Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ravens terminate Ray Rice

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Re: Ravens terminate Ray Rice

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    Say it aint so!!!

Senior Member Array title="JayC is a glorious beacon of light"> JayC's Avatar

fire goodell! (only happens in my dreams)

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Rog should have asked for them and destroyed them. Now there's a new idea!

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

Roger Goodell fucked up. But then again, what else is new?

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

You know what pisses me off about the whole thing....the fact that everyone knew he punched her and knocked her out prior to this video. That was obvious from the footage outside of the elevator. So whats different know that you can see it with your own eyes?

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I'm thoroughly confused. What, exactly, is new information here? We saw video months ago of him dragging her out. All this shows is him actually swinging. There's nothing new here, but everyone's freaking out. I mean, a few days ago people were complaining that the NFL and Goodell were reacting to media. Now, we get media of the actual hit, and everyone's all freaking out.

How, exactly, is that not reacting to the media?

Don't get me wrong, the act itself is sickening. What I'm talking about now is the idea that "If we see it, it all of sudden is so much worse." And on that, I think it's hypocritical of Goodell, the Ravens,and anyone else who is making a bigger deal of it now than when it first happened.
    The big deal here is the obvious obfuscation and cover up by the NFL and the bold faced lying they did about not seeing the actual footage of Rice punching her a lot sooner. Up until now, the narrative was that there was a "minor physical altercation" inside the elevator (per Rice's attorney). The league ran with that narrative and the footage of him dragging her out of the elevator in determining Rice's suspension, supposedly without knowledge of what really happened in the elevator which was actually a hell of a lot more than a "minor altercation." See the problem now?

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Ravens, NFL easily could have gotten Ray Rice video

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ay-rice-video/

He would have probably destroyed that tape like he did with the cheats.

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hindes204 View Post
    You know what pisses me off about the whole thing....the fact that everyone knew he punched her and knocked her out prior to this video. That was obvious from the footage outside of the elevator. So whats different know that you can see it with your own eyes?
    Yep, which is why - again - he should have had the book thrown at him by the league back then. It's not like this is rocket science - it was a classic stone-cold, lead-pipe, open-and-shut case. And if it turns out that the league did, in fact, turn a blind eye to this "new" video, then an already horrible situation has been made even worse, because either they chose to ignore it, or they didn't do their due diligence. Either way, heads need to roll for this.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

WOW...Maybe Goodell will be fired...

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    Goodell has always made decisions based on what the media thinks, from "Concussion Sunday" to this major league fuck-up, because he has no mind of his own, nor a set of testicles. So this doesn't surprise me in the least. It's simply par for the course for him.
    Just to add one more to your list........Goodell also came down hard on Ben after the media started creating a storm about how the NFL had not yet punished a white player under the personal conduct policy, and the media began their pushing for Goodell to punish the bigtime white, star QB in the league..........so he then proceeds to suspend Ben for 6 games, even though he was never charged whatsoever.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Ravens, NFL easily could have gotten Ray Rice video

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ay-rice-video/

He would have probably destroyed that tape like he did with the cheats.
    Excellent article asking the critical questions that need to be asked of Rog.

How could the league office not have been curious about viewing a piece of video that was destined to be leaked? Assuming that such basic curiosity existed, how did the league not realize that, despite the lack of subpoena power or similar authority to obtain the tape, they needed to simply go to the man whose lawyer already had the tape?

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

How could the league office not have been curious about viewing a piece of video that was destined to be leaked? Assuming that such basic curiosity existed, how did the league not realize that, despite the lack of subpoena power or similar authority to obtain the tape, they needed to simply go to the man whose lawyer already had the tape?
    What I don't understand is why the league office continues to get the benefit of the doubt that they simply didn't do their due diligence and never saw it. They DID see it, which makes the whole thing 100 times worse.

