Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Just when I thought I was out they pull me back in"

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

"Just when I thought I was out they pull me back in"

This is me last week. Yes I was going to watch the game, but going in I was totally dispassionate. I wasn't going to get upset no matter how poorly they played. I was just going to by analytical, see who played good, who played bad. And have no trouble getting to sleep afterwards. But lo and behold the Steelers offense I thought was there at the beginning of the season finally decides to show up. Now for better or worse I'm back fully invested and nervous as hell about this game against the Ravens today!

Oh well. Go Steelers!
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Re: "Just when I thought I was out they pull me back in"

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post

This is me last week.

Yes I was going to watch the game, but going in I was totally dispassionate. I wasn't going to get upset no matter how poorly they played.

I was just going to by analytical, see who played good, who played bad. And have no trouble getting to sleep afterwards. But lo and behold the Steelers offense I thought was there at the beginning of the season finally decides to show up. Now for better or worse I'm back fully invested and nervous as hell about this game against the Ravens today!

Oh well. Go Steelers!
    This is my sentiments exactly.

It seems like every time I get amped up they crash and burn and I get really ticked off....

So last Sunday I turned on the game with no expectations and Wham!....they play lights out!

It seems like you just never know who is going to show up each week.

If there is any game they need to show up for it is definitely tonights!!
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

At least you were watching the game, Zu! I was getting really pissed at people who "were done" and said they were wasting their time and had better things to do than watch this pathetic team. What are you people? Bengals fans?????????????????? Bengals fans only get out their gear to wear when the Bengals are winning. Bengals fans have been anything from Colts fans to Broncos fans to Seahawks fans over the years....as an emotional backup.

I may not like how the last few seasons have panned out, but I never gave my loyalty to another team or stopped watching just to pacify my poor wittle hurt feelings....and I watch every single daggum Steelers game.....and by living through the nightmares and disapointments, I've earned the right to the victory celebrations. ( Or maybe I've lived through bigger disappointments in my life than the Steelers not living up to my expectations).

Sorry folks, the bandwagon left without ya!

Last edited by stillers4me; 11-02-2014 at 08:49 AM.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    At least you were watching the game, Zu! I was getting really pissed at people who "were done" and said they were wasting their time and had better things to do than watch this pathetic team. What are you people? Bengals fans?????????????????? Bengals fans only get out their gear to wear when the Bengals are winning. Bengals fans have been anything from Colts fans to Broncos fans to Seahawks fans over the years....as an emotional backup.

I may not like how the last few seasons have panned out, but I never gave my loyalty to another team just to pacify my poor wittle hurt feelings....and I watch ever single daggum Steelers game.....and by living through the nightmares an=nd dissapointments, I've earned the right to the victory celebrations.

QFT

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

All Defense!

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

You guys would never survive being Raiders fans.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post

I may not like how the last few seasons have panned out, but I never gave my loyalty to another team just to pacify my poor wittle hurt feelings....and I watch ever single daggum Steelers game.....and by living through the nightmares and dissapointments, I've earned the right to the victory celebrations.

Oh yeah. I never don't watch. And I always care. Just usually to an unhealthy level. And that's what I thought I was getting away from. They could be 3-12 going into the last game and I'm going to be watching the game either live or on NFL rewind afterwards if I had to drive that day.

I've been just as critical of this team as anybody. But like ZU, I've slept just fine. I had low expectations...and oh, boy were they ever met!

After one historic and epic game for the ages ( I think the only one I ever enjoyed more than last week was the time we beat the Patriots*....and I mean we really BEAT them, other than SB wins, of course), we now have EXPECTATIONS. There will times these expectations will not be met....perhaps even tonight. But I'll be there to watch every single game. Win or lose. The Pittsburgh Steelers are MY team.

As I've said in the recent past, this fan base is not built for the "rebuilding years".

I think what I enjoyed so much about last week was Ben's very loud STFU to all the naysayers and critics. Long. Over. Due.
    Last edited by stillers4me; 11-02-2014 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Dr Jekyll and Mr Haley is more like it for our offense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    You guys would never survive being Raiders fans.
    Au contraire. Many of us here are also Pirates fans. We've had more than our fair share of futility in recent years.

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

Au contraire. Many of us here are also Pirates fans. We've had more than our fair share of futility in recent years.
    The Penguins have had some horrible seasons as well (early '80s and early '00s).

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

The steelers are very unpredictable this year...I do not know what to expect tonight

Maybe an ugly loss like a week 2 or a crazy game like last week, although it is impossible to have 600 yards of offense and 50 points two weeks in a row, especially against a good defense like the Ravens

I keep my expectations low since the defeat against Tampa Bay

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

I go into every week expecting a Steelers win. I never give up because I still believe in this team and in miracles. I've seen firsthand what this team can do when they're on a mission (Super Bowl XL).

