Page 45 of 75 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 2224

Thread: FIRE MIKE TOMLIN!!

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Re: FIRE MIKE TOMLIN!!

Mainstream national media (as opposed to clickbait commentators such as Cowherd) starting to turn on Tomlin?

This from Peter King in his FMIA column this morning

WHAT?! “Flow of game?” That is nonsensical.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...14-peter-king/

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Who is in charge of the scouting dept for the defense - especially the DBs and LBs.

Talk about failures.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Who is in charge of the scouting dept for the defense - especially the DBs and LBs.

Talk about failures.
    Probably the same folks who recurringly hit the jackpot with WRs

Senior Member Array title="SteeleReign is a name known to all">

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Probably the same folks who recurringly hit the jackpot with WRs
    Well, then I suppose we're left to the coaching. If we assume that the Steelers draft process/evaluation for DBs is effective because it's been successful for WRs, then what is happening between the end of April and the beginning of September to cause such a decline in performance from the secondary?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    the Rooneys don't fire head coaches.

but some assistant coaches are definitely going to be...
    I think this is accurate. Tomlin will stay, but he'll probably see a Rooney move like Noll saw late in his career. Then again, of the three coordinators, I wouldn't mind seeing Fichtner stay around another year. He put together some great game plans. Some others stunk. Give him an offseason to work that out and I think he comes back ready to go. I was willing to give Butler this season after Shazier's injury. However, he's done as far as I'm concerned. When I saw safeties 20 yards off the LOS in the closing minutes when we were trying to protect a lead and it was 3rd and 8 or something like that? Just no. We have a CB who can't play zone. We have a zone defense that can't stop the pass. So why are we continuing to play zone? Bring Burns on and stick him on the other teams second-best receiver all game. No, I think it's time to fire the Butler.

Special teams? Please. Hitch a wagon to a mule and toss his stuff on it and strap Bozwell to the back as well.

Oline coach? He's the bright spot. We keep him right where he is to rebuild this line as it begins to break up over the next few years.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

I'll just say this. You know you're bad when you get outcoached by Jon Gruden.

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Deer in the headlights.

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post
    Deer in the headlights.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Deer in the headlights.

Would be perfect if there was a reflection of oncoming headlines instead of the field.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

"Mike Tomlin outcoached <Fill in the Blank> today" - said no one ever

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Deer in the headlights.

So that's why he wears his cool shades

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    You can win a lot of football games with Fichtner calling the offense. What the team really needs is to hire an actual QB coach. That will help let the OC just call the darn plays and then have someone on the sideline to assist with that and go through things with Ben and the other QBs. Every time Ben has a game where he just stops seeing defenders or the back-ups have to play the lack of a dedicated person in this role drives me up a wall.

Butler, Porter, and Bradley just need to go. Clean sweep. The new DL guy can stay.
    I would support that if Tomlin wanted to go that route. I would hang onto Bradley and consider him as a DC candidate. He hasnt done great with the DBs but that could be because there just isn't talent there. We've seen a nice improvement in Hilton's play but Burns and the rest...just may not have the ability to be any better. His Penn State Defenses were ranked fairly well over the years in Total Yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

they need a new scouting department too not just a bunch of Colberts family ....

we need Corners and we have not drafted a good one since ......since .........since ........ Jesus its been that long !!!!

Ike Taylor ................. 2003 .....

since then they have drafted a ton of body's but only a few decent players ( no GOOD ones ) ..

Ricardo Colclough 2nd round ....a lot of draft stock squandered
    Bryant McFadden 2nd round.... decent corner
    William Gay 5th round ..... streaky corner sucked was good and then sucked again
    Keenan Lewis 3rd round .....we got about 10 good games from him
    Joe Burnett 5th round .....some hype but nothing but smoke and mirrors
    Crezdon Butler 5th round ..... showed a few flashed and fizzled quickly
    Cortez Allen 4th round..... fooled us long enough to get paid and has not been seen since
    Curtis Brown 3rd round ....never showed a thing
    Terrance Fredrick 7th round ... dud
    Terry hawthorn 5th round.....dud
    Shaq Richardson 5th round ... dud
    Doran Grant 4th round .... dud
    Senquez Golson 2nd round .... a lot of draft stock squandered
    Artie Burns 1st round .... a lot of draft stock squandered
    Brian Allen 5th round.... ??? probably a dud
    Cameron Sutton 3rd round .... smart kid knows what to do but hasn't put it on tape yet

seems to me that many selections spent you should develop more than what we have managed from it ..... it all starts with scouting and then development via coaching we have not done well at either
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

they need a new scouting department too not just a bunch of Colberts family ....

we need Corners and we have not drafted a good one since ......since .........since ........ Jesus its been that long !!!!

since then they have drafted a ton of body's but only a few decent players ( no GOOD ones ) ..

Ricardo Colclough 2nd round
    Bryant McFadden 2nd round
    William Gay 5th round
    Keenan Lewis 3rd round
    Joe Burnett 5th round
    Crezdon Butler 5th round
    Cortez Allen 4th round
    Curtis Brown 3rd round
    Terrance Fredrick 7th round
    Terry hawthorn 5th round
    Shaq Richardson 5th round
    Doran Grant 4th round
    Senquez Golson 2nd round
    Artie Burns 1st round
    Brian Allen 5th round
    Cameron Sutton 3rd round

seems to me that many selections spent you should develop more than what we have managed from it ..... it all starts with scouting and then development via coaching we have not done well at either
    Looking at that list, they got exactly what they went looking for (or for the most part they did):

1. Zone focused CBs
    2. Good tacklers that were willing in run support and blitzes off the edge.
    3. CBs focused on keeping the play in front of them
    4. Guys that lack ball skills and good movement skills because they were drafted well outside the first round.

The few guys they tried to break that "plan" with (Sutton, Golson, Allen, Burns) have either not panned out, got hurt, or they did stupid things -- like taking a press man cover guy in Burns and telling him to play zone/read stuff.

I agree the plan was bad and not effective. But in a certain sense, the Scouting Department gave the team exactly what it asked for.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Mainstream national media (as opposed to clickbait commentators such as Cowherd) starting to turn on Tomlin?

This from Peter King in his FMIA column this morning

[I]WHAT?! “Flow of game?” That is nonsensical.
    the way the game was flowing while Dobbs was playing should have made Tomlin want to put Ben back in as soon as the doctors had cleared him...

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Looking at that list, they got exactly what they went looking for (or for the most part they did):

1. Zone focused CBs
    2. Good tacklers that were willing in run support and blitzes off the edge.
    3. CBs focused on keeping the play in front of them
    4. Guys that lack ball skills and good movement skills because they were drafted well outside the first round.

The few guys they tried to break that "plan" with (Sutton, Golson, Allen, Burns) have either not panned out, got hurt, or they did stupid things -- like taking a press man cover guy in Burns and telling him to play zone/read stuff.

I agree the plan was bad and not effective. But in a certain sense, the Scouting Department gave the team exactly what it asked for.
    I guess we have a different opinion of what is " well outside of the 1st round " there is THREE 2nd round picks on that list and a 1st rounder ...three 3rd rounders ... these are not trash selections points ( even though they where trash selections )

also a pair of 4th rounders ( which by the way is the same round Ike Taylor came from the original example in my post )

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Apparently Tomlin was enamored with that one throw from Dobbs a few weeks back.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I guess we have a different opinion of what is " well outside of the 1st round " there is THREE 2nd round picks on that list and a 1st rounder ...three 3rd rounders ... these are not trash selections points ( even though they where trash selections )

also a pair of 4th rounders ( which by the way is the same round Ike Taylor came from the original example in my post )
    We can quibble over the math and prioritization of the rounds all night. But the bottom line is the Steelers have requested a certain trait list for CB for years. They scouting department and draft trigger pullers have largely provided that "type" of CB in a quantity over quality model -- which is basically what the defense long prioritized.

Only in the last few years have the Steelers attempted a dedicated deviation from that model. For much of the last 20+ years they have looked for sound tackling zone guys (William Gay and McFadden) with the occasional dart throw on a more man capable guy (Coclough, Taylor, Allen).

I don't think getting bad CBs in rounds 5-7 should shock anyone. What is the hit rate on that league wide? I bet shockingly low.
    Looking at the 1st and 2nd round picks, they did alright. About an even split between exactly what they thought they were and "busts".

My point is that I don't think the defensive staff has a clear vision of what they want to do at CB. This leads to the uneven draft selections and play of the past 3 seasons.

ehh I disagree and think thats to broad a brush statement but not going to argue semantics ... bottom line is they spent quality selection points in the first 3 rounds 7 times since Ike Taylor and didnt hit one out of the park , hell not sure I would give them anything more than 1 double and a single .... for the 7

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    the Rooneys don't fire head coaches.
    I know, and at this juncture, that's part of the problem. Obviously.

Tomlin is arrogant and that's a big part of the problem, as well.
    Last edited by Lady Steel; 12-10-2018 at 10:01 PM.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    That is all.
    Co signed.

- - - Updated - - -

William Gay 5th round ..... streaky corner sucked was good and then sucked again
    Cortez Allen 4th round..... fooled us long enough to get paid and has not been seen since
    Cameron Sutton 3rd round .... smart kid knows what to do but hasn't put it on tape yet

Lewis was a good player. Tomlin didn't like him.

Senior Member Array title="SteeleReign is a name known to all">

And all of this under the auspices of a former DB coach and DC, Mike Tomlin.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Lewis was a good player. Tomlin didn't like him.
    Maybe - but that was another example of LeBeau not letting younger players start while their rookie contracts ran out

Lewis was drafted in 2009 but was not a full time starter until the final year of his contract in 2012 - when he was able to show his skills in 2012 the Steelers lost out to the Saints in signing him

This from an early 2013 story when Lewis hit free agency

Coming off a restricted free agent tender of $1.26 million from the Pittsburgh Steelers last offseason, Lewis was able to establish himself as a bonafide starting cornerback in the NFL and hopes that the compensation he receives in his next contract will pay him accordingly.

Entering last season, Lewis was not interested in receiving long-term contract offers because he was being primarily used as a nickel-back corner. Fully aware that this would decrease his value, Lewis focused on improving his game to earn more responsibility, as well as a regular role in the starting lineup.

After starting all 16 games in 2012, Lewis was able to solidify a role in the starting lineup and hopes his work will earn him the salary he hoped for

https://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/pitt...-agency-rumors

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post
    I know, and at this juncture, that's part of the problem. Obviously.

Tomlin is arrogant and that's a big part of the problem, as well.
    such is the nature of the national football league. we accept responsibility and the noise that comes with it
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smokin3000gt View Post
    such is the nature of the national football league. we accept responsibility and the noise that comes with it

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Bump…

Maybe Canada goes now or everyone goes at seasons end??

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Tomlin don't know the rule for a catch?

Nobody on the staff says to challenge it?? No one?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN!!

Ha ha. Doesn’t think there’s a problem on offense other than penalties.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

The eagles do what they want in this game....4 TD on 6 drives.....