Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Pens Tidbits 2014

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

Pens Tidbits 2014

Introducing this year's third jersey...

more: http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|PIT|home

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Re: Pens Tidbits 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAsteeler View Post
    Introducing this year's third jersey...

more: http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|PIT|home
    Yes finally!

When I was in Pittsburgh last week, I picked up a "classic" jersey (this style) from Hometowne Sports (it's an old school CCM made one) not even thinking that they would be the 3rd jersey for this year. Now I'm even more thrilled that I got the old style jersey and it's relevant to the present. Nice!

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

This is way, WAY overdue. In fact, I'd be all for making this their regular jerseys again. It's the one I grew up with.

It sickens me that there are Pens "fans" bitching that this looks too much like a Boston jersey. What pisses me off is that these fans probably didn't become fans Malkin and Crosby came along. It's this ignorance that makes other fan bases hate us.

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAsteeler View Post
    It sickens me that there are Pens "fans" bitching that this looks too much like a Boston jersey. What pisses me off is that these fans probably didn't become fans Malkin and Crosby came along. It's this ignorance that makes other fan bases hate us.
    I'm not surprised by this in the least. They're bandwagon "fans" who don't know or care about the history of the team or the uniform. They all sicken me.

Hophead Array title="SCSTILLER has a spectacular aura about"> SCSTILLER's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    This is way, WAY overdue. In fact, I'd be all for making this their regular jerseys again. It's the one I grew up with.
    It's the one I grew up with also. I remember in school having a 77 Paul Coffey jersey just like these ones. If they made these the regular jersey's like you mentioned above, I would love it.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go!" -- John Muir

It's that time of year again, boys and girls. It's officially hockey time! The Pens open their season at home on Thursday against the Ducks.

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

I am interested to see how different they look under the new system. It's going to be an adjustment period at the beginning, so I expect them to struggle somewhat at the start of the season, then get better as they get more comfortable in the system. Beyond that, this team is so damn soft that I won't be able to stand it. Not a single tough guy to be found anywhere in the lineup. The toughest guys on the team will be behind the bench and on the post-game show.

I hate the new NHL.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Pens Tidbits 2014

New season, new thread. New coach, will it make a difference.

Go Pens Go.

Re: Pens Tidbits 2014

I'm ready for some goddamn hockey. Pittsburgh starts tomorrow and the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins start on Saturday. Let's go Pens!!

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

I'm looking forward to the season.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

2-0. Good start, I like the new lines. All four lines seem to be playing with great energy and are controlling the play to a large degree when they're on the ice. The defensive pairings are off to a good start too. Nice to see Despres finally out of the dog house and on the ice. Anyway too early to say too much. But it's hard not to like what you see so far. And yeah I know they need to limit the turnovers and the PK needs work. But the way they're skating they remind me a lot of the 90's teams where they give up some scary chances, but they make up for it by out-chancing their opponent by a wide margin. Who knows maybe Fleury's better facing the odd 2-1, or 3-2 chance? Keeps you sharp. What's not happening, other than the penalty kill is they're not giving up many sustained cycles in their own zone. But it's still early, so who knows? Good start.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Is anyone else struggling a little to watch the Pens a little bit this year? Usually after a few games at the start of each season, the game will slow down for me, but I feel like because of the new system, the Pens are playing so fast. If I watch another game, I don't have a problem at all. Anyone else going through this too?

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    2-0. Good start, I like the new lines. All four lines seem to be playing with great energy and are controlling the play to a large degree when they're on the ice. The defensive pairings are off to a good start too. Nice to see Despres finally out of the dog house and on the ice. Anyway too early to say too much. But it's hard not to like what you see so far. And yeah I know they need to limit the turnovers and the PK needs work. But the way they're skating they remind me a lot of the 90's teams where they give up some scary chances, but they make up for it by out-chancing their opponent by a wide margin. Who knows maybe Fleury's better facing the odd 2-1, or 3-2 chance? Keeps you sharp. What's not happening, other than the penalty kill is they're not giving up many sustained cycles in their own zone. But it's still early, so who knows? Good start.
    Yeah, I'm not all that concerned right now with the turnovers and PK. It takes some time to really get comfortable in a new system, especially defensively. And they didn't really have time to work on the PK very much during camp because everything went into implementing the system. I suspect that it will be better as the season goes on.

