Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If the Steelers miss the playoffs....?

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

If the Steelers miss the playoffs....?

If the Steelers miss the playoffs for the 3rd straight year do you think there would be some thought given to trading Ben? Remember 2015 is the last year of his current contract. He's in line for a big pay raise, if the team is so weakened that you haven't been able to make the playoffs 3 straight years why would you believe the 4th would be any different? You really want to commit that sort of salary cap space for an aging qb that hasn't advanced you to the playoffs for 3 straight years? Don't you think Bruce Arians and Pittsburgh west, or the Rams, two teams built to win now, but absent a quarterback wouldn't pay a nice price in draft picks to get Ben? Maybe even a player and picks for Ben? Aaron Donald and next year's 1 and 2 for Ben? Remember the Rams are loaded with extra picks from the RG III trade.

Look I'm not trying to start shit. Well maybe a little I'm a huge Ben fan as anyone on this board knows. But seriously if we lose this week to Cleveland, which many of you think we will ( I don't, I think this will be a Steelers statement win) then if that happens then I think you probably are looking at another non playoff year. And if this team starts going off the rails don't be shocked if the Haley - Ben rift reopens or widens. Maybe even a Tomlin -Ben rift could be exposed.

Also you have to consider that maybe we'd be better off with more of a game manager the next few seasons? I think LeVeon Bell is as good as back as there is in the league right now and for the next 4 or 5 years. Will Ben accept a smaller role in order to let Bell reach his full potential?

Just food for thought folks. Not trying to troll, just think this is something that could crop up this offseason if we were to miss the playoffs again.

But that all said I really don't think we will miss the playoffs. I think we start our run this week.

Ok now I'll step aside and let everyone kill me.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="one side only is a jewel in the rough"> one side only's Avatar

Re: If the Steelers mis the playoffs....?

Let the Landry Jones era begin. Seriously, I think Ben might want want a change in scenery if he sees the window closing in Pittsburgh. I think the Cardinals would trade a couple of number one picks for him.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by one side only View Post
    Let the Landry Jones era begin. Seriously, I think Ben might want want a change in scenery if he sees the window closing in Pittsburgh. I think the Cardinals would trade a couple of number one picks for him.
    The sad thing about Landry Jones is that if this team had recognized what they had in Brian Hoyer at the end of the 2012 season then they likely don;t waste that 4th round pick on Jones. Ryan Clark recognized his talent, said it was obvious he had a major league arm and good qb sense. But somehow it completely escaped our coaching staff?

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I'd rather get rid of Mike, Dick & Todd

Senior Member Array title="slippy will become famous soon enough"> slippy's Avatar

Re: If the Steelers miss the playoffs....?

sorry Zu, there is the bradshaw era and the ben era and nothing in between. we ride ben until the bitter end! 'nuff said.

muncher

the only thing saving tomlin from running this team into the ground is ben. he aint going anywhere.

Senior Member Array title="MrPgh has a spectacular aura about">

Huh? Somebody still thinks Landry Jones can be an NFL QB?

Reigning Black & Gold Array title="venom has a reputation beyond repute"> venom's Avatar

Ben stays until his arm falls off

Senior Member Array title="one side only is a jewel in the rough"> one side only's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrPgh View Post
    Huh? Somebody still thinks Landry Jones can be an NFL QB?
    Nobody that I know of . . . "Seriously" was the transition word from sarcasm to opinion.

Bleedin' the B&G Array title="Steelman has much to be proud of"> Steelman's Avatar

If we miss the playoffs again, I don't foresee the Rooney's being on board for trading Ben. I think they'd be more likely to make coaching changes.

