Page 2 of 75 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: FIRE MIKE TOMLIN!!

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Re: FIRE MIKE TOMLIN!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I have pointed out the 15 yard penalties multiple times - maybe not on this thread. But I ask you what is Tomlin to do? Multiple facemasks and taunting penalties are not coaching deficiencies. That is on an individual player to do his job properly.

Also do to the lack of talent depth on the roster, as I mentioned elsewhere, Tomlin can not do anything in game. Gonna sit Allen so BW Webb can play? Gonna sit Heyward so Cam Thomas plays more? Going to sit Beachum so Mike Adams can get Ben killed?

Everyone is reacting like this was a championship caliber team that got beat today. This is an AVERAGE NFL team that got beat by another AVERAGE NFL team. Not very shocking.

Now they lose to Jacksonville, and make room on the fire everybody train for me!
    I'll save you a seat and newspaper.

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

What's Tomlin to do? He's the head coach. It's his job to make sure the players do their job properly and if they don't, it's his job to make the necessary adjustments or punishments. I'm not complaining about personnel. I'm complaining about his lack of discipline, his lack of preparation, his lack of clock management skills, the shitty play calling on both sides of the ball...that's all coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vader29 View Post
    Wonder what he thinks of Tomlin?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I'll save you a seat and newspaper.
    Lol. Gonna need to add more cars to that train...

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    What's Tomlin to do? He's the head coach. It's his job to make sure the players do their job properly and if they don't, it's his job to make the necessary adjustments or punishments. I'm not complaining about personnel. I'm complaining about his lack of discipline, his lack of preparation, his lack of clock management skills, the shitty play calling on both sides of the ball...that's all coaching.

…….and all done in arrogance.

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

I have a question for everyone. How exactly is Art getting in the way of things? I'm not trying to argue with anyone, but I want to see what everyone's opinions are. I mean, other than telling the media he would like the Steelers to resign Ben, saying he would like to see the team run better (which they are), and the possibility of being involved with Arians leaving, what else has he done?

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post
    I have a question for everyone. How exactly is Art getting in the way of things? I'm not trying to argue with anyone, but I want to see what everyone's opinions are. I mean, other than telling the media he would like the Steelers to resign Ben, saying he would like to see the team run better (which they are), and the possibility of being involved with Arians leaving, what else has he done?
    It's pretty much a foregone conclusion that he hired Haley as well. But the comparisons with Jerry Jones are ludicrous.

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post
    He also "neutered" Ben. Let's face it, while he hasn't been taking as much punishment as he has in the past, he doesn't have the same "mojo" he once had. When he's out there doing his thing, he is at his best, and why they continue to try to rein him in is beyond me. Ben is a playmaker. Let him make plays. It's almost as if Art II has a disdain for franchise QBs.

To me, it's not a coincidence that once he took over control of the team and started meddling in the football ops, it's been a consistent slide down shit mountain. As much heat as Tomlin and Colbert are rightfully taking, he should not escape blame himself.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Tomlin can not make William Gay and Cortez Allen better cornerbacks. That is the single biggest reason this team lost today. Tampa's outside receivers beat their man (whoever it was) like a drum all day long.
    Then instead of drafting another lber hr should have spoke up and draftsman damn corners. We have been praying Ike would find the fountain of youth.
    Merry Christmas

Banned Array title="jb500ex will become famous soon enough">

Don't worry Tomlin will get real tough this week , no pool or ping pong for rookies that will fix the problem

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Hard to fire the owner.
    yes it is!

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Exactly ! Stupid penalties all day long ! We gave them yard's equal to a complete football field ! Are you FK'N kidding me ?! And how aggravating it was to sit and watch that damn Tomlin's face on the sidelines ! Cowher would have had a 5 gal bucket full of spit by 3rd qtr.. Rooney's wake the FK up, your family's franchise and history is slowly being destroyed.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

So the solution to the problem is to get inches from a players face and yell and spit at them? I hadn't realized that this made more talented and mentally disciplined players.

And to think all that time wasted on the practice field and the weight room.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

So the solution to the problem is to get inches from a players face and yell and spit at them? I hadn't realized that this made more talented and mentally disciplined players.
    Yeah, it sure stopped Porter from getting ejected from a game for getting into a fight with a Browns player during pregame warmups...

It sure stopped Burress from spiking the ball in the field of play and turning it over after catching what would have been a sure TD pass...

It sure stopped the team as a whole from consistently coming up small in the biggest of games...

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Yeah, it sure stopped Porter from getting ejected from a game for getting into a fight with a Browns player during pregame warmups...

It sure stopped Burress from spiking the ball in the field of play and turning it over after catching what would have been a sure TD pass...

It sure stopped the team as a whole from consistently coming up small in the biggest of games...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Didn't Deon Figures get thrown out of a playoff game for kicking a Chiefs player in the skull?

Didn't O'donnell and his WR's make the wrong reads and cause multiple horrendous INTs in the SB?

Just wanted to get in on the fun...

Are you fk'n kidding me Mojouw ? That's all you took from that thread ? LOL Yea, the solution must be the spitting....LOL

Didn't Deon Figures get thrown out of a playoff game for kicking a Chiefs player in the skull?

Didn't O'donnell and his WR's make the wrong reads and cause multiple horrendous INTs in the SB?

