Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Pens Tidbits 2014

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Re: Pens Tidbits 2014

I honestly don't know what's wrong with him. Yeah, he's still among the league leaders in scoring, but he really hasn't had a good season at all. Maybe all of the abuse he's taken over the years has finally caught up with him. Malkin is going to have to carry the load once he gets back into the lineup.

Of course, the bigger issue is that the Pens simply can't beat teams within their division. And since any first-round matchup will likely feature a division rival, they might be one and done again this season.

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

It's too bad the Pens could never trade Crosby because they play much better without him.

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAsteeler View Post
    It's too bad the Pens could never trade Crosby because they play much better without him.
    They'd be absolute idiots to trade him.

After everything he's been through and all he has done for this franchise, the least the fans can do is give him some benefit of the doubt. But that won't happen. In fact, I expect the internet and the radio tomorrow to be full of Pens fans demanding that he be traded.

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post

After everything he's been through and all he has done for this franchise, the least the fans can do is give him some benefit of the doubt. But that won't happen. In fact, I expect the internet and the radio tomorrow to be full of Pens fans demanding that he be traded.
    I get that, and I do agree with you, but generally speaking, it seems like they tend to play better without him.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Maybe so. But he needs to start living up to his pay grade and stop living off his reputation. I know he was the Hart Trophy winner last season, but he hasn't been the same lethal goal scorer since he had the run of head injuries. I figured it out, and the season before he got racked up in the outdoor classic he had his first 50 goal season. Then the year he was hurt he was scoring at a unprecedented pace for not only himself but for the league as it has become in recent years. Anyway the math was something along the lines that he was scoring goals at a rate of nearly .8 per game if you included the season before and the season off the injury. Since his return to play his goal scoring has dropped to about half that. Something like .38 per game.

Anyway he's still a damn good player. But he's not playing like a great player and that's what he's being paid to do.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Maybe so. But he needs to start living up to his pay grade and stop living off his reputation. I know he was the Hart Trophy winner last season, but he hasn't been the same lethal goal scorer since he had the run of head injuries. I figured it out, and the season before he got racked up in the outdoor classic he had his first 50 goal season. Then the year he was hurt he was scoring at a unprecedented pace for not only himself but for the league as it has become in recent years. Anyway the math was something along the lines that he was scoring goals at a rate of nearly .8 per game if you included the season before and the season off the injury. Since his return to play his goal scoring has dropped to about half that. Something like .38 per game.

Anyway he's still a damn good player. But he's not playing like a great player and that's what he's being paid to do.
    Crosby was never known as a pure goal scorer in the first place. He was always a pass-first player, even in junior. He does not have a goal-scorer's shot. When he was scoring all of those goals, he was living around the net, deflecting pucks left and right. That all changed after the concussion. He clearly has not been the same player since then, I agree. It just amazes me how many fans now want to dump him after a couple of bad playoff performances and one good, but not great, season so far.

BTW, scoring is down all across the league, so it's not just Sid struggling to score goals. The league is on pace to have the fewest total goals scored in a season in nearly 50 years. There probably won't be a 50-goal scorer nor a 100-point player this season. However, for all of the complaining that fans are doing over Sid's production, he still leads the league in points per game.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Crosby was never known as a pure goal scorer in the first place. He was always a pass-first player, even in junior. He does not have a goal-scorer's shot. When he was scoring all of those goals, he was living around the net, deflecting pucks left and right. That all changed after the concussion. He clearly has not been the same player since then, I agree. It just amazes me how many fans now want to dump him after a couple of bad playoff performances and one good, but not great, season so far.

BTW, scoring is down all across the league, so it's not just Sid struggling to score goals. The league is on pace to have the fewest total goals scored in a season in nearly 50 years. There probably won't be a 50-goal scorer nor a 100-point player this season. However, for all of the complaining that fans are doing over Sid's production, he still leads the league in points per game.
    Not arguing. But I would say that Malkin's surpassed him as the Penguins best player. Hopefully this team gets healthy soon. I still think they could make noise in the playoffs if they go into them healthy. Of course first they have to make them.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

That's the key - they can't ever catch a break with the injuries. Every damn year this team gets ravaged by injuries.

Senior Member Array title="TD's & Beer has a brilliant future"> TD's & Beer's Avatar

Things are looking better - Pens are scoring again with Hornqvist and Comeau back

Beau knows hockey

Senior Member Array title="TD's & Beer has a brilliant future"> TD's & Beer's Avatar

ugh - and they lose to the Craps by totally losing their minds with penalties and letting another team under their skin

wasted a helluva game by Fleury too

oh well, maybe being the wildcard this time around and playing the Isles first isn't such a bad idea

A couple things were reiterated tonight - the Pens are soft and undisciplined, Ovechkin gets away with murder and Crosby needs to shoot the damn puck when the opportunity is there instead of passing it...

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAsteeler View Post
    Crosby needs to shoot the damn puck when the opportunity is there instead of passing it...
    amen

his habit of passing everything off with little dink backward passes rubs off on his teammates and they have nowhere near the skills to make it work

this team is a turnover machine right now - frustrating

I wish Malkin showed half the amount of energy every game that Ovie has.

Whatever you think about the dude, he brings it.

I've said it a billion times elsewhere - the problem with this team is that they are not built for today's NHL. They are neither big nor tough enough, and you need both in order to win consistently - especially against Metro Division teams built especially to beat them. The Caps, Rangers, Jackets and Flyers all have a bunch of big, physical guys who know just how to wear down the small Pens team so that they are ineffective and easy to control. The Isles' game is built on speed, which constantly gives them fits. If they do not get with the times and add more size and toughness to this team, they will continue to struggle in their division and will not have any success in the playoffs.

