View Poll Results: Wh'os the better had coach?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mike Tomlin

8 22.86%
  • Bruce Arians

19 54.29%
  • Ken Whisenhunt

2 5.71%
  • All relatively equal. Dependent on roster talent who's best at any given moment.

6 17.14%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Bruce Arians a better head coach than Mike Tomlin?

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Re: Is Bruce Arians a better head coach than Mike Tomlin?

Ok , so pretty much we can replace Tomlin with a random word generator at this point. Response to ? about tackling

“Often times is about a plan or an approach and having a hard-core plan and recognizing the positions that your position puts you in, the manner which you approach the ball from a variety of positions on the field and having a plan to execute fundamental tackling accordingly,” said Tomlin. “I think the more that you play, the more you are in positions on footballs and you are approaching the ball inside out, you learn to maintain that consistency, or you learn to chew up the free grass associated with a guy who has to cover great distances. All of those things can be done in a practice setting without actually tackling, and we have been emphasizing that. We’ll continue and we’ll expect the tackling to improve because of it.

“It’s just about improving on a day to day basis and some fundamental things individually and collectively.”
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    Ok , so pretty much we can replace Tomlin with a random word generator at this point. Response to ? about tackling

“Often times is about a plan or an approach and having a hard-core plan and recognizing the positions that your position puts you in, the manner which you approach the ball from a variety of positions on the field and having a plan to execute fundamental tackling accordingly,” said Tomlin. “I think the more that you play, the more you are in positions on footballs and you are approaching the ball inside out, you learn to maintain that consistency, or you learn to chew up the free grass associated with a guy who has to cover great distances. All of those things can be done in a practice setting without actually tackling, and we have been emphasizing that. We’ll continue and we’ll expect the tackling to improve because of it.

“It’s just about improving on a day to day basis and some fundamental things individually and collectively.”
    Absolutely made my day!

"With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

I want to change my vote. ( I voted for Tomlin.) Damn beats San Fran with a back up qb. I also thought he handled the Dwyer situation about as well as you could handle it. So it's no knock on Tomlin if you think Bruce is the better head coach. Because right now there aint a whole lot of guys you'd put before him.

And yes you can color me surprised that he's this good.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Meh, he's winning with Whisenhunt's team.

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Cards are looking pretty good right now aren't they.

I didn't want him to leave in the first place, particularly seeing what we replaced him with. but could understand why some did. Glad that BA is doing so well. How ever, I watched Chuck struggle, I watched Bill struggle, and not ready to give up on Mike because we are struggling right now.

AML

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    OK, "muncher."

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    I want to change my vote. ( I voted for Tomlin.) Damn beats San Fran with a back up qb. I also thought he handled the Dwyer situation about as well as you could handle it. So it's no knock on Tomlin if you think Bruce is the better head coach. Because right now there aint a whole lot of guys you'd put before him.

And yes you can color me surprised that he's this good.
    And then Mike turns around and does the same thing despite Gilbert sucking ass as usual, Todd Haley sucking ass as usual, and 3 players injured on defense.

At any rate, at least this win keeps the vultures from circling over Tomlin's head for a week.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    At any rate, at least this win keeps the vultures from circling over Tomlin's head for a week.
    I'm hoping it keeps two trolls in particular at bay for the next week, at least.

Senior Member Array title="Lambert_Loonie will become famous soon enough"> Lambert_Loonie's Avatar

35 minutes north of the hellhole that is Paul Brown Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    And there's a good portion of Steelers on that team...

Good Lord, Arians is winning with Cowher's & Tomlin's players and he's not even coaching the Steelers. :P

You don't have to agree with me, but I do recomend it.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

How about who's a better NFL head coach, Mike Tomlin or Barry Switzer?

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

I think we would have done better with Wiz and Russ Grimm, but would have missed two out of the three biggest plays in Super Bowl history as the Cards would have never gone.
    All Defense!

Instead of driving him out of town, perhaps #Steelers should have made Bruce Arians the Head Coach
    https://twitter.com/WilliamsonNFL

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    How about who's a better NFL head coach, Mike Tomlin or Barry Switzer?
    Same difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Arians beats the teams he's supposed to beat virtually every time. You do that and you're always in the hunt.

Anyone forget to vote?

9-1 with a team with many injuries(Palmer,Dockett,etc)

Unbelievable!!!!

He is now 28-10 as HC

Dwinsgames

to answer the question in the OP ... it sure as hell looks like it

Definitely think Arians has found his true calling. Much better head coach than offensive coordinator

Definitely think Arians has found his true calling. Much better head coach than offensive coordinator
    But he is also the OC in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    But he is also the OC in Arizona
    No he isn't. Harold Goldwin is their OC, just looked it up. Apparently he was hired by Steelers in 07 (don't remember him) and he has followed Arians everywhere he went

No he isn't. Harold Goldwin is their OC, just looked it up. Apparently he was hired by Steelers in 07 (don't remember him) and he has followed Arians everywhere he went
    But it's Arians who call the plays

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

I think becoming a good nfl coach is like becoming a good nfl player....it takes time....a lot more time to develop as a coach than a player in fact.

Tomlin is still one of the youngest headcoaches in the NFL.

I will give him another year or two to get his head in the game and grow a set.

I do however feel a lot of the apathy that has been evident to me the last few years and shitty performances against shitty teams is largely on Tomlin.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

It's all about putting a hat on a hat and defending every blade of grass. You are what your record says you are. BA is better, he has an ax to grind and was not gifted anything.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    It's all about putting a hat on a hat and defending every blade of grass. You are what your record says you are. BA is better, he has an ax to grind and was not gifted anything.
    He was "gifted" one of the best defenses in football. Not saying that Arians hasn't proven to be a hell of a coach, but that Arizona team had a ton of talent on the defensive side of the ball even before Arians took over and helped improve it.

Figured that they would be fine on offense. Arians made Kelly Holcomb a 4,000 yard passer!

Senior Member Array title="The Bark is a jewel in the rough"> The Bark's Avatar

At halftime of this Titans game, I'm just about ready to give up watching the Steelers period until Tomlin is gone. I'm that f'n disgusted with his coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    I think becoming a good nfl coach is like becoming a good nfl player....it takes time....a lot more time to develop as a coach than a player in fact.

I do however feel a lot of the apathy that has been evident to me the last few years and shitty performances against shitty teams is largely on Tomlin.

He's young and stupid and incompetent.

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post

He's had 8 years to grow a set. Time to pull the plug on him

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    He's young and stupid and incompetent.
    So who do you blame for the 4 turnovers on offense last week and only 6 points on offense tonight?

Tomlin?