Thread: practice squad plundering ?

Dwinsgames

practice squad plundering ?

looking around the league a little bit and at the end of the season if playoffs are not a concern because of shit record ....
    If I where the Steelers I would plunder some of these guys in an effort to get them in house for an extended look place them on final 53 and secure them for the entire off season and next years training camp ... a chance to improve with no investment cost

Practice squad

Ras-I Dowling CB - Raiders ...highly thought of when entering the draft a few years back , great size and athletic ability

Ed Reynolds S - Philly ...I liked this kid quite a bit was one of my higher ranked safety prospects in last years draft

Ricardo Allen CB Falcons ... size is his only issue he is a lock down slot player quicker than fast and has some ball skills

Robert Lester S Carolina ...productive , high motor player that is not afraid of hitting you

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

Re: practice squad plundering ?

I was very high on dowling a few years ago, id love to see what he can do here, but i doubt they do anything it

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Senior Member Array title="one side only is a jewel in the rough"> one side only's Avatar

Who gets cut to make room for any one of these guys? Not special teams ace Ross Ventrone. Not everyone's (opponents as well as fans) punching bag, Cam Thomas. He's needed for depth at least until McClendon gets healthy. Maybe DHB. I'd rather see a trade before the deadline -- Lance Moore, who still has some value, for a draft pick. Some teams need receivers bad enough to give up a mid to late round pick, and the Steelers aren't getting their money's worth out of Moore.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsdancefloor View Post
    I was very high on dowling a few years ago, id love to see what he can do here, but i doubt they do anything it
    Problem is the guy's a china doll who can't stay healthy.

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    looking around the league a little bit and at the end of the season if playoffs are not a concern because of shit record ....
    If I where the Steelers I would plunder some of these guys in an effort to get them in house for an extended look place them on final 53 and secure them for the entire off season and next years training camp ... a chance to improve with no investment cost

Practice squad

Ras-I Dowling CB - Raiders ...highly thought of when entering the draft a few years back , great size and athletic ability

Ed Reynolds S - Philly ...I liked this kid quite a bit was one of my higher ranked safety prospects in last years draft

Ricardo Allen CB Falcons ... size is his only issue he is a lock down slot player quicker than fast and has some ball skills

Robert Lester S Carolina ...productive , high motor player that is not afraid of hitting you
    I really like Reynolds and Lester. Both have talent and were highly thought of before they were drafted. May just have needed a little more time to get use to the NFL game. May end up never playing at the NFL level, but could be worth a gamble.

AML

Dwinsgames

guess I could have further explained my thought on this ...

if playoffs are off the table as a possibility cut anyone in week 15-16 -17 that is not going to be with the team in 2015 to add these guys for future looks and zero investment , if only 1 works out you got a player for no investment other than the financials ... no draft pick compensation no player compensation , just a free opportunity to better your team depth / team level of competition ...

but we wont do it , this front office does not use all the tools in the box to better itself as it should

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

guess I could have further explained my thought on this ...

if playoffs are off the table as a possibility cut anyone in week 15-16 -17 that is not going to be with the team in 2015 to add these guys for future looks and zero investment , if only 1 works out you got a player for no investment other than the financials ... no draft pick compensation no player compensation , just a free opportunity to better your team depth / team level of competition ...

but we wont do it , this front office does not use all the tools in the box to better itself as it should
    I couldn't agree more. If I was a GM and/or coach who knew I wasn't facing the axe from ownership and also wasn't ready to make a SB run; I would be signing any one and every one off of practice squads that my scouting department had ever even indicated might have helped my team.

If I didn't know better, I would think that the NFL teams have an unofficial gentleman's agreement to only sign guys off practice squads when there is an injury emergency.

I also totally fail to understand why Will Allen is a back-up DB at this point rather than a raw prospect with intriguing athletic ability? But I suspect Allen has pictures of Tomlin murdering babies or something.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by one side only View Post
    Who gets cut to make room for any one of these guys?

Landry Jones.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

You are right about the gentlemen's agreement. We only took Blount after the Pats messed with Sanders. I don't see the Steelers doing a lot of poaching, so that nobody else does poaching of their own.
    All Defense!

