Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: If the Steelers miss the playoffs....?

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Re: If the Steelers miss the playoffs....?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    in fairness Landry Jones was a 2nd round pick /talent on many draft sites coming from such a prolific passing team as he did many thought he could be a pretty good NFL QB , what was over looked is his inability to read a def when taking a snap under center ( something he did maybe 5 times at Oklahoma ) and his inability to learn the necessary footwork to be a drop back passer ( a necessity in the NFL ) .. those 2 things should be a gimme but not always are as easily learned as it sounds ... Jones has failed at this point to become comfortable doing so and it has more than hindered his ability to develop ... there is no questioning his arm , he has a very good arm ...

trust me I am in no way validating his roster spot as he is undeserving , but he is not a talentless bum , he just lacks the ability to do some mandatory aspects of the pro game that went unrecognized prior to being drafted ...

its hard to say what a guy can't do when you have not seen him try it before pulling the trigger on him ... it did seem to be a steal at the time , but time has proven otherwise ( and I am not one to defend this front office )
    He does indeed, its too bad he won't have the chance to develop, so he should be on the PS imo.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

For me, I would rather gamble on a guy like Landry Jones developing and reaching his ceiling, then take the "Safe" bet with a guy with limited upside, like Hoyer.

In this case, as will often be the case, it bit the Steelers in the ass. Guys you gamble on for the prospect of them reaching their ceiling also have far lower floors.

But I am a big believer in rolling the dice with the bottom 1/3 of your roster and wish the Steelers more frequently churned theirs.

For instance, I would sign Chris Carter's kid and cut Justin Brown.

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I would have had the contract drawn up and ready to sign before he made it to the facility and his plane would have been due to land by 11pm Nov. 30 ( he could have signed dec 1 in the nfl )

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Anyone regretting Hoyer now?

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5463/brian-hoyer

It is almost like once the league got enough film on him, learned his tendencies, strengths, and weakness, he was exposed as an average player at best.
    Gee, that sounds familiar...kinda like Derek Anderson's career bell curve...

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Hoyer is not that good. He is not a "franchise" QB. He has a mediocre arm at best and much of his stats have come in frantic garbage time or comeback situations. All other NFL teams have had multiple chances at rostering Brian Hoyer. Only the Browns decided to do it because they literally had no one else. Now, Landry Jones stinks, but I will not sit back and let Hoyer be viewed as the "one who got away".
    This. Hoyer = Derek Anderson redux. And the Browns will probably throw a ton of cash at this one too.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

There's nothing wrong with Derek Anderson as a backup. In small doses he's proven to be player who can go in and help win a game. Saying Hoyer is the same guy is fair enough. Because like Anderson, Hoyer has a place in the league. As a back up.

Landry Jones, not so much.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    I would have had the contract drawn up and ready to sign before he made it to the facility and his plane would have been due to land by 11pm Nov. 30 ( he could have signed dec 1 in the nfl )
    Looks like he has decided to hold a "Pro Day" in January then sign with a team. Colts and Browns are rumored to be very interested.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

But I am a big believer in rolling the dice with the bottom 1/3 of your roster and wish the Steelers more frequently churned theirs.

Now there's a guy who just - I mean really - why the fuck is he even on the roster at this point? Even if all the rest of our receivers broke their ankles, I still wouldn't want him out there. We tried that experiment and the results were stupid. So what exactly are we waiting for?
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Play at the same level you have for the past two games for the next two games Ben and I'll gladly eat all the crow anyone here cares to serve me. Perhaps it was as simple as correcting his throwing motion? Maybe he just needs that chip planted back on his shoulder? The more he's doubted the better he performs? I couldn't tell you? We all know what he's capable of at his best. Now it's simply a matter of finishing.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

For me, I would rather gamble on a guy like Landry Jones developing and reaching his ceiling, then take the "Safe" bet with a guy with limited upside, like Hoyer.

In this case, as will often be the case, it bit the Steelers in the ass. Guys you gamble on for the prospect of them reaching their ceiling also have far lower floors.

Ugh, no kidding. Like with Bills safety Bacarri Rambo who picked off Aaron Rodgers TWICE on Sunday. Think he was undrafted or a 7th rounder and i remember lots of people here clamoring for him
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Currently, the Steelers have the following rankings in these major categories:

- 13th in rushing attempts
    - 13th in rushing yards
    - T20th in rushing TDs
    - 13th in YPC

- 19th in points allowed
    - 21st in yards allowed
    - T30th in yards per play allowed
    - T24th in takeaways

- 28th in punting average
    - 18th in punt return average
    - 28th in kickoff return average
    - 30th in average starting field position

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

I think this thread can be "retired" now.