I'm still holding onto the theory that they're sandbagging their game for the playoffs this time

I can dream, can't I?

Sid found the "eject" button on his gloves tonight and fought Brandon Dubinsky, which he should have done in the playoffs last year when he was being virtually assaulted by him while his so-called "teammates" sat around with their thumbs up their asses.

And of course Dubinsky scores the game-winning goal late in the 3rd period.

Right now, I have absolutely no answers as to why the Pens can't score goals. All that talent, and they are 0-20 on the PP this month and have the 5th fewest goals since January 19. I've resisted saying this for a long time, but I think it's time to start breaking up the band a bit. A shake-up is sorely needed.

I think it's safe to say teams are no longer in awe of the Pens

Shake em up!

Trade Kunitz today for any 3rd liner. Sutter and Erhoff too... give away Adams and Sill.

Meanwhile, James Neal is on pace to score 36 goals - I wish we had him back right about now... hate to say it, but Nashville fleeced us on that deal. Orpik looks pretty good with the Caps too, At least they aren't afraid to hit, dirty or not.

Losing Maatta was bigger than anyone imagined. Pouliot is making too many mistakes.

Kunitz would already be gone if it wasn't for Sid. It reminds me of why the Pens kept Kip Miller for so long because Jagr insisted on it, even though Miller blew major ass. Sutter has pretty much proven that he sucks big time and is not the 3rd line center we need. Shero should have pulled the trigger on trading him for Ryan Kesler. Don't even get me started on Adams.

Neal has 1 fewer goal than Malkin - 21 goals in 53 games. The Preds have 24 games left, and he needs 15 goals. Not likely to happen. BTW, Hornqvist would likely be right there with him if he didn't miss 13 games due to injury. So I'd say the trade right now gets an "incomplete."

Kunitz would already be gone if it wasn't for Sid. Sutter has pretty much proven that he sucks big time and is not the 3rd line center we need. Shero should have pulled the trigger on trading him for Ryan Kesler. Don't even get me started on Adams.

The PP sucks, they need to fix that first. The season isn't over, it hasn't even started yet. The Pens will make the playoffs.

and Sid will get over losing Kunitz, just like he got over losing Colby Armstrong

I'm afraid we're turning into a smurf team - dey soff

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

I'm starting to wonder if all these years that they were looking to find wingers to play with Sid they should have instead been looking for a top center to play with their wingers. Leadership is severely missing from this team, Adams will fight his own teammates in practice but avoids physicality in games. Kunitz should not be on the first line on any team. Just frustrating to see the same stuff year after year and if nothing changes by playoff time it will be another first round exit.

They need another top 6 winger. Then my lines would look like this:

Perron - Crosby - Hornqvist
    Comeau - Malkin - new winger
    Kunitz - Sutter - Bennett
    Spaling - Lapierre - Downie

Adams and Sill watch the games from the press box. I'd also prefer another 3rd line center or winger to replace one of Sutter/Bennett.

Quote Originally Posted by vader29 View Post
    . Just frustrating to see the same stuff year after year and if nothing changes by playoff time it will be another first round exit.
    the good news is Fleury is having his best season, by far

wildcard won't be so bad - maybe wake Mario up and get on the phone to Babcock

They need another top 6 winger..
    we are what we are - my math says Pens will make the playoffs - 24 games left and the Flyers aren't exactly setting the world on fire either ... they are 14 pts back from Pens.

It would take a heroic collapse for that to happen.....win a couple here and there, no more injuries and they can coast in

uh-oh
    now they're getting cocky

Pens Confident They'll Overcome Turbulence

R-E-L-A-X

“When you lose a couple games and aren’t playing right everyone gets nervous, coaches, players, the organization,” Malkin said. “(The situation is) not bad, but it’s not good. We know we can come back. I believe this team has good guys and good players. We need to support each other, relax and we’ll be back.”

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...t-twt-penguins

It's not the Flyers I'm worried about. It's the Panthers. They are only 9 points behind the Penguins for the top WC. They're playing some really good hockey, and they have a date with the Pens on Sunday. Who'd have thought that would be a huge game at this point in the season?

Dave Molinari @MolinariPG Johnston says he might "tweak' forward combinations to try to generate offense tonight.

this should be interesting
    Last edited by TD's & Beer; 02-21-2015 at 05:00 PM.

Perron - Crosby - Hornqvist
    And lo and behold, guess what the top line was tonight? Line 2 was almost right as well - 14-71-17. The result? A 4-2 win. They even scored a PPG!

Thanks for reading these forums, MJ. Hope you decide to keep checking in!

Yay!

A win-they tried giving it back after 3-0 going into the 3rd

And lo and behold, guess what the top line was tonight? Line 2 was almost right as well - 14-71-17. The result? A 4-2 win. They even scored a PPG!

Thanks for reading these forums, MJ. Hope you decide to keep checking in!
    You're physic

big game tonight, yeah, I forgot about the Panthers

Adams scratched!

Pens want to reacquire Jordan Staal!

The Penguins have interest in bringing back Jordan Staal, according to Josh Yohe of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

Yohe says that a move wouldn’t happen until after the season ended, though Pittsburgh has checked in now with the Hurricanes to see what it would take to get something done before the trade deadline, which is March 2. Staal is in the second season of a 10-year, $60 million contract; thus, the Penguins would need to cut payroll significantly to fit him under their cap as they have less than $1 million in space now

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/n...e-jordan-staal

Pens up 5-0 in the 3rd.....Sid and Horny making magic together. Malkin gets another

Johnston finally doing what Bylsma never had the balls to do by changing up the lines.