Thread: NFL's biggest sham ?

Dwinsgames

NFL's biggest sham ?

1) Fan owned team

This seems like a really neat idea; instead of some rich guy owning the team, making millions off the fans and taxpayers, the people who actually care about the franchise have a stake in things. But the Packers being “owned” by the fans is nothing more than a ruse. The stock they own in the team can’t be resold, meaning it’s worthless; they don’t have a say in what the team does and they don’t earn a dividend when it makes money. Talk about a sham

rest of the story ..... http://cover32.com/2014/10/30/ten-th...rade-deadline/

Re: NFL's biggest sham ?

Except, it's not correct, and where it is, its misleading.

1. Shareholders get the same say as any other shareholder gets in a corporation, through an annual meeting.
    2. It is a not-for-profit corporation, so of course there are no dividends. Dividends are paid out of a . . . profit! Imagine that.

http://www.packers.com/community/shareholders.html

What's more, there's just some general football ignorance in this article, like with Seattle and the "12th man." Sure, the phrase is new for Seattle, but Seattle fans have been among the loudest since the team was created. Moreover, the rule that a home team can be penalized for too much crowd noise was a Seattle-Rule, specifically because of the crowd noise in Seattle. So his little dig about "down seasons" is pretty much a joke, as the fans have been around for a great many "down seasons."

Then, there's Keisel. What these people don't get about the role of a 3-4 lineman, I'll never know.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

The NFL's biggest sham? Isn't it obvious?

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    The NFL's biggest sham? Isn't it obvious?

I agree but wasn't my article

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

From the comments:
    You guys really need a new field, perhaps flipping burgers. Now your comments in regards to Keisel play just shows yet again how little you know about football. He has played well based on the scheme of the Steeler defense. And to explain what that is, well is just a waste of time. We are done with your site. Goodbye

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

One thing it does is prevent the team from being moved ... they also have a rule that no one person can own more than a few percent of the team at a time. I hate the team and their fans so much that I said if i ever struck it super-rich I'd want to buy the Packers and move them to Los Angeles and rename it just to piss them off. But you actually can't do it. If it was owned by one person, it probably would have been moved by now.

The Packers stock is the kind of thing that dedicated fans get one share of to frame and hang on their wall, or that you give your husband for Christmas so he can frame it and hang it on the wall. Just a unique memorabilia item that other franchises don't have. That's all I've ever seen anyone treat it as.
    See you Space Cowboy ...