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    What I don't understand is why the league office continues to get the benefit of the doubt that they simply didn't do their due diligence and never saw it. They DID see it, which makes the whole thing 100 times worse.
    Well basically this article is stating that if the league didn't see the tape it's because they chose to stick their heads in the sand. There is no reason the NFL couldn't have seen the tape. NONE

STEELER NATION RULES ! Array title="katmandu has much to be proud of"> katmandu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    Now let's hope Goofdel gets canned. Will it happen...No, but I sure hope it's the beginning of the end. TMZ can get the video and the NFL can't. Then they send out their goons to say the 2 game suspension was just. Pshh. What a joke the league looks like.

I think Goofdel is on fire, where is the fire brigade???
    I posted a POLL on another forum on this site. Cast your Vote.

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru...038#post444038

- - - Updated - - -

O.J. would be PROUD of this young man!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Rice is a has been. Looked like shit in preseason no doubt. If the Ravens thought there was any tread left on the tire they would have done something along the lines of having a press conference today or tomorrow where they would announce they've mutually decided to give Rice additional time off to get his life in order. Then he would have been reinstated sometime in mid season as a "new man."

But it looks like he's done, so they cut him. They too are phonies.
    He still count's as $5,500,000 against the Ratbird's CAP this year.
    "Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." -- Mark Twain

Support Steelers Universe with a Donation via PayPal !

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru....php?do=donate

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

As I said before I'm not a fan of Olbermann, but he did a good job keeping this issue front and center.

Senior Member Array title="T&B fan has much to be proud of"> T&B fan's Avatar

just a side note . are we to believe that this was the first and only time Ray has hit a woman ... she took the standard defiance of a battered woman , apologizing for her role in the situation . after all what the hell was her head doing getting in the way of his fist .. he loves me and promises he will never do it agen
    we must never forget tell everyone you know New England cheated and might be back at it Edit 1-21-15 there back Edit #2__12-8-19 here we go again Edit #3__ 5-25-23 it never ends

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Shit gettin' real for Uncle Rog...

STEELER NATION RULES ! Array title="katmandu has much to be proud of"> katmandu's Avatar

Shit gettin' real for Uncle Rog...
    Pretty damn serious when the Vice President comments on it. Domestic Violence is no joke. Very sad to see that there are people that actually side with Ray Rice and are doing the VICTIM BLAMING cowardly bullshiiit by blaming his wife. Very delusional, co-dependent people out there.
    "Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." -- Mark Twain

Support Steelers Universe with a Donation via PayPal !

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru....php?do=donate

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

How can someone with no moral fortitude try to implement a personal conduct policy AND try to enforce it?

You get precisely what we have before us. Reaction to media, not integrity and principles.

The shield? Long gone.

The big deal here is the obvious obfuscation and cover up by the NFL and the bold faced lying they did about not seeing the actual footage of Rice punching her a lot sooner. Up until now, the narrative was that there was a "minor physical altercation" inside the elevator (per Rice's attorney). The league ran with that narrative and the footage of him dragging her out of the elevator in determining Rice's suspension, supposedly without knowledge of what really happened in the elevator which was actually a hell of a lot more than a "minor altercation." See the problem now?
    No, actually I don't. That video is EXACTLY what I thought happened. I mean, how else does she get knocked out, and we KNEW that she was knocked out with the last video that was released. Actually, I have to defer to Hindes here, because I think he hits the nail on the head.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindes204 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    Really? Have you not been paying attention ever since this incident happened? A whole lot of people were calling for a harsh suspension based on the initial video. When it didn't happen, the shitstorm got even bigger. And now that this video has been released, which only confirms the reasoning why he should have received a stiff suspension in the first place, people are rightfully calling Goodell to the carpet again for not doing what was right from the beginning. If he does the right thing and gives Rice the harsh suspension that this incident deserved, rather than the ridiculous 2 that he got, there would not be anything close to the reaction there is today.
    But, this video confirms nothing else except that he hit her once and knocked her out. How else do you think she was out cold? That's what has me so utterly confused. There is NOTHING new here, except that we get to see with our own eyes what everyone already knew. And suddenly, that makes it all the worse? It confirms what happened? No way. It was already confirmed with a knocked out fiance being dragged out of the elevator.