The anticipation is KILLING me. I've been this wrapped up in a game since the '08 season. I have no idea why, either. I think part of it's because I want to see Ben come out and hang another 300+ yards on the Ravens. Part of it is because I'm petrified that last week's offensive explosion was a one-week exhibition, and part of it is because Ben has only really had 2 bad games this year, and both of them have been against division opponents.

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    The anticipation is KILLING me. I've been this wrapped up in a game since the '08 season. I have no idea why, either. I think part of it's because I want to see Ben come out and hang another 300+ yards on the Ravens. Part of it is because I'm petrified that last week's offensive explosion was a one-week exhibition, and part of it is because Ben has only really had 2 bad games this year, and both of them have been against division opponents.
    I'm feeling that same anticipation, Craic. We need this game to split with the Ravens. I don't know what to do with myself until the game starts. I'm all jittery and stuff.

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

My second favorite team is the Bills, and if you live far enough north of the Burgh you might know a lot of people with similar sentiments.

So the good news is there's no danger of them becoming an emotional replacement during the down seasons (plus it gives me extra hate for the Pats... Ravens, Browns, Oilers, and Raiders merge into a mega team? If they're playing the Pats, I'll root for that mega-team anyways.)

I may get frustrated with the team, especially the way the past two seasons began, and while I'm patient I'm not afraid to call out players and especially coaches... eventually. But I never give up on the Steelers, even if I completely expect to lose a game.

That said, I don't think it's completely fair to point at people and say "you're not a real fan" if, not expecting to get anything out of it, they skip a game. Or go irrational on a coach. Or whatever. As long as they're still flying the black and gold... if you jump ship completely to go be a Broncos fan, then yeah, bandwagon flake. But think about the Pirates... remember the "fire Nutting" years? Or even the post All-Star (the 90s one) outrage? Those fans didn't go anywhere else... they just lost enthusiasm. After enough years in the tank, you have to start to ask "why wouldn't they?" - and look, now all the Pirates fans are back, but to call them bandwagoners is a little mean. They never jumped ship to the Yankees or Giants... but different people have different levels of involvement and emotional capacity, and now at last there's a product on the field worth their full enthusiasm. That's just the way it is.

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Like most, the Steeler's are my team, win or lose. The only other NFL team I root for is whoever is playing the bungholes ! When we are in a slump I just sit and get aggravated as hell. I don't have to worry about not watching because most of the time the damn bungholes are on TV, and I refuse to turn my TV on to that bunch of crap. If there are no other games to watch when the weather was decent I'd jump on the motorcycle and take a ride a few hours. And I never, ever bet against the Steeler's. College games I try to catch is the Notre' Dame action.

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

I thought after a good win streak that the Ravens were going to get a tough win in Cincinnati then play at Heinz against a poorly-playing Steelers team. What a difference a week makes in the NFL today. Now I am nervous, as the weak Ravens secondary, which had played pretty well the past few weeks, looked like the JV last week after Jimmy Smith went down. If I was Ben, I'd have my radar set on Dominque Franks all night. And the offense simply dried up.

I still think this will be a typical Baltimore-Pittsburgh AFCN game. But a blowout either way would not surprise me. Now...Miami blowing out San Diego? That surprised me!

I've been chumped by the Steelers once again.

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

I've been chumped by the Steelers once again.
    Perhaps they've shaken all the bad luck out of their system before the half. To be fair, it was more a comedy of errors than the spanking the score suggests

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Anytime the Steelers play a team with a losing record, we should automatically expect them to play down to their competition's level.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I assumed everyone already did that. I know I do.

Thee Conservative Steeler Array title="steel9guy is on a distinguished road"> steel9guy's Avatar

Something in me snapped after the Tampa game. I am so sick of losing to bad teams. This is so pathetic. Jets and Bucs in one season!!!! FOR REAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Hopefully the Steelers can win next week.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Jekyll and Hyde schizophrenic team. Also, their identity is they start slow. If they don't force turnovers, they get no momentum.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Three more road games to lose, yay!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Haven't pulled me all the way back in...glad I kept my guard up...lol.

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

Man, you have to be a real frickin' genius, clairvoyant or a combination of both to figure out who's going to win or lose in today's NFL. After the past two games, I thought Pittsburgh would blow out Gang Green like a Pop Warner team. Then again (even though they did get the W), I thought Baltimore would manhandle the Titans.

WTF happened to AFCN football? Am I in the midst of a bad dream? Good Lord, I'd hate to try earning a living betting big $$$ on these teams!

Quote Originally Posted by Crow-Magnon View Post
    Man, you have to be a real frickin' genius, clairvoyant or a combination of both to figure out who's going to win or lose in today's NFL. After the past two games, I thought Pittsburgh would blow out Gang Green like a Pop Warner team. Then again (even though they did get the W), I thought Baltimore would manhandle the Titans.

WTF happened to AFCN football? Am I in the midst of a bad dream? Good Lord, I'd hate to try earning a living betting big $$$ on these teams!
    The Browns are in sole 1st place............can you believe that shit?

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Look on the bright side.... the Raiders aren't on your schedule this year. ...