Thread: Steelers' Tuitt to get first start vs. Texans

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Steelers' Tuitt to get first start vs. Texans

On Sept. 30, 2001, the Steelers played Buffalo at Ralph Wilson Stadium. In the their first game after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, they beat the Bills for the first of five consecutive victories en route to a 13-3 record and an AFC Central Division title.

That day more than 13 years ago also is noteworthy for another reason. It was the most recent time the Steelers started a rookie defensive end.

That long drought will end Monday night against the Houston Texans when second-round draft pick Stephon Tuitt makes his first NFL start.
    Tuitt, a 6-foot-5, 303-pounder from Notre Dame, will get the nod because of an injury to nose tackle Steve McLendon. Starting defensive end Cam Thomas will move to nose tackle, and Tuitt will take Thomas’ place at defensive end.

“He has great raw material — tremendous size and tremendous athletic ability,” defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said. “He’s going to be a good player...............

Read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201410180087

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: Steelers' Tuitt to get first start vs. Texans

About fucking time.

Wish we would have McCullers active for this game too - if Thomas plays at NT the way he has at DE, we're basically down to zero nose tackles.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Bleedin' the B&G Array title="Steelman has much to be proud of"> Steelman's Avatar

I hate that he gets the start because Bum Thomas has to move inside. But at least Tuitt's getting the start. Here's hoping he can make an impact!

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

It's about damn time

Senior Member Array title="one side only is a jewel in the rough"> one side only's Avatar

http://dkonpittsburghsports.com/2014...round-defense/

Another great column from Dejan Kovacevic. The Tomlin quote is telling.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I wish McCullers was starting with Tuitt. McCullers couldn't possibly be as bad as Can't Thomas

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Glad to see some new blood out there even if it was because of an injury. I get so tired of hearing how complex (exotic is another great one) the system is to get younger player in there. You don't need all 400+ pages of the playbook to win a damn game.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    Glad to see some new blood out there even if it was because of an injury. I get so tired of hearing how complex (exotic is another great one) the system is to get younger player in there. You don't need all 400+ pages of the playbook to win a damn game.
    It's not that complex. All the defensive free agents we sign seem to fit right in after a few months' preparation. (Well, assuming they are any good to begin with, but that's a separate issue). Why don't THEY take two or three years to be ready? How on earth did Shazier just miraculously happen to figure it out?

I read the "complex defense" thing as an excuse for the fact that a lot of our younger players in recent years just weren't good enough. A few years ago, you had the excuse that they were "learning" behind great players like A. Smith, Keisel, Harrison, Troy, etc., who by all rights deserved to get the bulk of the playing time anyway. Now that cover is blown, and it's time to cut the bullshit. Sink or swim time.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by one side only View Post
    http://dkonpittsburghsports.com/2014...round-defense/

Another great column from Dejan Kovacevic. The Tomlin quote is telling.

By the way, this was one of the best articles I've seen on the subject possibly ever. Tyler's words coming out of my mouth. Thanks for sharing!
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I wish McCullers was starting with Tuitt. McCullers couldn't possibly be as bad as Can't Thomas
    At least McCullers shouldn't be getting pushed backwards, like he was playing on ice skates.

AML

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Glad to see Tuitt getting the start, whatever the circumstances are. Also glad to see Big Dan finally get a chance to dress and I hope that he gets in for a decent amount of plays.

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently Keisel is getting the start instead of Tuitt.