Senior Member Array title="MrPgh has a spectacular aura about">

Quote Originally Posted by Steelman View Post
    If we miss the playoffs again, I don't foresee the Rooney's being on board for trading Ben. I think they'd be more likely to make coaching changes.
    Given Art II's track record, I'm not so sure he should be picking the coach. If he wants to re-evaluate the GM position, fine, but once that's done, let the GM decide what to do with the head coach. Then let the head coach decide what he wants to do with his coordinators and staff.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Several things. Trading a franchise QB is never going to be a "win" for the team giving up the QB - unless that QB is in obvious decline and you have a replacement on the team (Favre and Rodgers situation). This is because almost all the resources you get in return, plus your existing draft resources will be expended to trade and secure a high enough pick to get your replacement QB. Say the Steelers finish 8-8 and trade with a 8-8 Rams team and get a 1st and a 2nd in 2015 plus 2016 1st. All those picks are middle of the first round or lower. Likely would need to move into the top 5 to get a franchise QB. So that means the 2015 1st from the Rams, the 2015 2nd from the rams and either the Steelers existing 2015 1st or that future pick from the Rams has to shipped to someone to get into the top portion of the draft. Not a good use of resources.

Hoyer is not that good. He is not a "franchise" QB. He has a mediocre arm at best and much of his stats have come in frantic garbage time or comeback situations. All other NFL teams have had multiple chances at rostering Brian Hoyer. Only the Browns decided to do it because they literally had no one else. Now, Landry Jones stinks, but I will not sit back and let Hoyer be viewed as the "one who got away".

All that being said, never trade Ben unless he tries to do something dumb like play until he is 47. The Steelers do need to keep taking shots at falling "prospects" like Landry Jones so they don't find themselves wandering the AB wilderness again after Ben hangs them up. I dream that in two years or so another Russell Wilson type falls in the draft. Never get that lucky!

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

NO.

/thread

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Hoyer is not that good. He is not a "franchise" QB. He has a mediocre arm at best and much of his stats have come in frantic garbage time or comeback situations. All other NFL teams have had multiple chances at rostering Brian Hoyer. Only the Browns decided to do it because they literally had no one else. Now, Landry Jones stinks, but I will not sit back and let Hoyer be viewed as the "one who got away".
    This. Hoyer = Derek Anderson redux. And the Browns will probably throw a ton of cash at this one too.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

If we trade Ben, it better be an offer Pittsburgh can't refuse along, and by that I mean in the RG3 trade neighborhood like 3 1st round picks and at least another pick probably no lower than 4th. No sane team will agree to that for a QB in his 30s

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    If we trade Ben, it better be an offer Pittsburgh can't refuse along, and by that I mean in the RG3 trade neighborhood like 3 1st round picks and at least another pick probably no lower than 4th. No sane team will agree to that for a QB in his 30s
    If the Steelers trade Ben, it better be a swindle on the level of the Dallas/Minnesota Herschel Walker trade.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Even that wouldn't really be enough. The Rams have all that nice high draft pick talent and it is going nowhere because Austin Davis is the best they can do at QB.

Only way to even consider trading Ben is if another Luck type prospect is on the board or another class of 84 or 04 situation where there are multiple legit "franchise" guys in the draft. Since that happens every 20 years or so, I guess we are kinda screwed!

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    If the Steelers trade Ben, it better be a swindle on the level of the Dallas/Minnesota Herschel Walker trade.
    That would constitute an offer they couldn't refuse, to quote Vito Corleone

That would constitute an offer they couldn't refuse, to quote Vito Corleone
    Not just an offer they couldn't refuse, but an offer that suggests that Colbert quite literally bent another team's GM over his desk and gave it to him dry the way Jimmy Johnson did to Mike Lynn. The kind of deal that literally ruins a NFL GM's career to the point that he'll never get another job in the league again.

Dwinsgames

I suggested this last year around december and the vast majority was appalled at the thought ...

it is not a "smart or dumb move " its a lateral move with long term potential gains at minimal $ but it could backfire too ...

no move is without risk ...

but with risk comes potential reward ..

I just dont want Tomlin and Colbert making any long terms franchise moves for this team as they are why we are in the place we are right now

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

I think the only reason they would trade Ben is if Ben asked to be traded. I really don't think he would do that, but you never know. If this team has promise and growth potential, I think Ben takes a home town discount so that he can retire a Steeler.

If we miss the playoffs again and the FO is in turmoil, then all bets are off.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Steelers would get too much bad PR. If changes need to be made they could make an unprecedented move and let Tomlin's contract run out before he is ready to retire.
    All Defense!

