Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arena Football coming to Pittsburgh

Tiger Lion and Steel Array title="SteelCityMan786 will become famous soon enough"> SteelCityMan786's Avatar

Where the lands are a mix of Black and Gold with some Blue and White

Arena Football coming to Pittsburgh

http://post-gazette.com/pg/10231/1081220-66.stm

Arena football team coming to Pittsburgh
    Thursday, August 19, 2010
    By Shelly Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A news conference is planned for Friday morning to outline a new Arena Football League team that will begin play at Consol Energy Center in April.

The team will rent the new arena from the Penguins, who do not have an ownership stake in the indoor football team. The name, logo and ownership details will be announced at the news conference. Steelers Hall of Fame receiver Lynn Swann is part of the ownership group.

Pittsburgh had an Arena team, the Gladiators, from 1987-1990. They played at the Civic Arena.

Read more: http://post-gazette.com/pg/10231/108...#ixzz0x4YsmLaj
    786 Ways to score touchdowns

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Arena Football coming to Pittsburgh

I know most people couldn't give a crap about Arena Football, but I actually enjoy it. We had a minor league team out here in Wilkes-Barre (played in the same arena as the WBS Pens) and I always went to the games. It was my football fix in the spring and summer. I'll be following this team for sure.

From what I've heard, some finalists for the name include the Pittsburgh Power or the Pittsburgh River Wizards. I'm ok with Power but River Wizards is kinda lame, imo.

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Hey, it's an alternative to watching the Pirates suck for 2-3 months between the end of hockey season and the start of Steelers' training camp and preseason. I'll be following them and may go to a couple of games.

The"concrete cobbler" Array title="cold-hard-steel has a brilliant future"> cold-hard-steel's Avatar

Maybe we can use them as a place to stow away players we can't really sign right at the time,but don't want to risk placing on the practice squad. That would be sweet. Or would that be cheating?
    Two bags are guarenteed to fit all sizes ,or your money back. If you are not completely satisfied call 1-800-GOO-DHELL We show 5 bags to choose from,most problems only need 2 bags .

Quote Originally Posted by cold-hard-steel View Post
    Maybe we can use them as a place to stow away players we can't really sign right at the time,but don't want to risk placing on the practice squad. That would be sweet.
    Just ask Kurt Warner what playing in the AFL can do for a young player.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

sounds pretty cool, could be a big draw, we love our sports teams and would be a diversion from the succos.

Senior Member Array title="SteelerEmpire has a spectacular aura about"> SteelerEmpire's Avatar

Something to do outside of reg. football season if they package it the right way...

If anyone wants to check out the Arena Football League at all, the website is www.arenafootball.com

Shenaniguy Array title="kmsteelerwr15 is on a distinguished road"> kmsteelerwr15's Avatar

This is great news. I have been a big Arena football fan and glad to see it expanding to Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Whatever name they choose I hope that they will use black and gold as their colors.

Quote Originally Posted by kmsteelerwr15 View Post
    This is great news. I have been a big Arena football fan and glad to see it expanding to Pittsburgh
    What's your current favorite team?

Tiger Lion and Steel Array title="SteelCityMan786 will become famous soon enough"> SteelCityMan786's Avatar

Where the lands are a mix of Black and Gold with some Blue and White

I will be taking this team on as a favorite. I have been a follower of the Orlando Predators for years. Looks like my top team will be in Pittsburgh. I guess I will gladly do that.
    786 Ways to score touchdowns

I've followed the Philadelphia Soul (yes I know, a Philly team) for a little while now (even though they didn't play this year, they'll be back next year.) I'll still support them but I'll definitely be supporting this new team as well.

oh, and If anyone's interested, a good site to get A LOT of info on the AFL is www.aflfanzone.com. I'm a member over there and it's a good site to pick up some good info.

Shenaniguy Array title="kmsteelerwr15 is on a distinguished road"> kmsteelerwr15's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAsteeler View Post
    I've followed the Philadelphia Soul (yes I know, a Philly team) for a little while now (even though they didn't play this year, they'll be back next year.) I'll still support them but I'll definitely be supporting this new team as well.

oh, and If anyone's interested, a good site to get A LOT of info on the AFL is www.aflfanzone.com. I'm a member over there and it's a good site to pick up some good info.

