Thread: Been-there done-that Ike's advice for Cortez

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Been-there done-that Ike's advice for Cortez

Ike Taylor, benched by Bill Cowher in 2006, knows what Cortez Allen is experiencing.

Cortez Allen has gone from starting cornerback to nickel back to spectator in the span of three games, a fall from grace that lacks long-term implications but clouds the picture in the secondary as the Steelers prepare to host the Baltimore Ravens.

“I was doing what I felt was necessary for us to win the football game,” Coach Mike Tomlin said of replacing Allen with Antwon Blake as the sub-package cornerback in the second half of Sunday’s 51-34 win over the Indianapolis Colts. “But it has no bearing in terms of what I think (Allen is) capable of largely or in the long term.”

In the short term it’s uncertain what role Allen might play against Baltimore.

Tomlin publicly has maintained confidence in Allen, who was signed to a five-year, $26 million contract just before the regular-season opener against Cleveland. But Tomlin also has enlisted the counsel of injured cornerback Ike Taylor in an effort to get Allen’s arrow pointing up again.

“I talk often with Ike about Cortez’s situation because (Taylor) has lived it,” Tomlin said...............

Read more @ http://www.steelers.com/news/article...6-94e9036fd97f

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Been-there done-that Ike's advice for Cortez

If Allen could wind up with Ike's career in the long run, I'd be happy. It's not looking good though. It's looking more like Ricardo Coclough's career.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

I wasn't expecting Cortez to be an all-pro or anything but I never expected him to be THIS bad.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

He just needs to get his head right. I even wonder if he is having some personal issues. Hope the right mentor comes in for him.
    He has the physical tools. Now he has to conquer the mental part.