The only issue that I can legitmately see coming from this has nothing to do with Rice. If the league office said they didn't have and see the video, and they did, then there's a serious credibility issue. But, since it's not a justice system and the decisions on discipline aren't regulated by law, there's nothing illegal about it. It will, however, give rise again to concerns over the league's quick review and destruction of the Patriots* tapes, or any other kind of decision based on piecemeal evidence.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

The big deal here is that the populace had it right and Goodell and the boys had it wrong. The video is a collective raising of the middle finger to Goodell and his idiotic suspension of 2 games.

I did not need to see this video to know that Goodell got it wrong. But now this video speaks my piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    The big deal here is that the populace had it right and Goodell and the boys had it wrong. The video is a collective raising of the middle finger to Goodell and his idiotic suspension of 2 games.

I did not need to see this video to know that Goodell got it wrong. But now this video speaks my piece.
    So, in fact, nothing has changed, because this video doesn't prove a previously unproven point. All it does is rouse emotion. Let me ask, is there anything in that video that surprised you? Is there anything that you didn't think happened, that did happen?

So, in fact, nothing has changed, because this video doesn't prove a previously unproven point. All it does is rouse emotion. Let me ask, is there anything in that video that surprised you? Is there anything that you didn't think happened, that did happen?
    Absolutely not. That is why I was astounded at Goodell's 2 game suspension. In my mind, I was in the 6-8 game range with anger management and domestic violence counseling. I will also say that I don't believe for a minute that this is the first and only instance of this behavior.

No, actually I don't. That video is EXACTLY what I thought happened. I mean, how else does she get knocked out, and we KNEW that she was knocked out with the last video that was released. Actually, I have to defer to Hindes here, because I think he hits the nail on the head.

But, this video confirms nothing else except that he hit her once and knocked her out. How else do you think she was out cold? That's what has me so utterly confused. There is NOTHING new here, except that we get to see with our own eyes what everyone already knew. And suddenly, that makes it all the worse? It confirms what happened? No way. It was already confirmed with a knocked out fiance being dragged out of the elevator.

The only issue that I can legitmately see coming from this has nothing to do with Rice. If the league office said they didn't have and see the video, and they did, then there's a serious credibility issue. But, since it's not a justice system and the decisions on discipline aren't regulated by law, there's nothing illegal about it. It will, however, give rise again to concerns over the league's quick review and destruction of the Patriots* tapes, or any other kind of decision based on piecemeal evidence.

The fact that the video exists and that the NFL is trying to say they couldn't get a copy of it when TMZ gets it, reeks of the care less attitude the league office had over this issue. They could have easily gotten a copy of the tape from Rice's attorney if they really wanted it.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

If the NFL and the Ravens never saw this video previously, it's only because they didn't want to see it.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    Absolutely not. That is why I was astounded at Goodell's 2 game suspension. In my mind, I was in the 6-8 game range with anger management and domestic violence counseling. I will also say that I don't believe for a minute that this is the first and only instance of this behavior.
    And you'd probably be surprised . . . actually, you wouldn't because you always debate with a head on your shoulders, that I agree with you pretty much the entire way through. I guess the problem I'm having here is the manufactured rage at Goodell, which comes not (IMO) from this incident, but because "He H8 Da Stillers!" Again, this isn't directed at you, CS, but in general. I'd be really interested to see a comparison of posts between people talking about James Harrison's domestic abuse situation, and this one. It just smacks of manufactured rage.