I'm in the same boat as you are. I have been a Soul fan since they were created (well I was born in the Philly area) but I do plan to support this team as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kmsteelerwr15 View Post
    I'm in the same boat as you are. I have been a Soul fan since they were created (well I was born in the Philly area) but I do plan to support this team as well.
    I live 2 hours north of Philly so if Pittsburgh plays there, I think I'll make the trek down to see that game. Either way, I'd like to get down to a Soul game. The only Arena Football games I've been to were the arenafootball2 (the AFL minor league) Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Pioneers that played up here.

The team is going to be the Pittsburgh Power

http://pittsburghpowerfootball.com/

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

I actually saw the Gladiators play in Civic Arena back in the day, before they moved to Tampa and became the Storm...Im excited AFL is coming bck to the Burgh, and Power is a pretty cool name

MST Junkie Array title="SteelCityMom is on a distinguished road">

That's awesome! Looks like the tickets are pretty cheap as well...that's a good thing. For $35 endzone seats I'll gladly go check out a few games when the season starts up.

Great name too...I'm just glad they didn't go with The Pittsburgh River Wizards. I was concerned about that.

I'm getting pumped for this new team. I love Arena Football.

I guess this is their "promotional" video

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Do we make "Renegade" a theme for the Power or is it only for the steelers?

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Do we make "Renegade" a theme for the Power or is it only for the steelers?
    I think the Pens use it too sometimes, so why not? Heck, even the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Pens use it every once in awhile.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

The Power will pay rent to the Penguins to play in the Arena.

Anyway, It's a nice diversion from watching the Sorry Pirates and hearing Nutjob's excuses. The annual wait for Steelers Training Camp by Mid-July is getting old.

Oh, and they have Cheerleaders!

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    The Power will pay rent to the Penguins to play in the Arena.

Anyway, It's a nice diversion from watching the Sorry Pirates and hearing Nutjob's excuses. The annual wait for Steelers Training Camp by Mid-July is getting old.

Oh, and they have Cheerleaders!
    Not just Cheerleaders, they're dancers!

Senior Member Array title="hotrodder07 is an unknown quantity at this point"> hotrodder07's Avatar

I'm pretty pumped about this. I love all types of football, and Arena football can definitely be a fun distraction until Steelers football starts. Pittsburgh Power...rolls off the tongue! Cool name!

And Lynn Swann is a co-owner. That's pretty cool.

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Just looked at some of the prices...looks like the upper deck for me. $50 for the cheapest lower-level side seat? Really??

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    Just looked at some of the prices...looks like the upper deck for me. $50 for the cheapest lower-level side seat? Really??
    Something that I've noticed is a lot of times when these teams first start up, they charge a lot for the better seats to help with the start up costs then they lower the prices. Hopefully that ends up being the case here... otherwise it's gonna look really stupid when the upper level is filled and the lower level isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAsteeler View Post
    I live 2 hours north of Philly so if Pittsburgh plays there, I think I'll make the trek down to see that game. Either way, I'd like to get down to a Soul game. The only Arena Football games I've been to were the arenafootball2 (the AFL minor league) Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Pioneers that played up here.

I went to a bunch of Carolina Cobras games when they were in Charlotte and had a lot of fun. I even caught a ball at one of the games. And I got to see Rob Bironas play.

Quest For 7 Array title="steelpride12 is a splendid one to behold"> steelpride12's Avatar

Im pumped of course who isn't another sport to this proud city and Arena Football is a unique sport and of course any team from Pittsburgh and Ill be a die hard fan from day 1!
    Missing you every day, thinking about the memories every moment, loving you every second Mom ♥ R.I.P. 1951-2011

"When you go out on the field and you're intense for 60 minutes, some guys don't want to do it. When I line up across from him, he has to do one of two things, he has to raise his level of play, or he's going to get his *** kicked all day"

- Greg Lloyd

Senior Member Array title="The WH will become famous soon enough"> The WH's Avatar

This will be a good place for all of those confused fans that show up at Penguins games in Steelers gear to go.

I´ll never forget the time I almost got in a fight with a bunch of drunk Steelers fans that were screaming for Sid to be pulled in favor of Hines Ward.