Page 34 of 75 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 2224

Thread: FIRE MIKE TOMLIN!!

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Re: FIRE MIKE TOMLIN!!

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    At least ten more days of merciful silence...

Never underestimate the power of the disgruntled fan.......

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    That post was addressed specifically to those who only show up after losses to piss and moan - that isn't you.
    I know, I just saw the thread bumped up and felt like giving him credit

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    At no point should Timmons be covering the #1 WR. At no point...
    Amen.

TY Hilton is difficult enough to cover for a CB. A 250 lbs. linebacker has zero chance.

And... this is not the first game where Timmons has been downfield covering the opposition's #1 receiver.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Amen.

TY Hilton is difficult enough to cover for a CB. A 250 lbs. linebacker has zero chance.

And... this is not the first game where Timmons has been downfield covering the opposition's #1 receiver.
    Honestly, it feels like it happens every other game.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    Honestly, it feels like it happens every other game.
    Exactly... which tells me that it's by design (as opposed to an unfortunate mismatch).

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Exactly... which tells me that it's by design (as opposed to an unfortunate mismatch).
    This has been a staple of the "fire zone" or whatever you want to cal it for over 20 years now. I don't know why anyone watching this team is surprised when it happens. I don't like it, never have. But for all the times it gets you beat downfield, we all cheer it when one of the Dbs comes off the edge unblocked.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Amen.

I definitely agree. It seems to be a scheme problem and a nightmare of a match up every time.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    This has been a staple of the "fire zone" or whatever you want to cal it for over 20 years now. I don't know why anyone watching this team is surprised when it happens. I don't like it, never have. But for all the times it gets you beat downfield, we all cheer it when one of the Dbs comes off the edge unblocked.
    I remember seeing Donald Evans dropping into a zone, about 10 yards deep, covering a receiver... but, I don't recall consistently seeing the opposition's #1 receiver being covered 30 yards down field by a LB. Maybe it happened once or twice (Kirkland comes to mind), but it definitely did not occur as many times as I've seen in recent weeks.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I remember seeing Donald Evans dropping into a zone, about 10 yards deep, covering a receiver... but, I don't recall consistently seeing the opposition's #1 receiver being covered 30 yards down field by a LB. Maybe it happened once or twice (Kirkland comes to mind), but it definitely did not occur as many times as I've seen in recent weeks.
    It isn't really the "#1" WR - at least in the Colts game. Now, we all know that Hilton is their best WR and main threat, but Timmons ends up on Hilton based on formation. Hilton comes out of the slot, Moncrief, and their other WR are the outside guys. That means Moncrief and who-ever get the CBs. IF you blitz either Shazier or a DB, then Timmons gets the slot WR.

That all makes sense eleventy billion years ago when the "Fire Zone" was dreamed up and several things were true then that are not now. That LB covered "pass receiver" was either a RB, a lumbering TE, or a true "third WR on the depth chart and not really all that good anyways" kind of guy. Now that LB covered receiving option is a lethal WR who often specializes in big plays between the hash marks.

It is move/counter-move. Bring pressure on the QB and you have to leave a "hole" in your coverage somewhere. Last night, Butler and company clearly thought that Tolzien would not make the reads quick enough and be accurate enough to make them pay for the mismatches they accepted in coverage in order to bring pressure. For the most part it worked. Now the Colts catch about 3 more passes and we are having a totally different conversation.

My only point, and I want to stress that I have always hated this coverage, is that LBs carrying guys like Hilton and other ridiculous mismatches 20+ yards downfield is how you get little guys like Gay, Townsend, Willie Williams, etc free off that edge blitz. The names I used were to highlight that this has been going on for years and is a staple of a "blitz" focused 3-4 - at least under the people who come through the Steelers system.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

It isn't really the "#1" WR - at least in the Colts game. Now, we all know that Hilton is their best WR and main threat, but Timmons ends up on Hilton based on formation. Hilton comes out of the slot, Moncrief, and their other WR are the outside guys. That means Moncrief and who-ever get the CBs. IF you blitz either Shazier or a DB, then Timmons gets the slot WR.