(And yes, I remember there being a few of us who wanted Harrison gone, or seriously suspended. I believe XT, you were one of them. I know for a fact HTG was, but I can't recall anyone else—doesn't mean there wasn't, just that (1) I'm getting old, and (2) there weren't a whole lot of us.)
    Last edited by Craic; 09-08-2014 at 11:27 PM.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

See? And that's what we mean when we say Goodell knee-jerks to the media. Nothing changed here except that there was a big emotional uproar over the video being shown in the media, and instantaneously, the hammer comes down. You could say the same thing about the original suspension - spins the wheel and lands at two games, big outrage in the media, all of a sudden, tough new policy. Same thing dozens of times on the concussion issue, on rule changes, on one-off discipline cases for years. They change rules on a whim in the middle of a season now - which would have been unthinkable in the past unless maybe somebody got killed. EVERY time the media gets excited about a subject, he comes up with some immediate and sweeping change. Unless the subject is that Goodell is a turd, in which case it'll be ignored, and hey - record revenues. I'm afraid the only thing that could get him to leave office is a meteor to the head.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

And you'd probably be surprised . . . actually, you wouldn't because you always debate with a head on your shoulders, that I agree with you pretty much the entire way through. I guess the problem I'm having here is the manufactured rage at Goodell, which comes not (IMO) from this incident, but because "He H8 Da Stillers!" Again, this isn't directed at you, CS, but in general. I'd be really interested to see a comparison of posts between people talking about James Harrison's domestic abuse situation, and this one. It just smacks of manufactured rage.

(And yes, I remember there being a few of us who wanted Harrison gone, or seriously suspended. I believe XT, you were one of them. I know for a fact HTG was, but I can't recall anyone else—doesn't mean there wasn't, just that (1) I'm getting old, and (2) there weren't a whole lot of us.)
    Yes, I was one of them, because I have absolutely ZERO tolerance for domestic violence or any man striking a woman unless it truly is in self-defense. So my rage isn't "manufactured" solely because I hate Goodell's guts. It's real.

But it doesn't mean Goodell shouldn't take any criticism at all for the way he has completely botched this entire situation. I guess that's my problem with what you said, because it sounded to me like you didn't think he deserved any. And may I add once again that we are not the only fan base who hates Goodell. The man gets booed everywhere he goes. There's a reason for that.

But NO ONE dared to say Dan Rooney was a supreme hypocrite in this event by giving Harrison a pass. Yes, kick in the door, slap your sons mother, then take your son to be *baptized*…..that made it okay.

Found the thread over at SF and read through it. Fact of the matter is, there isn't a lot of us left from that season. This whole thing still stinks a bit of manufactured rage, but I'll be honest and admit I thought a lot more of the people here now, posted the opposite on the board then.

Oh, and on another note, the two best lines of that entire thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by fansince '76
    Yeah, my bad. I've managed to make it through 40 years of life without getting arrested. Shame on me.
    And, in response:

Quote Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth
    Should I bring up that weekend in....Taiwan!!!???
    And, XT - Do I think that Goodell's handled himself appropriately? No, absolutely not. I'm still mad at him for how he handled the Patriots* affair. I too want to see a much harsher penalty for domestic abuse. But, when talking about Goodell, the fact of the matter is, he did EXACTLY what everyone here was complaining he never did. He handled the situation with consistency (or, at least, to a degree). I mean, Harrison broke down his girlfriend's door, destroyed the phone she was using to call the police, and then slapped her. At least in this situation, there's a marginal defense of assault (spitting on someone is something like assault in the third degree). And no, that doesn't justify it in the least.

My point with all that, however, is that while it doesn't justify it for Rice's case, it puts Harrison's in an even worse light. Yet, Harrison wasn't suspended. Rice was suspended for two games.

The long and short of it is, either we demand that Goodell be consistent, and then shut up about it when he actually is and we don't like it, or we stop demanding he be "consistent" every time we think we get the shaft because someone got a fine or a suspension that's not what we consider consistent with something that got handed down to one of our players.