonus of $2M on the 5th operating day of the league's 2015 year (..I think this would be in early March). His base salary next year is also $2M. Unless there is a marked turnaround in his play (and also his attitude) I don't see how the Steelers can justify paying him $4M next year. If they cut him in the offseason they would have to eat $3.8M in dead money, but I would do it if I were making decisions for the team.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    I doubt he'll be a Steeler next year anyway.

I for one hope this is the case!

Dwinsgames