Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quick Hits: Steelers/Colts

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Re: Quick Hits: Steelers/Colts

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    Another "5th Year Omen". The Steelers also went to the AFC Title game in '84. Much like '74, '94, and 2004. This year is 2014.

Just saying.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    putting up 51 vs a team that shutout your division rival a week ago can mask some of the bad taste left in your mouth from prior performances ...

I will say this Bryant has given this team something they have been sorely lacking for a few years and the part I question is why it took them 6 weeks in the books before they get him on the field 3 TDs in two games is huge .... he has been a difference maker

DHB and Lance Moore should be considered available to any suitors for late round picks ... but at this point would anybody even want them ?

good win vs a playoff caliber team ....

props to O-Line for a great complete game ...

Ben looked like Ben of old , inspired and confident

the rest is pretty obvious IMO
    Probably because that is how long it took him to develop into a difference maker. In the pre-season he looked every bit the raw undeveloped players who was not yet ready. I am actually surprised he developed so quickly

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Been watching the game on NFL rewind. Just got to the part where the Steelers take the 21-3 lead off Gay's pick 6 then the subsequent Colt series where it looks as of the Steelers held them to a 3 and out. In particular on the 3rd and 3 call where the Colts had a pass batted at the line for an incompletion.But the refs called offsetting penalties which gave the Colts a new life. they converted the 3rd and went on to score a td. Well the only problem is they called the defensive penalty on Mike Mitchell. Problem was he never came close to holding anyone and what I could see neither did any other Steelers db. Do you ever wonder is sometimes the refs make calls to keep the game's close? Because that's sure what that looked like.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Absolutely. Mentioned it in the game thread. Can't allow Luck to be completely embarrassed. He is the future.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Later in the same series they not only ignored a Luck intentional grounding moment, they called the tick tackiest illegal hands to face call on Cortez one's ever seen. So instead of second and 18 they get a five yard gain and a first down. If that was illegal hands to the face then Richard Sherman would never go three straight plays without drawing a flag.

Near the end of the first half, on a 3rd down and 15 scramble Luck ends up about a yard and a half short of a first down at the Steelers 32 yard line. The refs call a defensive hold on the Steelers. The announcing crew assumes the penalty will be enforced from the original line of scrimmage, which would give the Colts a first down at the Steelers 42 yard line. But the refs give the Colts the play and tack on the penalty at the end of it, giving the Colts the first down at the Steelers 27. Anyone know why?

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Been watching the game on NFL rewind. Just got to the part where the Steelers take the 21-3 lead off Gay's pick 6 then the subsequent Colt series where it looks as of the Steelers held them to a 3 and out. In particular on the 3rd and 3 call where the Colts had a pass batted at the line for an incompletion.But the refs called offsetting penalties which gave the Colts a new life. they converted the 3rd and went on to score a td. Well the only problem is they called the defensive penalty on Mike Mitchell. Problem was he never came close to holding anyone and what I could see neither did any other Steelers db. Do you ever wonder is sometimes the refs make calls to keep the game's close? Because that's sure what that looked like.
    As Count said, several of us were screaming about this stuff on the game thread (as we're wont to do on game day threads) and it was a really sickening feeling knowing that we'd have to overcome both Andrew Luck and the refs for the rest of the game. I'm usually a pretty rational guy and normally chalk up this kind of thing to observational bias, but damn, sometimes it does seem like they want to keep the game closer and more exciting, especially in a nationally broadcast game.

- - - Updated - - -

Near the end of the first half, on a 3rd down and 15 scramble Luck ends up about a yard and a half short of a first down at the Steelers 32 yard line. The refs call a defensive hold on the Steelers. The announcing crew assumes the penalty will be enforced from the original line of scrimmage, which would give the Colts a first down at the Steelers 42 yard line. But the refs give the Colts the play and tack on the penalty at the end of it, giving the Colts the first down at the Steelers 27. Anyone know why?
    There was also a drive where the Colts were on their own side of the field with a 2nd and like 15. They converted a big pass play, but on the replay they showed Troy (who rushed the passer on that play) get so mauled that I wouldn't even call it holding. It was closer to a sexual assault. It would should have put them in a 2nd and 25. Naturally they ended up scoring on that drive.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Yeah, made no sense to me either. I'm finding the coverage from the broadcast booth is also intended to "cover up" what is going on. I'm finding replays are shown less and less. Some ref calls are not even broadcast. Some ref calls are not explained.

Entertainment over sport.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant