Thread: No fines for Steelers' Mitchell and Polamalu

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

No fines for Steelers' Mitchell and Polamalu

This is one time safety Mike Mitchell did not get fined for a big hit on the playing field, but he still vows to do something about it to ward off future fines.

Add Mitchell to the list of NFL defenders who say they will change their approach to tackling because of the penalties and fines associated with high hits, even when they are legal.

Mitchell, who was fined $40,000 for various infractions last season in Carolina, says he will now shoot for his opponent’s knees when making a tackle. Even though that would seem to carry a bigger risk of career-ending injury to the player with the ball, it is not illegal. Hits to the head are.
    “It’s going to make me start hitting everyone in the knees, to be totally honest with you,’’ Mitchell said, after he was penalized for hitting receiver Steve Smith high in the Steelers’ 26-6 loss at Baltimore.

“It’s not a thing where I am trying to play dirty, but I was legitimately aiming for Steve’s waist and he ducked. If you look at the replay, I still truly, strongly believe it was a shoulder to shoulder hit. I think the violence of the hit may be why the flag was thrown.”............

read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201409180294

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

Re: No fines for Steelers' Mitchell and Polamalu

This league has become such a pansy ass league. I'm not saying Mitchell has become one, I understand where he's coming from. He wants to keep his money and not cause penalties for the team.

The hit WAS shoulder to shoulder. The fact that a flag was thrown because it was a bone crushing hit is absolute bullshit.

I am waiting for the league to announce that they're going to two hand touch.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    “It’s going to make me start hitting everyone in the knees, to be totally honest with you,’’ Mitchell said, after he was penalized for hitting receiver Steve Smith high in the Steelers’ 26-6 loss at Baltimore.

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vader29 View Post
    Yep. First time he takes a guy out by the knees and that guy is announced out for any length of time than a few plays, he's gonna get fined for some type of bullshit.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vader29 View Post
    Goodell has much bigger things to worry about at the moment. Particularly, his continued employment with the league. Notice how he's been basically invisible for the last week?

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Goodell has much bigger things to worry about at the moment. Particularly, his continued employment with the league. Notice how he's been basically invisible for the last week?

Yes a guy who fines players for having the wrong *game day socks* on , but didn't see the Ray Rice video.

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

both hits where legal, so was upshaws hit on Ben what doesnt help things is Phil Effing simms going off about of that was a helmet to helmet hit and he sees it in slow mo like everyone at home. Then that gets the guys at half or after the game spouting about it

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsdancefloor View Post
    both hits where legal, so was upshaws hit on Ben what doesnt help things is Phil Effing simms going off about of that was a helmet to helmet hit and he sees it in slow mo like everyone at home. Then that gets the guys at half or after the game spouting about it
    The announcers are really doing a disservice to the players and fans when they don't call it how it really is. Call it a head shot and when they show the slo mo call it right. Average fans think the announcers are experts and everything they say is god given truth, similar to the MSM.
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I was going to come in and say something about the announcers' reaction, but glad to see I'm not the only one who's irritated by that. Having those boneheads shouting "Good penalty! That's a good call by the official!" every time someone gets hit hard just reinforces it to all the people who don't know any better, and they lemming right along.

Like ... no, dude. That was a hit in the shoulder and it just LOOKED bad because the guy got laid out. Or it was a hit in the chest and whatever twist or turn at the last millisecond made them bonk heads. Don't cheerlead the penalties that are making your own game unwatchable.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Dwinsgames

haha Goodell will not institute fines vs the Giants or our beloved Steelers unless extremely clear intent was there because of whom is handling the investigation against him , he will not want to add any blood to the already clouded waters

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    The announcers are really doing a disservice to the players and fans when they don't call it how it really is. Call it a head shot and when they show the slo mo call it right. Average fans think the announcers are experts and everything they say is god given truth, similar to the MSM.
    Most of the current announcers for the NFL just plain suck.