Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who Plays Center?

Who Plays Center?

OK,

its time to get back to football after all the spamming at SF.

SO, we have a new center drafted that seems to have taken a lot of snaps at that position of late. Also, I have read somewhere that the project to have him play RG is over.

Does he line up at center for our first game? Is Hartwig there instead? And, what are your thoughts on what happens to Legursky, who was quite impressive last year.

clowns hater Array title="Prok is an unknown quantity at this point"> Prok's Avatar

I hope Pouncey can earn the starting job and stay there 10-15 years. *waves towel*
    Even the best of men can be self-absorbed and self-righteous.

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

Pouncey will start at RG. I dont believe he will be given the full responsibility of snapping and calling. They will want him to get a feel for the speed and strength of the pro's first. Hartwigs contract number is indicative of what the FO and coaching staff thinks of his ability. He will continue to start at OC if fit.

The bigger question I can see is who are going to be the two backups for the season opener? Who are the two best swing men who can cover all 5 spots between them?

"NUMBER 7 FOR OUR BELOVED ONE IN HEAVEN"

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

My gut feeling is that Hartwig will start, but Pouncey will not be far behind. I'm excited to see what he brings to the table.

Quest For 7 Array title="steelpride12 is a splendid one to behold"> steelpride12's Avatar

Knowing the Steelers they will want Pouncy to get many reps in before becoming a starting at center. I don't see him getting many snaps there, and he may end up at RG. Hartwig will start at center this season with a few snaps to pouncy, but not many.

clowns hater Array title="Prok is an unknown quantity at this point"> Prok's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelpride12 View Post
    Knowing the Steelers they will want Pouncy to get many reps in before becoming a starting at center. I don't see him getting many snaps there, and he may end up at RG. Hartwig will start at center this season with a few snaps to pouncy, but not many.
    I wouldn't complain about him playing RG. Important thing for me is to get these early round picks developed and on the field as quickly as possible. Thats our formula for re-loading imo.
    Even the best of men can be self-absorbed and self-righteous.

Quest For 7 Array title="steelpride12 is a splendid one to behold"> steelpride12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prok View Post
    I wouldn't complain about him playing RG. Important thing for me is to get these early round picks developed and on the field as quickly as possible. Thats our formula for re-loading imo.
    Agreed, but the Steelers are a team that does not rush their players on the field and I think giving these draft picks a few seasons of practice and workload before they can see ample playin time.

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

If Pouncy starts at center, this year, he is even better than I thought he would be. Think he stays at RG for the year even thought he could take a few snaps at OC. Next year will be a completely different story, unless we draft his brother.

Senior Member Array title="SteelersinCA is an unknown quantity at this point">

I'm betting Pouncey doesn't start for at least a year. Hartwig needs to teach him a thing or two first.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Hartwig will start at C,.....Pouncy at RG, until mid season when Hartwig will be out with an injury. Pouncy will take over C and Legursky will be at RG.

Senior Member Array title="SteelersinCA is an unknown quantity at this point">

OOOOhhhh I forgot all about Legursky

Formerly Big7BenHOF Array title="ChosenOne is an unknown quantity at this point">

Hartwig will most likely start at center this year. I'd assume Pouncey will take over for him sometime next year.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Legursky is playing with the 1st team at Center at OTA's in the absence of Hartwig. Maybe he'll surprise us...

Senior Member Array title="JayC is a glorious beacon of light"> JayC's Avatar

Hartwig won't lose his position to a rookie, at least that's what i believe.

Qui dall'inizio Array title="Vincent is on a distinguished road"> Vincent's Avatar

Dirt played RG his first campaign. Pouncey's a pup. Let him learn and get used to the big boys. He'll be fine in a year. He plays with some attitude. I'd like to see him at RG this year. We could have a decent OL.
    http://www.steeluniverse.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=20&dateline=127519049  3

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
    but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

Abraham Lincoln

Senior Member Array title="MasterOfPuppets is on a distinguished road">

No contact is supposed to take place in NFL spring practices, yet try telling that to rookie Maurkice Pouncey's big left toe.

Guard Trai Essex stomped on it early in practice Wednesday, and Pouncey yelped in pain as trainers rushed to check the damage.

An injury to the first-round draft choice who has not yet signed a contract in a non-contact spring drill may not rank up there with losing your starting quarterback to suspension for the first four games, but it is not a good thing, either.

"Oh, man, 330 pounds on a toe!" Pouncey exclaimed long after the pain subsided and it was determined no serious injury had occurred. After trainers inspected and wiggled his big piggy for several minutes, Pouncey bounced back up and completed the drill.

"I felt it a little bit at first, but I got back in there and couldn't let the guys down."

The interesting part of that drill was the position Pouncey played -- center. Starting center Justin Hartwig has been limited in practice because he had shoulder surgery after the season, and Doug Legursky, who has been running as the No. 1 center, had a minor issue and watched practice.