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I'd rather get rid of Mike, Dick & Todd
    I'm with you on that one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Remember the Rams are loaded with extra picks from the RG III trade.
    If I'm not mistaken, the picks from the RG III trade have been used.

It's also possible that the Rams might have found their QB of the future already with the way that Austin Davis has been playing.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    I suggested this last year around december and the vast majority was appalled at the thought ...

it is not a "smart or dumb move " its a lateral move with long term potential gains at minimal $ but it could backfire too ...

no move is without risk ...

but with risk comes potential reward ..

I just dont want Tomlin and Colbert making any long terms franchise moves for this team as they are why we are in the place we are right now
    I don't think it's a lateral move at all. In my opinion it's a crazy risk with no obvious reward unless you have someone to rebuild like Belichik or you're staring at an Andrew Luck situation. The logo on the helmet is not magic. Who is it that you trust to rebuild this team? This move just puts us somewhere in the pack praying that something good will happen in the next ten years. This offense has talent that has not been fully exploited. This defense could be a year away from being good enough to take us somewhere. I'd rather ride those odds with Ben than scrap everything for a couple of draft picks and a prayer.

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    This. Hoyer = Derek Anderson redux. And the Browns will probably throw a ton of cash at this one too.
    My point was he was a more than competent back up for Ben had he been kept. The kind of back up that could keep a season afloat if your starter went down for 2-6 games. Had the Steelers brass recognized Hoyer's value perhaps they don't waste a 4th round pick on Landry Jones? My thought was that Jones wasn't drafted to be Ben's replacement so much as he was brought on board to replace Charlie Batch and Byron Leftwich who not coincidentally ended their run with the Steelers in the most recently completed season before Jones was drafted. So ergo recognize the value of Hoyer and don't waste that 4th round pick on a back up qb. Remember Aaron Smith, Ike Taylor, and Larry Foote are all former 4th round picks. So if you think we are better off with Landry Jones than Brian Hoyer as our back up to Ben, good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    I think the only reason they would trade Ben is if Ben asked to be traded. I really don't think he would do that, but you never know. If this team has promise and growth potential, I think Ben takes a home town discount so that he can retire a Steeler.

If we miss the playoffs again and the FO is in turmoil, then all bets are off.
    The premise of this thread is that we miss the playoffs. Not that I'm predicting it. But judging by the way many on here on picking the Steelers to lose to the Browns this coming Sunday I'm guessing many of you are feeling we will.

So purely Devils advocate, say we miss the playoffs for the 3rd straight season, then do you really see the Steelers committing 90 million for a 4 year contract to a 33 year old qb? Figure at least 50 million guaranteed.

The premise of this thread is that we miss the playoffs. Not that I'm predicting it. But judging by the way many on here on picking the Steelers to lose to the Browns this coming Sunday I'm guessing many of you are feeling we will.

So purely Devils advocate, say we miss the playoffs for the 3rd straight season, then do you really see the Steelers committing 90 million for a 4 year contract to a 33 year old qb? Figure at least 50 million guaranteed.
    More likely they don't extend him at all and franchise tag him.

More likely they don't extend him at all and franchise tag him.
    So you're talking what, about 24 million for a single year against your cap? Isn't that about what a franchise tag would cost for a qb? Over a 1/4 of your cap tied up in one player, with a 53 man roster.

Isn't Jay Cutler the highest paid at $17.5M? Maybe its 24 mil with an expanded salary cap when Ben would be a free agent. They might like that idea better than a long term deal to a guy who might not play it out. If they don't extend him in the off season, maybe Ben decides to play out the last year of his deal and force their hand.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Who knows what it will take to keep Ben in the Black and Gold. He is getting to that nervous age, especially with the punishment he has taken. However, it depends what is on the horizon. If a player is available from where we end up in the draft, it would be worthwhile to test the waters.

I think it is going to come down to Ben and what he sees for his future. If there is hope that the Steelers are legitimate SB contenders in the short term, I think he will stay for a discount. If it is a repeat of this year's underwhelming effort, Ben may leave on his own.