Thread: Ward's comments hit hard, but were they accurate?

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Ward's comments hit hard, but were they accurate?

To say Ben Roethlisberger was displeased with ex-teammate Hines Ward's recent critique is an understatement.

A radical one.

Roethlisberger, standing at his locker after practice Friday, made it clear that he believes Ward not only is clueless on Steelers matters but also the kind of guy who's quick to cast blame, which Ward most assuredly did in his appearance Wednesday on NBCSN's Pro Football Talk.
    That is part of Ward's job. The question is whether his claims had any merit.

Now, it's not exactly news that Hines and Ben aren't the best of friends. Whatever relationship they had careened downhill when Ward called out his quarterback on national television for sitting out a game in Baltimore in 2009 on account of post-concussion symptoms.
    That time, it was Ward questioning Roethlisberger's heart.

This time, it's Ward questioning Roethlisberger's accountability.

First, the show's host asked Ward if it's fair to pin the team's recent offensive struggles on coordinator Todd Haley. Ward responded, in part, “I put the blame a little bit on Ben Roethlisberger.”

That is the quote that made national headlines (minus the “a little bit” part).............

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/joestarke...#ixzz3GbcPA1sG

Senior Member Array title="MrPgh has a spectacular aura about">

Re: Ward's comments hit hard, but were they accurate?

Quite a few people thought Ward just came off as bitter and jealous when he first made those comments. But since Haley admitted he called about three quarters off the offensive plays, that pretty much invalidated everything Ward said.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Has anyone ever questioned Ward about his calling out Ben for missing a game for post concussion syndrome? I don't care how long after the fact it is I've always believed he owed Ben an apology for that. It was an asshole thing at the time, and never once have I seen Ward express any regret for what amounts to a monumentally stupid thing to have said about another player, let alone a teammate.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Has anyone ever questioned Ward about his calling out Ben for missing a game for post concussion syndrome? I don't care how long after the fact it is I've always believed he owed Ben an apology for that. It was an asshole thing at the time, and never once have I seen Ward express any regret for what amounts to a monumentally stupid thing to have said about another player, let alone a teammate.
    Hines Ward’s apology to Ben Roethlisberger wasextended to the rest of the Steelers on Wednesday.
    Pittsburgh’s veteran receiver said at a team meeting that he
    regretted creating a distraction when he questioned why a
    concussion had kept Roethlisberger from playing against
    Baltimore on Sunday night, a game the struggling Steelers lost

in overtime.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...-qbs-toughness

I remember he had apologized.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    .I read that that he apologized for creating a distraction. Then he said he should have gave the PC response instead at the end, which more or less undermines his supposed apology to Ben.

I suppose at the time they did put it behind them . But I get the sense that the fact that it came out in the first place reveals their true feelings for one another.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    .I read that that he apologized for creating a distraction. Then he said he should have gave the PC response instead at the end, which more or less undermines his supposed apology to Ben.
    And then there was the time he publicly bitched about Arians and Ben being "too close" and basically accused Arians of padding Ben's stats instead of doing what was "right for the team" as a result of it. Yet Ward didn't seem to mind it all too much when the two of them were dialing up shovel passes to him for negative yardage just to pad his stats and get him to the 1,000-reception mark for his career.

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    And then there was the time he publicly bitched about Arians and Ben being "too close" and basically accused Arians of padding Ben's stats instead of doing what was "right for the team" as a result of it. Yet Ward didn't seem to mind it all too much when the two of them were dialing up shovel passes to him for negative yardage just to pad his stats and get him to the 1,000-reception mark for his career.
    In a game where the score was very close too.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPgh View Post
    In a game where the score was very close too.
    Damn. Mr Pgh and Fansince 76 seemingly on the same side of an issue. How far off can the zombie apocalypse be?

\

Go suck a dick Hines. You just had it shoved up your candy ass.

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrPgh View Post
    Go suck a dick Hines. You just had it shoved up your candy ass.
    -- Said Ben, when the cameras were gone.

Dwinsgames

when the remarks where made they where accurate ... today not so much

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    when the remarks where made they where accurate ... today not so much
    No they weren't. Ben wasn't running the no-huddle and Haley admitted he called nearly 3/4ths of the plays.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Can we get Hines to say this every week?
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    Can we get Hines to say this every week?
    No doubt. C'mon Hines, keep dissing Ben!

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    No doubt. C'mon Hines, keep dissing Ben!
    Yep. Ben plays his best with a chip on his shoulder. I still love Ward. But there';s no doubt not much love is lost between Ben and Hines. And you know damn well Ben wants to make Hines eat those words before the season is over.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

I missed it what did Hines say last night after the steelers big win?

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steel striker View Post
    I missed it what did Hines say last night after the steelers big win?
    From his Facebook page:

Big win in the bumble bees! Proud of my guys! It's going to be a good one next Sunday vs the Ravens. Stay tuned. Hines