So Pouncey and Kraig Urbik played center Wednesday. Pouncey is a past and future center who Steelers coaches said would play right guard this season. Urbik was drafted as a guard last year, but is trying to add to his repertoire after mostly watching games in street clothes as a rookie in 2009.

"Nowadays in the NFL most teams dress seven linemen on gameday," said new offensive line coach Sean Kugler, who coached the Buffalo Bills' offensive linemen last season. "So, if you're not in the starting five and you are one of the backups, you have to play two positions."

Pouncey is competing against Essex, Urbik and Ramon Foster to start at right guard, which belonged to the now-departed Darnell Stapleton a year ago before he buckled to knee surgery in August. Essex took over from there.

Pouncey not only is trying to compete at a new position for a starting job, he also is trying to get up to snuff with playing center in the pros. The Steelers wanted Pouncey to concentrate on playing right guard as a rookie, but it seems that already is out the window.

Kugler also said something interesting when asked whether the competition at right guard would continue through training camp.

"There will be competition across the line, and I think the competition with the players we added and players on the roster will only make us better."

Perhaps right guard is not the only starting job up for grabs, and maybe Pouncey will not be limited to competing at just one position.

"We've been working him at center and guard," Kugler said.

"He's been taking reps at two different groups. Today, he worked mainly at center. That will be the plan with Maurkice, continue to work him at guard and center. He's a player we feel can play both."
    http://www.pittsburghsportstavern.co...ndy-prefers-FB

Member Array title="wootawnee is an unknown quantity at this point">

I heard S. Logan is getting the nod........

Senior Member Array title="MasterOfPuppets is on a distinguished road">

i really think pouncy will start at RG. essex is the only one with starting LT experience so he'll get 1 of the 2 gameday uni's... i think foster beats out legursky and urbik just like he did last year for the other spot... i believe he played right tackle in college and did pretty well considering he was a rookie in his starts last year.
    so essex covers LT and RG... foster Covers RT and LG ... if hartwig gets hurt pouncy gets thrown under center and essex moves to RG for the rest of the game.
    Last edited by MasterOfPuppets; 05-30-2010 at 12:54 AM.

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

I really think legursky starts at center this year.. just a gut feeling

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Senior Member Array title="Boomerang is an unknown quantity at this point"> Boomerang's Avatar

Hartwig at Center i think.

The Virginia Hillbilly Array title="Galax Steeler is a splendid one to behold"> Galax Steeler's Avatar

I would love to see Pouncey come up and start but I think it will be Hartwig. If there is an injury to Hartwig then it will be Pouncey from here on out.

Senior Member Array title="solardave is an unknown quantity at this point">

I think pouncey will be at RG with Hartwig starting at C but if Hartwig falters or gets hurt it will be Pouncey's job to lose. It's the learning curve that keeps him from starting this year IMHO. Next year we draft his bro and be the first team ever to have identical twins starting on the O-line. That would be cool!

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by solardave View Post
    I think pouncey will be at RG with Hartwig starting at C but if Hartwig falters or gets hurt it will be Pouncey's job to lose. It's the learning curve that keeps him from starting this year IMHO. Next year we draft his bro and be the first team ever to have identical twins starting on the O-line. That would be cool!
    dont know much about his brother
    how old?
    how good?

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

The Virginia Hillbilly Array title="Galax Steeler is a splendid one to behold"> Galax Steeler's Avatar

I would say if Hartwig struggles and gives up the sacks that would definetly open the door for Pouncey.

Quote Originally Posted by Galax Steeler View Post
    I would say if Hartwig struggles and gives up the sacks that would definetly open the door for Pouncey.
    I think Hartwig will have room for some mistake before Pouncey would be given the greenlight. I don't see Tomlin throwing him to the wolves because of a few bad plays. Now a bad first half of the season then maybe so.
    Missing you every day, thinking about the memories every moment, loving you every second Mom ♥ R.I.P. 1951-2011

"When you go out on the field and you're intense for 60 minutes, some guys don't want to do it. When I line up across from him, he has to do one of two things, he has to raise his level of play, or he's going to get his *** kicked all day"

- Greg Lloyd

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

I don't see Pouncey playing center this year except for an injury situation. Get him a year of experience first and then he can take over the starting center job next year.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I think this is Hartwig's final year to start at C, Pouncey will compete for the RG spot and then take over the C job the following season.

Legursky I think might be the odd man out, or a reason they keep 10 O linemen. I honestly think our interior line is gonna be Kemo, Pouncey, Urbik in 2 years with backups of Foster and Legursky inside. Chris Scott or Jonathon Scott will be the RT in 2 seasons if Willie Colon cannot be extended and I think this is the final year we see Trai Essex in B&G (he even could be a camp cut)

Senior Member Array title="solardave is an unknown quantity at this point">

Quote Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
    dont know much about his brother
    how old?
    how good?
    The reason (one of two ) Maurkice left early was so his brother could take over his natural position at center. I'm pretty sure Michael was starting at RG.