Just wanted to get in on the fun...
    I'm not thrilled with Tomlin either, but I am getting really tired of the overly-romanticized revisionist history that is being played with Cowher's tenure.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Are you fk'n kidding me Mojouw ? That's all you took from that thread ? LOL Yea, the solution must be the spitting....LOL
    It's about the only tangible action that has been proposed. I personally think Tomlin should bench Alllen, much like was done with Taylor by a certain spitting coach. However, as I have pointed out -- who plays then? I would also look at benching Beachum and Wallace -- but who plays then?

No one wants to talk about that. Just easier to say that Tomlin and co. are lazy, call a bad game, etc. Allows everyone to deny the fact that this is an average team in the midst of a significant rebuild.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not thrilled with Tomlin either, but I am getting really tired of the overly-romanticized revisionist history that is being played with Cowher's tenure.
    I agree. Here is some actual data:

"In 2000 Bill Cowher was in his eighth year as head coach of the Steelers, having succeeded legendary coach Chuck Noll in 1992. By this time Cowher had compiled a record of 86-57 (.597 winning percentage) and had led the Steelers to playoff appearances in his first six years and one lost Super Bowl, although in the three years prior to the arrival of Colbert, from 1998 through 2000, Cowher struggled with two losing seasons in a row while finishing 9-7 in 2000 and compiling a 22-26 record and failed to make the playoffs all three years. By comparison, Mike Tomlin in his first six years after having succeeded Cowher in 2007 has compiled a record of 63-33 (.656 winning percentage) and has been to two Super Bowls, winning one and has not had a losing season, but has failed to make the playoffs twice."

Thanks Mojouw for the comparison stats. I'm just getting tired of this losing to teams we should be beating (especially at home). And then hearing nothing but lame excuses from the coaches the next day. These losses are what makes/breaks seasons and play offs chances.

Thanks Mojouw for the comparison stats. I'm just getting tired of this losing to teams we should be beating (especially at home). And then hearing nothing but lame excuses from the coaches the next day. These losses are what makes/breaks seasons and play offs chances.
    I would agree. This loss could mean the difference between being the second wild card at 9-7 or 10-6 and sitting at home at 8-8 again (or even 9-7 for that matter!).

I really do understand that. I also get that some amount of the players on the field performance, or lack thereof has to reflect back on the coaching staff.

But I argue that I am not sure this team is that much better than 9-7 with anyone coaching it. Also, we need to acknowledge the good things this staff did on Sunday. Such as:

1. Integrated 3 new starters to the defense (Moats, Spence, and whatever dirtball was playing nickle corner) in one week. Not easy.

2. Seems to have a knack for developing WRs. Wheaton is really stepping up.

3. Got Gilbert to pull his head out of his ass and play somewhere in the neighborhood of his contract/potential.

4. Have Pouncey and DeCastro playing as a devastating run-blocking combination.

5. Have "fixed" the DL issues (not sure if that was because the Bucs threw for over 300+ yards...). Have Thomas even contributing.

6. Over the course of last season and this off-season have pulled a lethal run game out of their asses.

I get that the penalties are frustrating. I get that some don't like this coaching staff's demeanor and press conference style, but they aren't just sitting around doing nothing.

I think the coaches are 'doing' things, but also NOT doing things. Just looking at the tampa game, why in the hell wouldn't you let Ben throw the ball at the end of the game when it was 3rd and 5 with 40+ seconds left to win the game ? Why would you run a delay and end up losing 2 yds? That was a really bad call. You and I know Ben could have picked that up with a couple pass plays against tampa and at least run a couple plays to eat up 40 seconds before having to punt. And it's the coaches fault to put up with these penalties that are game killers ! Taunting ? Dancing in the endzone ? Come on. You're a player that is caught smoking dobbies I don' think drawing attention to yourself is a good idea. Act like a professional. Face mask penalties. Unnecessary roughness. These were stupid ass penalties that should be dealt with immediately. And we both know that it wasn't just the tampa game, it's been going on in too many games. And Tomilin is doing nothing about it, just lip service come Monday mornings. No more excuses.

I think the coaches are 'doing' things, but also NOT doing things. Just looking at the tampa game, why in the hell wouldn't you let Ben throw the ball at the end of the game when it was 3rd and 5 with 40+ seconds left to win the game ? Why would you run a delay and end up losing 2 yds? That was a really bad call. You and I know Ben could have picked that up with a couple pass plays against tampa and at least run a couple plays to eat up 40 seconds before having to punt. And it's the coaches fault to put up with these penalties that are game killers ! Taunting ? Dancing in the endzone ? Come on. You're a player that is caught smoking dobbies I don' think drawing attention to yourself is a good idea. Act like a professional. Face mask penalties. Unnecessary roughness. These were stupid ass penalties that should be dealt with immediately. And we both know that it wasn't just the tampa game, it's been going on in too many games. And Tomilin is doing nothing about it, just lip service come Monday mornings. No more excuses.
    Agree with the offensive play calling on the last drive. Marred an otherwise good game plan by Haley.

As to the penalties -- see this database.

http://www.nflpenalties.com/

Prior to this season the Steelers have been one of the least penalized teams in the league. This season, they are in some good company.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Again, just out of curiosity, how many of yesterday's penalties were actually "non penalties". Like Troy and Mike Mitchells were in the Ravens game that cost us 30 yards but not fined.

Really...what does Cowher have to do with Tomlin's inability to coach the basics?

Quote Originally Posted by jb500ex View Post
    Don't worry Tomlin will get real tough this week , no pool or ping pong for rookies that will fix the problem

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Really...what does Cowher have to do with Tomlin's inability to coach the basics?
    Exactly

Here's a great example. When was the last time Le'Veon Bell got a taunting penalty at Michigan State? I'll give you a hint… Never!