Overall though, I am happy with the start.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post
    Is anyone else struggling a little to watch the Pens a little bit this year? Usually after a few games at the start of each season, the game will slow down for me, but I feel like because of the new system, the Pens are playing so fast. If I watch another game, I don't have a problem at all. Anyone else going through this too?
    No. They are playing much faster than they have in the past, which I like, but it hasn't been a problem for me keeping up with the pace.

No. They are playing much faster than they have in the past, which I like, but it hasn't been a problem for me keeping up with the pace.
    I hope it will slow down for me in a few games.

I have to say, I knew Hornqvist was good, but damn...I really, really like his game. I also didn't know he was that good a skater either. Dude is always around the net, has incredibly soft hands and does nothing but shoot the puck. I said he'd score 30+ with Crosby/Malkin...he might make it to 40. He has 4 goals and 42 shots already this season in just 4 games. He is exactly the kind of winger the Pens have needed for years. I think I might get his jersey instead.

Another home game against the Flyers, another loss. I don't know why they can't beat that team at home. But at the same time, they seem to play well and win in Philadelphia. Makes absolutely no sense.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

10-1-1 in the last 12 games in Pittsburgh for the Flyers

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    10-1-1 in the last 12 games in Pittsburgh for the Flyers
    That is ridiculous. I was hoping they'd fare better now that Bylsma's gone...apparently not. And they won't get another chance until April. But at the same time, it wouldn't shock me if the Pens won both games in Philly between now and then. That's the way this series has gone the past several years.

8-3 win tonight after falling behind 3-1. Not too shabby.

The Pens have 3 shutouts in their last four games, winning 3-0, 8-3, 3-0 and 5-0. They're also 18-42 (I think) on the power play this season.

154:46 shutout streak. The last goal they allowed was at 5:14 of the 2nd period against the Devils. Their PP though...it's almost like a video game PP at this point. It won't last forever though. Eventually they will hit a slump.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

- - - Updated - - -

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

I have to say, I knew Hornqvist was good, but damn...I really, really like his game. I also didn't know he was that good a skater either. Dude is always around the net, has incredibly soft hands and does nothing but shoot the puck. I said he'd score 30+ with Crosby/Malkin...he might make it to 40. He has 4 goals and 42 shots already this season in just 4 games. He is exactly the kind of winger the Pens have needed for years. I think I might get his jersey instead.
    Hornquist continues to impress. I think he instills a sense of will in the whole team. I see Crosby and Kunitz going to the net and playing with more grit this year. This is a better Penguin team for a multitude of reasons this year, but this guy is a big part of it. This looks like a tremendous trade, and one that probably good for both teams, because it looks like Neal is fitting in there.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

The one thing I was worried about with Jim Rutherford is the team would be soft. But it seems like two things are happening:

-It's not as bad as I thought it would be, and
    -It's still a little soft but it's seeming to lend itself well to Bettman's NHL.

I guess he also never had the same kind of superstar power in Carolina that he does here and Hornqvist is proving an excellent supplement.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerette View Post
    The one thing I was worried about with Jim Rutherford is the team would be soft. But it seems like two things are happening:

-It's not as bad as I thought it would be, and
    -It's still a little soft but it's seeming to lend itself well to Bettman's NHL.

I guess he also never had the same kind of superstar power in Carolina that he does here and Hornqvist is proving an excellent supplement.
    As far as I'm concerned, they're still as soft as melted butter, and they will be exposed as the season wears on.

Two words.

Big mistake.