Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Perplexing...

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Re: Perplexing...

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I expected him to be benched for the Colts game, but lo there he was. It wouldn't surprise me to see him starting this week too. I guess the FO doesn't want to look stupid for giving him a big contract, even tho it's worse when he plays. He easily gave up at least 14 points Sunday.

Right from the horses mouth

Steelers Gameday Plus: Tomlin: 4 things you must know vs. Ravens | http://bit.ly/1sAv57R
    http://www.steelers.com/news/article...2-25164f701569
    Along the same vein, Marcus Gilbert is recovered from his concussion and practicing and going to start against the Ravens. The same Marcus Gilbert who was abused by Courtney Upshaw all game long in our first meeting with the Ravens. Want to know why our red zone offense often bogged down? Quite often because our right tackle was having his ass handed to him, and Ben was preoccupied by the guy that Marcus was supposed to block rather than finding his target downfield.

It was real easy Tomlin.This is what you could and should have said. Something along these lines. Yeah it's nice Marcus is back from his concussion and is back practicing but we're going to start Mike Adams for at least for another week. You could have said it was precautionary. Or better yet you could have said we're coming off the best offensive performance of my career. The offense hasn't given up a sack in over 6 quarters. We passed 49 times last week and Ben was barely pressured let alone sacked. So for the time being we're going to keep the status quo in regards to our offensive line. How could anyone have argued this? Especially being as besides Cortez Allen no one has consistently under-performed to the extent that Gilbert has.

You almost wonder if this decision come from up higher? Is it the fact that they've invested heavily into Cortez and Gilbert weighing into the decision? All I know is if we have a drive stall out because of a missed block or penalty on 78. Or if Ben fumbles or is pressured into a interception because of Gilbert. I'm going to be howling!
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Along the same vein, Marcus Gilbert is recovered from his concussion and practicing and going to start against the Ravens. The same Marcus Gilbert who was abused by Courtney Upshaw all game long in our first meeting with the Ravens. Want to know why our red zone offense often bogged down? Quite often because our right tackle was having his ass handed to him, and Ben was preoccupied by the guy that Marcus was supposed to block rather than finding his target downfield.

It was real easy Tomlin.This is what you could and should have said. Something along these lines. Yeah it's nice Marcus is back from his concussion and is back practicing but we're going to start Mike Adams for at least for another week. You could have said it was precautionary. Or better yet you could have said we're coming off the best offensive performance of my career. The offense hasn't given up a sack in over 6 quarters. We passed 49 times last week and Ben was barely pressured let alone sacked. So for the time being we're going to keep the status quo in regards to our offensive line. How could anyone have argued this? Especially being as besides Cortez Allen no one has consistently under-performed to the extent that Gilbert has.

You almost wonder if this decision come from up higher? Is it the fact that they've invested heavily into Cortez and Gilbert weighing into the decision? All I know is if we have a drive stall out because of a missed block or penalty on 78. Or if Ben fumbles or is pressured into a interception because of Gilbert. I'm going to be howling!
    You mean, " I signed him, now you play him?'

OMG,,,,,,,,,,, We're the cowboys.

AML

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Gilbert is 77.

If the FO is forcing this, then Tomlin may quit before he is fired.

Better be a short leash on Gilbert.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

The next few games are very important, especially the game against the Ravens, so you have to play the best players in the team.If Gilbert and Allen have a bad game against the Ravens, many will be angry to Tomlin again.

If this is not Tomlin that takes the decisions, it's ridiculous from the front office

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    Gilbert is 77.

If the FO is forcing this, then Tomlin may quit before he is fired.

Better be a short leash on Gilbert.
    Oops Guess I should have looked that up first!

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Oops Guess I should have looked that up first!
    Doesn't change the validity of your post.

If this is from the FO then then they should FO.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Most likely it is from the long-standing tradition and practice across all sports that you can not lose your starting spot to injury - only ineffective play.

This is not unique to the Steelers or any team for that matter. Despite what we as fans may prefer, I reckon that an NFL head coach would have a extremely poor relationship with his players if individuals could regularly get "wally pipped".

Senior Member Array title="Renegade has a spectacular aura about"> Renegade's Avatar

The whole deal is the fact that andrew luck is a good quarterback. but I still said, we could smash the colts and squeak out a win against the ratbirds. in my evaluation i see that cortez allen is not a good cornerback. if he plays at all against the ravens, we will lose. i hope he practices bad because tomlin said he is going to be competing for a starting job. and if he practices well, this is a dumb enough coaching staff to match him up against a rebounding torrey smith. the way to beat the ravens is to use, and only use mid zone defenses while sending 4 (or 5 counting harrison) over the top safety help and having the starting corners be the outstanding brice mccain and the surprising find antwon blake.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Most likely it is from the long-standing tradition and practice across all sports that you can not lose your starting spot to injury - only ineffective play.

This is not unique to the Steelers or any team for that matter. Despite what we as fans may prefer, I reckon that an NFL head coach would have a extremely poor relationship with his players if individuals could regularly get "wally pipped".
    I get that. But Gilbert was not performing well. Regardless of how you get there, you need to play your most effective players.

So I guess Tommy Maddox should still be starting?

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Nothing wrong with sticking with the hot hand. They're in business to win games, not the Star of Loyalty Award or whatever.

It's a cutthroat business. Players lose their jobs all the time just because someone better comes along, whether it's injury or something else. I really wish they would go with the best player.

See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

So I guess Tommy Maddox should still be starting?
    Clearly.

ALso, is it really clear that Adams is better than Gilbert? If so, by how much? Gilbert has looked both good and terrible in stretches over the last 2 seasons. So has Adams.

Clearly.

ALso, is it really clear that Adams is better than Gilbert? If so, by how much? Gilbert has looked both good and terrible in stretches over the last 2 seasons. So has Adams.

My thought is that you take it game by game. Maybe even quarter by quarter. The thing is you don't have to promise anything. As I said before if I'm Tomlin I just say we're coming off a record setting performance, one where no sacks were allowed in 50 drop backs, so we're going to maintain the status quo for the time being. You can define it anyway you like. But we're staying with what worked until it no longer is working as well.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Right, because Adams won't get eaten up by the Ravens' pass rushers. Pick your poison(Gilbert or Adams).
    Hater = Realist

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    Doesn't change the validity of your post.

If this is from the FO then then they should FO.
    Been saying for a while now that Tomlin is nothing but a puppet for the FO, and does what he is told to do. This would be another example of that. No, I do not have any proof of this, it's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Right, because Adams won't get eaten up by the Ravens' pass rushers. Pick your poison(Gilbert or Adams).
    He didn't get eaten up by the Colts' pass rushers.

Just saying.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

There is no way I would start Gilbert or Allen. Why would you change anything (except for injury or piss poor play ) after last weeks game? If this is Tomlin's decision it's proof he's elevated himself to the level of moron, if its the FO and Tomlin is a puppet, then I have no respect left for a man without balls.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Allen shouldn't even get a helmet this week unless if it's for special teams. The guy can't cover anyone right now.

Adams also deserves to start over Gilbert. Gilbert wasn't exactly tearing it up before he was injured and Adams has played well.

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Troy is just out of control and wild (in a bad way) this year. He looks healthy but mentally he looks like he guesses wrong and is just flying all over the place. I figured him and Mitchell would have some growing pains as a tandem.
    its old man time ... his mind knows what he wants to do , but his body simply does it .2 seconds later than he did 5-6 years ago ... still splash play capable just not as high of a percentage of effectiveness as it once was ..