That all makes sense eleventy billion years ago when the "Fire Zone" was dreamed up and several things were true then that are not now. That LB covered "pass receiver" was either a RB, a lumbering TE, or a true "third WR on the depth chart and not really all that good anyways" kind of guy. Now that LB covered receiving option is a lethal WR who often specializes in big plays between the hash marks.

It is move/counter-move. Bring pressure on the QB and you have to leave a "hole" in your coverage somewhere. Last night, Butler and company clearly thought that Tolzien would not make the reads quick enough and be accurate enough to make them pay for the mismatches they accepted in coverage in order to bring pressure. For the most part it worked. Now the Colts catch about 3 more passes and we are having a totally different conversation.

My only point, and I want to stress that I have always hated this coverage, is that LBs carrying guys like Hilton and other ridiculous mismatches 20+ yards downfield is how you get little guys like Gay, Townsend, Willie Williams, etc free off that edge blitz. The names I used were to highlight that this has been going on for years and is a staple of a "blitz" focused 3-4 - at least under the people who come through the Steelers system.
    This is why the changing of the old guard to Butler. He is supposed to be trained by LeBeau, yet youthful enough to scheme differently for the situation, so we are not so predictable. We have the new players, the new schemes should be coming in already. I'm losing interest in this mentality that 'if it works once, it will work again'. Coaches are learning how to beat us, even if the play is solid. Young players, new DC, should equal new wrinkles for OCs to figure out. This game is always fluid. Good calls can end up with bad results. I would really love someone that take chances with new ideas on defense. That is how we climb above what Bellichick can prepare for.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Yeah, I was fine with going for the TD. And of course there would have been people bitching if we went for the three, saying Tomlin lives in his fears.
    I am one of the few who has no problem with aggressive play calling and going for 2 when we score a touchdown or even going for the touchdown against Leaveland. I would much rather we play aggressive than to kick a Long field goal when we are down 2 scores and time running out in the 4th quarter. Yes I know Jones was the QB, but I still want to see us be aggressive rather than conservative. If you play aggressive and lose at least you go down fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    This is why the changing of the old guard to Butler. He is supposed to be trained by LeBeau, yet youthful enough to scheme differently for the situation, so we are not so predictable. We have the new players, the new schemes should be coming in already. I'm losing interest in this mentality that 'if it works once, it will work again'. Coaches are learning how to beat us, even if the play is solid. Young players, new DC, should equal new wrinkles for OCs to figure out. This game is always fluid. Good calls can end up with bad results. I would really love someone that take chances with new ideas on defense. That is how we climb above what Bellichick can prepare for.
    Couldn't agree more. That is the biggest disappointment for me with Butler, I see almost zero innovation. There was a bit with Jones and Timmons swapping in the Cleveland game, Gilbert being deployed to shadow TE's, and then a big fat not another damn thing that I can see. Maybe some mixed coverages to allow Burns to play one on one with other DBs in zone - but c'mon.

Remember when Lebeau roled out that alignment where basically no one put their hand in the dirt? Green Bay copied it and called it the "Amoeba" - can't remember what Steelers called it. Point being, that when they first lined up in that - teams took one look at it and just turned around and called a time out. No one had any idea what they were supposed to do with it.

Or when they used to line about 27 guys up over on tackle-guard gap and dare teams to figure out which combination were actually the rushers. Now, you can always tell who is coming on the rush. Biggest thing to do is to identify which gap they will take to get there. Problem is, only Shazier and Dupree are fast enough to have those loops and twists get home prior to the pass!

I have no idea what the answer is, but I agree with you, do something. Anything to make yourself a bit unexpected.

Last night, Butler and company clearly thought that Tolzien would not make the reads quick enough and be accurate enough to make them pay for the mismatches they accepted in coverage in order to bring pressure. For the most part it worked.
    Sort of like the Tebow game: it worked... until it didn't.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

https://www.facebook.com/Fire-Mike-M...0362632339772/

Well, at least we're not the only ones complaining....

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I feel like I may need this...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

I could win the Ugly Sweater contest at work w/this!

