Thread: Pirates give Martin, Liriano qualifying offers

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Pirates give Martin, Liriano qualifying offers

Pirates give Martin, Liriano qualifying offers

The Pittsburgh Pirates have given qualifying offers of $15.3 million each to Russell Martin and Francisco Liriano.

Martin — who is the best catcher on the free agent market — posted a slash line of .290/.430/.832 with 11 home runs, 20 doubles and 67 RBI in 460 plate appearances. He struck out only 78 times which is second-lowest in his nine year career.

Martin is a finalist for a gold glove award at catcher thanks to another solid season behind the plate posting a .994 fielding percentage while throwing out 39 percent of runners attempting to steal.

Liriano — who finished the 2014 season strong after battling injuries early in the season — could find himself on another club as a No. 3 starter with a solid contract after reestablishing himself as a solid starter under the tutelage of pitching coach Ray Searage.

Liriano posted a 7-10 record in 29 starts after starting the season 1-7 while battling an oblique injury. He finished the season with a 3.38 ERA while striking out 175 in 162 1/3 innings pitched.

Martin and Liriano has one day to either accept the offer or reject it. However, they are still able to negotiate a contract with the Pirates and other organizations if they reject the offer.

Edinson Volquez — who is the team’s other major free agent — was not extended a qualifying offer.

http://www.pittsburghsportingnews.co...ifying-offers/

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Re: Pirates give Martin, Liriano qualifying offers

And neither will accept, which means they officially become FA that the cheapskates won't even bother to try to sign.

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post
    I knew this was going to happen. He doesn't want to play for the Pirates.

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post
    I knew this was going to happen. He doesn't want to play for the Pirates.
    That's not necessarily true. No FA has ever accepted a qualifying offer, so this is standard procedure. He'll play for the Pirates if the price is right, which we all know it won't be. Not as long as El Cheapo owns the team.

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    That's not necessarily true. No FA has ever accepted a qualifying offer, so this is standard procedure. He'll play for the Pirates if the price is right, which we all know it won't be. Not as long as El Cheapo owns the team.
    I still wish we could get a videotape of Nutting making a racist comment. Then we can put pressure on MLB to not tolerate such people as owners, especially since the NBA doesn't....

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

El cheapo, as you call him, will have every right not to give Martin what he wants. He's asking for $75-80M......fuck that

He isn't worth that

Not even close

I bet Elias Diaz sees a Pirates uniform next season

God bless you, Shawn, and I really mean that. Because there is no way in hell I could ever have the patience that you do when it comes to Bob Nutting, aka "El Cheapo." I'll simply say I strongly disagree, and leave it at that.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/12...9-million-deal

The Pittsburgh Pirates have brought back Francisco Liriano, agreeing to a three-year, $39 million deal with the left-hander, sources have confirmed to ESPN.

[
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Never thought I'd see the day El Cheapo would actually pay a FA market value, especially one of his own. If they even get 2 decent years out of Papa Francisco to bridge the gap to Taillon and Glasnow's eventual debuts, then it's a solid contract. Therefore, I rate this move as Acceptable.

I still will not forgive him for refusing to pay Martin what he wanted.