Thread: On the Steelers: Cowher, Ward call team 'soft'

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

On the Steelers: Cowher, Ward call team 'soft'

Even the alumni are upset.

Not since Dwight White derided one version of a 1980s Steelers defense as “soft and cheesy” has a former Steelers player or coach leveled such criticism as two did Sunday. It came after the Steelers lost in Cleveland, 31-10, and it came hard and tight from both who described them in similar ways.

“I never thought I would say these words,” former coach Bill Cowher said on CBS-TV, “but Pittsburgh has gotten soft.” He called them “finesse on offense, soft on defense.”

He was not alone. Hines Ward, their all-time leading receiver, chimed in on NBC-TV.

“They’re very close to hitting that panic button … The defense looks soft. Guys are just able to run the ball up and down the field. I look at their personnel; they can’t cover anybody in the secondary. Offensively, I thought I’d never say it, but the Steelers are a finesse offense right now. I don’t even know who these guys are.”

read more

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201410140117

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Re: On the Steelers: Cowher, Ward call team 'soft'

Senior Member Array title="one side only is a jewel in the rough"> one side only's Avatar

Tomlin's comments at today's press conference (like many others before it) shows he's nothing more than a talking head as well. Those must be very large stones McCullers and Bryant have been under.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Maybe. But they do have a point. Hard to dispute their opinion based on the last 3 games.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by one side only View Post
    Tomlin's comments at today's press conference (like many others before it) shows he's nothing more than a talking head as well. Those must be very large stones McCullers and Bryant have been under.
    I thought Tomlin's comments were near perfect today. He said he respects those guys (Ward and Cowher), but that they are on the outside looking in, and that he is only concerned with the significant issues affecting the team in the locker room. He also called out Jason Worilds, not in a totally negative way, but pointed out that he is being paid to consistently produce and that he has not been living up to the paycheck he is earning. He hinted at Brice McCain getting more time in the secondary as well at Martavis Bryant suiting up.

I'm not saying Tomlin has been perfect, but he handled the media well today I thought. I don't think he blindly thinks everything is perfect with this team either, but they are 3-3 and certainly not out of it at this point, although they do have to start improving their overall play quickly IMO if they want to have a shot at the post-season.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    I thought Tomlin's comments were near perfect today. He said he respects those guys (Ward and Cowher), but that they are on the outside looking in, and that he is only concerned with the significant issues affecting the team in the locker room. He also called out Jason Worilds, not in a totally negative way, but pointed out that he is being paid to consistently produce and that he has not been living up to the paycheck he is earning. He hinted at Brice McCain getting more time in the secondary as well at Martavis Bryant suiting up.

I'm not saying Tomlin has been perfect, but he handled the media well today I thought. I don't think he blindly thinks everything is perfect with this team either, but they are 3-3 and certainly not out of it at this point, although they do have to start improving their overall play quickly IMO if they want to have a shot at the post-season.
    I'm not a Tomlin hater but I'm not happy with the way things are right now. But, the one thing that I really don't like is his "hints" of others getting playing time. In 2009, he "hinted" at DBs getting benched (can't remember the game) but nothing came of it. I think Joe Burnett got in 2 series in the next game and that was it. Take their asses out and put in somebody else. If you really go back to the "lab", find the right mixture. Don't just mix CO2 a thousand times and expect helium to suddenly appear.

Senior Member Array title="one side only is a jewel in the rough"> one side only's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post

Tomlin handled the media very well; talking remains his primary strength. He deftly dodged DK's question about gameplanning being part of the problem in the red zone, and later declared there will be no sweeping changes, but he will look under stones for players.

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vader29 View Post

That is no BS; that is straight fire. Obviously.

Senior Member Array title="MrPgh has a spectacular aura about">

Tomlin talks the talk, but he can't walk the walk.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by one side only View Post
    And a very arrogant one at that.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

turning stones unleashing hell, what ever. till I see some of these attempts to make things better, i'll assume he is just blowing smoke as usual
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

I don't know what earth shattering revelations people expect from sports interviews and press conferences.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Defending every rock in the yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

They are soft

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    I don't know what earth shattering revelations people expect from sports interviews and press conferences.
    THIS!!

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    How about come prepared with a list of benchings. Maybe some real news about changes he would actually make.
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    How about come prepared with a list of benchings. Maybe some real news about changes he would actually make.
    "well, Dejan, that is good question. We have noticed in detailed film study that our run defense is getting gashed because we have the following 3 tendencies {list whatever they are}. As a result we will now be changing the defensive player rotations as follows {details here} and we will be redirecting our formations towards these concepts and schemes {elaborate drawings and details here}. I hope that this not only answers your question but provides our upcoming opponents with enough details to round out their scouting reports and film study. Thank you for you time."

C'mon. The NFL is a league where guys cover their mouths with play-sheets when making in game calls. This league is run by a bunch of paranoid secretive stressed out coaches. There is simply no way that a team or coach will provide more than vague generalities in any press conference ever. Even if things are going well, they won't talk about it because they want to use the play/concept again.

Senior Member Array title="blackngldblood has a spectacular aura about"> blackngldblood's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    "well, Dejan, that is good question. We have noticed in detailed film study that our run defense is getting gashed because we have the following 3 tendencies {list whatever they are}. As a result we will now be changing the defensive player rotations as follows {details here} and we will be redirecting our formations towards these concepts and schemes {elaborate drawings and details here}. I hope that this not only answers your question but provides our upcoming opponents with enough details to round out their scouting reports and film study. Thank you for you time."

C'mon. The NFL is a league where guys cover their mouths with play-sheets when making in game calls. This league is run by a bunch of paranoid secretive stressed out coaches. There is simply no way that a team or coach will provide more than vague generalities in any press conference ever. Even if things are going well, they won't talk about it because they want to use the play/concept again.
    You mean to tell me that all practices aren't open to the general public? We can't pay to go watch film with the players Monday through Friday? The nerve!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Heinz Hitman is on a distinguished road"> Heinz Hitman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

Exactly. Every coach is generic as hell with their press conferences. They do them because they HAVE to, not because they are trying to fill us in on what is going on. They all feel the need to be as secretive as possible, hoping they can pull anything at all over the opposition. I get tired of all of the Tomlinisms myself, but really - what is he going to say?
    “I don’t want to see anyone injured, but I’m not opposed to hurting anyone. There’s a difference. When you’re injured, you can’t play. But when you’re hurt, you can shake it off and come back. I try to hurt people.” – James Harrison