The perfect shirt to raise hell this December

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

This team has looked lost at times this season. Coach has stayed his course and these guys are playing their best football at the right time. Good job Coach!

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Moved WAY TOO far down the board.

A voice of reason by Bob......in print.

Another installment of Bob Labriola answering your questions about the Steelers and the NFL.
    Let’s get to it:

GARY JONES FROM SPARTANBURG, SC:
    Based on how well the last few weeks have gone for the Steelers, is it reasonable to say that the last three, four drafts have been quite successful in retooling the talent pool, especially on defense? And that all the criticism of Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin was highly unwarranted?

ANSWER: Whoa. Injecting reason into this is against the rules of engagement. I’m sure you’ll be getting a letter from the Commissioner informing you of your punishment for that egregious offense.

http://www.steelers.com/news/asked-a...b-55a4526a2b6d

At this point the cowhers team argument doesn't fly at this point. The team is comprised now almost entirely of his players and they have won more games than they lost and have handled a lot of adversity the past 3 years.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Couldn't help yourself could you?

The bell ringer

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Couldn't help yourself could you?

I saw that as well on Mark Kaboly's twitter page. I mean Terry is entitled to his opinion. And SOME of the things he said are correct. I too think Tomlin likes to be one of the Boyz!!....More then being a disciplined Head Coach. And he certainly has a long track record of not winning easy games over the years, and some bad clock/time out managing. But even with all that, he still is a good Coach.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Terry Bradshaw not a huge fan of Steelers' Mike Tomlin: 'He's a cheerleader guy'

by December 23, 2016

Terry Bradshaw unleashed some harsh criticism of the Steelers coach Friday.

We have some Steeler-on-Steeler crime here.

Former Pittsburgh quarterback and Pro Football Hall of Famer Terry Bradshaw, never one to shy away from an opportunity to speak his mind, was a guest Friday on Fox Sports 1's "Speak For Yourself." There he was asked whether current Pittsburgh coach Mike Tomlin still needs to prove himself as a great coach.

Bradshaw was rather frank in his response.

"I don't think he's a great coach at all," Bradshaw said. "He's a nice coach. He's really a great cheerleader guy. I don't know what he does, but I don't think he's a great coach at all.

"His name never even pops in my mind when we think about great coaches in the NFL."

Ouch.

to read rest of article:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news...l1nc776afqnv09

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Well, seeing how Bradshaw had the privilege of playing for one of the best coaches in NFL history and yet still has never done anything but diss Noll whenever he's brought up, his opinion of Tomlin is not really that surprising.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Terry Bradshaw not a huge fan of Steelers' Mike Tomlin: 'He's a cheerleader guy'

by December 23, 2016

Terry Bradshaw unleashed some harsh criticism of the Steelers coach Friday.

We have some Steeler-on-Steeler crime here.

Former Pittsburgh quarterback and Pro Football Hall of Famer Terry Bradshaw, never one to shy away from an opportunity to speak his mind, was a guest Friday on Fox Sports 1's "Speak For Yourself." There he was asked whether current Pittsburgh coach Mike Tomlin still needs to prove himself as a great coach.

Bradshaw was rather frank in his response.

"I don't think he's a great coach at all," Bradshaw said. "He's a nice coach. He's really a great cheerleader guy. I don't know what he does, but I don't think he's a great coach at all.

"His name never even pops in my mind when we think about great coaches in the NFL."

Ouch.

to read rest of article:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news...l1nc776afqnv09

If only Terry had the perspective to see the irony of what he is saying.

He hated Chuck Noll for being hard on him and the way he was treated by him. He didn't like the way he was talked to by the coach, or the way he was criticized for poor play.

He had the best offensive line in football, handed the ball off to some of the best running backs ever, had two of the best wide receivers in the history of the NFL.....maybe the best pair ever, had the greatest defense ever..............and hated being judged and criticized by others.

Yet here he is all these years later........making millions of dollars criticizing other people.........including the current coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers...........for being more of what he probably hoped Noll would have been while he was the quarterback of the same franchise.

Life is stranger than fiction.