Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Fall Of Cortez Allen Continues

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Re: The Fall Of Cortez Allen Continues

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    OK, but to turn that one around ... isn't giving Blake playing time also giving a young player a chance to develop? He's the one who's playing better right now; there is no reason to go back to Allen except his contract. That's not to say we should give up on Allen forever, but if he wants significant playing time, it'd better be because he earned it, or because Blake/McCain aren't getting the job done anymore. I've got similar feelings about Adams ... between him and Gilbert, nothing should matter except who's playing better. They're both young guys who could develop further.

A few weeks ago, the "let our young players develop" argument would've carried more weight - but we have turned it around and are now in a playoff race. Getting your best guys on the field is the most important thing. I for one was disappointed that we didn't give Adams another week to see if he was turning the corner or it was just a fluke. And I'll also be disappointed if Harrison keeps playing like this and goes back to the bench when Jones comes back.
    The one problem I have with Blake and McCain is size. They just can't contend with the bigger wide outs. Unless the QB has no time to throw.

Maybe Gilbert would play well at LG? Foster was found wanting on a few plays last night as well. If Adams has his head right, I think he is a monster at RT, especially in the run game.

Sure is nice to have these discussions being at 6-3 instead of 3-6.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    The one problem I have with Blake and McCain is size. They just can't contend with the bigger wide outs. Unless the QB has no time to throw.

Maybe Gilbert would play well at LG? Foster was found wanting on a few plays last night as well. If Adams has his head right, I think he is a monster at RT, especially in the run game.

I don't know about that; size is not everything. I think people saw Seattle win the Super Bowl with a lineup of DBs that all happened to be tall, and suddenly placed a huge emphasis on it, but the fact is there are good players of all shapes and sizes. If you ask me, reactions, timing, and being able to win the mental game are all far more important to a CB than height or even speed.

Or to say it another way, if the guy you're covering is consistently beating you by two or three steps, it doesn't matter if you're tall. Or if you're unaware of where the ball is, you could be the most physically gifted guy on the team and it wouldn't help. It's tempting to think of Allen as the guy with the higher ceiling, but right now it's just not worth the risk.

The Gilbert-at-LG idea is intriguing; for that matter, so is Adams at that spot. I don't know if either of them have any experience playing it, but Foster is definitely the weak link right now.

lol, you sure got that right.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Allen can't contend with any wideout. Measurables isn't everything

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

So was Ben off base asking for a 6 4ish receiver? Size certainly matters.

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

Limas Sweed was 6'4". Lol

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Limas Sweed choked on all the attention which caused him to avoid catching the ball. He could have been an NFL superstar instead of the guy that delivers stuff for Amazon.
    All Defense!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Sweed's block against the Ravens was one of the great hits versus Baltimore...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pepsyman1 View Post
    Limas Sweed was 6'4". Lol

Funny thing, I haven't seen Bryant make any catches where being 6'4" mattered. He's generally been as much of a badass as a receiver can be in his first three games. But I haven't seen him have to outjump anyone, or make a fingertip catch over his head. Maybe having a tall WR is a confidence thing for the QB throwing at him? I don't know, as long as it works, keep doing it.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Funny thing, I haven't seen Bryant make any catches where being 6'4" mattered. He's generally been as much of a badass as a receiver can be in his first three games. But I haven't seen him have to outjump anyone, or make a fingertip catch over his head. Maybe having a tall WR is a confidence thing for the QB throwing at him? I don't know, as long as it works, keep doing it.
    He's not paid to do that.

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Size certainly matters.
    That's what she said.

C'mon, you didn't really think someone wasn't going to catch that, right?

Senior Member Array title="one side only is a jewel in the rough"> one side only's Avatar

With only three healthy safeties, I wonder if Cortez Allen will be called upon to fill in at safety in case of injury. Mike Mitchell battled through a groin issue last week, and Will Allen hasn't played a full game in a long time. Robert Golden is their only back up unless Ross Ventrone's hamstring heals.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

that fade route against the colts
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Cortex was on Special Teams on the Jacoby Jones KR TD. He really looked worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by one side only View Post
    With only three healthy safeties, I wonder if Cortez Allen will be called upon to fill in at safety in case of injury. Mike Mitchell battled through a groin issue last week, and Will Allen hasn't played a full game in a long time. Robert Golden is their only back up unless Ross Ventrone's hamstring heals.
    Dangerfield was signed to the PS

CHAMPIONSHIP!!!