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    You are right about the gentlemen's agreement. We only took Blount after the Pats messed with Sanders. I don't see the Steelers doing a lot of poaching, so that nobody else does poaching of their own.
    Blount was a URFA free to sign with anybody as a free agent .... not even the same conversation really

as for the gentleman's agreement we have been pilfered from in the past ( multiple times ) we just are always the victim and never the aggressor in that department

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I'd sign Dowling in a second to see what he can do.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Landry Jones.
    This !

Dwinsgames

not steeler related but topic related in relation to " gentleman's agreement "

http://nfldraftdiamonds.com/panthers...source=twitter

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Dwins, you gave other teams too many ideas. We lost Mauro and Williams from the PS.

Exactly who is reading our forum? Bill, you are an asshole.

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    Dwins, you gave other teams too many ideas. We lost Mauro and Williams from the PS.

Exactly who is reading our forum? Bill, you are an asshole.

in the world of internet anonymity one can never really be sure , but I am pretty sure its not anyone pulling strings anyplace ( they have far to much to do ) .... then again what the hell do GM's do when not prepping for the draft or free agency ?

Mauro should never have been on the practice squad to begin with but I find it fitting that he ends up with BA in Arizona since the guy we kept from signing there ( Da Beard ) is the reason why Mauro was on the PS to begin with ... Steelers front office decided it was better to have another year of father time than 10 years of solid play by a young man ... cutting nose off to spite face

Josh is a great kid we still talk from time to time in direct msg on twitter ....

Thanks Paul, everything happens for a reason. Thanks for your support the entire time!
    03:13 PM - 15 Nov 14
    Last edited by Count Steeler; 11-24-2014 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Syntax

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Another player signed from the Steelers PS:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/12...ractice-squad/

So if Colbert and Co are so terrible at constructing a roster, why does the PS keep getting poached?

Yes, I realize they make mistakes, often really big ones, but they must still be bringing in some fairly decent players.

Senior Member Array title="one side only is a jewel in the rough"> one side only's Avatar

Instead of the Guard they signed to practice squad to take Gettis' place, I would have signed TE Adam Schiltz, recently cut from the Chiefs practice squad.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by one side only View Post
    Instead of the Guard they signed to practice squad to take Gettis' place, I would have signed TE Adam Schiltz, recently cut from the Chiefs practice squad.

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Every time I see Schlitz, I think of the "Mitchell" episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    Every time I see Schlitz, I think of the "Mitchell" episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000
    I think of Dizzy Dean back in the,,,,, a long time ago. "Schlitz, make from good old Mississippi muddy water"

AML

Hey, now. Schlitz is frickin' delicious. $6.50 for 6 beers? I challenge you to find tastier suds for that price.

Also, they switched back to the "classic" recipe a few years ago after brewing some pretty bad beer for a bit.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

I would rather drink warm dog piss than Schlitz. That is a liquid headache in a can.
    All Defense!

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Hey, now. Schlitz is frickin' delicious. $6.50 for 6 beers? I challenge you to find tastier suds for that price.

Also, they switched back to the "classic" recipe a few years ago after brewing some pretty bad beer for a bit.
    Nothing wrong with the old classic. I still drink PBR when I can find it.

AML

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

I would rather drink warm dog piss than Schlitz. That is a liquid headache in a can.
    While it is certainly not top shelf I will admit back in the day I (on occasion) drank schlitz, genny cream ale, utica, duke beer, colt 45 and even mad dog!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    Nothing wrong with the old classic. I still drink PBR when I can find it.
    Peanut Butter & Relly?
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

You can get it in bottles.

Welp, all this is making me pretty thirsty. Its gotta be 5 somewhere or other.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

ALLD

I would rather drink warm dog piss than Schlitz.

That is a liquid headache in a can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    You can get it in bottles.

Welp, all this is making me pretty thirsty. Its gotta be 5 somewhere or other.

THAT was funny.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    I think of Dizzy Dean back in the,,,,, a long time ago. "Schlitz, make from good old Mississippi muddy water"
    Daffy gets no love ?