Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ravens terminate Ray Rice

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Re: Ravens terminate Ray Rice

Rice is a has been. Looked like shit in preseason no doubt. If the Ravens thought there was any tread left on the tire they would have done something along the lines of having a press conference today or tomorrow where they would announce they've mutually decided to give Rice additional time off to get his life in order. Then he would have been reinstated sometime in mid season as a "new man."

But it looks like he's done, so they cut him. They too are phonies.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Cover up by the NFL, no doubt. Rice would have been better off stabbing her instead of Tysoning her. They probably would have made him team MVP.

All Defense!

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

i am going to praise Ozzy i would guess the team never seen it, but the commish probably burned is copy, but also 1 question what does this do for for their cap and what do the owe them?

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsdancefloor View Post
    i am going to praise Ozzy i would guess the team never seen it, but the commish probably burned is copy, but also 1 question what does this do for for their cap and what do the owe them?
    They don't owe him any more money, but his signing bonus was supposed to count $3 million against the cap in 2015 and $3 million in 2016, so that now turns into $6 million in dead money this year. On top of the $8M+ that was already on the books.

So overall, $14 million in dead money this year, $6 million of which is "new" and $8 million which was his regular salary and bonus, but now they don't get anything for.

I wonder if they'll at least get back the $3.5 million in base salary he was due to make, since he won't play even one game for them. That would bring the net effect down to about a $2.5 million extra cap hit.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/ray-rice/
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Roger Goodell = Epic fail (and yes, I know that's no longer a popular phrase. Shut up.) He couldn't have possibly made himself look any worse now that all of this has come to light.

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    Roger Goodell = Epic fail (and yes, I know that's no longer a popular phrase. Shut up.) He couldn't have possibly made himself look any worse now that all of this has come to light.

You're not kidding. Did anyone else have a WTF moment when they realized that, no joke, league policy is effectively being dictated by TMZ stories?
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Dwinsgames

I thought he could have been / should have been released from the first video ( the one when it first happened )

guess the proof is clearly in the pudding ... he should get a lifetime ban as a bad ambassador to the game

http://www.tmz.com/2014/09/08/ray-ri...g-punch-video/

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Ray Lewis: "I'm disappointed. This is personal for me. I'm torn. This is a young man I took under my wing"

Lewis: "Let me be clear: A man should never, ever put his hands on a woman."

Ray Lewis describing witnessing his mom being abused growing up
    https://twitter.com/justin_fenton

Ray Lewis says his situation and Ray Rice are 'night and day'
    https://twitter.com/RavensInsider

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    You're not kidding. Did anyone else have a WTF moment when they realized that, no joke, league policy is effectively being dictated by TMZ stories?
    Goodell has always made decisions based on what the media thinks, from "Concussion Sunday" to this major league fuck-up, because he has no mind of his own, nor a set of testicles. So this doesn't surprise me in the least. It's simply par for the course for him.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

You know every away game, the other home team would have somebody in the stands wearing a Rice jersey and boxing gloves.
    All Defense!

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

The damage control has gone into overdrive...

Peter King's MMQB from July 29, 2014:

There is one other thing I did not write or refer to, and that is the other videotape the NFL and some Ravens officials have seen, from the security camera inside the elevator at the time of the physical altercation between Rice and his fiancée.
    Peter King's MMQB from today:

Earlier this summer a source I trusted told me he assumed the NFL had seen the damaging video that was released by TMZ on Monday morning of Rice slugging his then-fiancée, Janay Palmer, in an Atlantic City elevator. The source said league officials had to have seen it. This source has been impeccable, and I believed the information. So I wrote that the league had seen the tape. I should have called the NFL for a comment, a lapse in reporting on my part. The league says it has not seen the tape, and I cannot refute that with certainty. No one from the league has ever knocked down my report to me, and so I was surprised to see the claim today that league officials have not seen the tape.
    Yeah, fancy that. Maybe that's because your initial report was accurate and they had seen it?

Mr. King certainly seems to know what side his bread is buttered on...

On a side note, it all sounds suspiciously familiar to the episode back during Super Bowl week in early 2011 when King turned "Steelers players" into "NFL players" after a number of Ben's teammates called Goodell on his bullshit claim that none of them supported Ben regarding his rape allegations. After all, it just made so much more sense that Goodell would solicit the opinions of random NFL players that don't even know or play with Ben as opposed to his own teammates.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Goodell has always made decisions based on what the media thinks, from "Concussion Sunday" to this major league fuck-up, because he has no mind of his own, nor a set of testicles. So this doesn't surprise me in the least. It's simply par for the course for him.
    Unfortunately, with the current state of most of the populace having the attention span of kindergarteners, this thing will lose steam, will quickly be forgotten and Goodell will skate again.

They need a good referee point shaving scandal to put this on the back burner. (Cowboys/49ers last night 3rd quarter.)
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

A couple things here... and maybe I'm just missing something but...

for one, why isn't he in jail for abuse?

and secondly, why is everyone (the media, league, and other players) just now acting like this is the first anyone heard of it? It's suddenly a big deal because we saw the fist fly this time? Where was all of this outrage, speaking out, and suspensions when he was dragging her around like a cave man? I'm pretty sure none of us needed a picture painted as to what happened in there for her to be out like she was.

and third of all, WHY HASN'T THE STATE PRESSED CHARGES???
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG Ī-

Quote Originally Posted by smokin3000gt View Post
    A couple things here... and maybe I'm just missing something but...

for one, why isn't he in jail for abuse?

and secondly, why is everyone (the media, league, and other players) just now acting like this is the first anyone heard of it? It's suddenly a big deal because we saw the fist fly this time? Where was all of this outrage, speaking out, and suspensions when he was dragging her around like a cave man? I'm pretty sure none of us needed a picture painted as to what happened in there for her to be out like she was.

and third of all, WHY HASN'T THE STATE PRESSED CHARGES???
    Celebrity "justice." However, he is losing his lucrative career over it now that Goodell needs a fall guy.

He copped to a pre-trial plea of anger management and Tae-Kwon-do.
    All Defense!

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Unfortunately, with the current state of most of the populace having the attention span of kindergarteners, this thing will lose steam, will quickly be forgotten and Goodell will skate again.

I don't think most people even understand that he knee-jerks according to the media in the first place. They see it as "Wow, here's another tough issue that also happened to be in the media, and he addressed it head-on." This is the first time I've even seen it suggested that he might be acting that way, and I don't see it going far. Next week it'll be back to everyone complaining about the big hit of the week and demanding a stiff fine and suspension because it looked bad on TV, and zombie-walking through that whole routine just like Goodell prefers.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if he issued a suspension for Antonio Brown tomorrow or Wednesday, because it's the nearest straw he can grasp at to focus attention on something else. Maybe he'll get Bell and/or Blount too. And as a bonus, this same week you'd get arrrr, aren't those Steelers a bunch of dirty players and now they play the Ravens, who faced a tough situation and ultimately did the right thing, and both are missing key players but which one will prevail. Oh the drama and compelling storylines, and look, someone just hit the kicker from behind with a folding chair.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I don't think most people even understand that he knee-jerks according to the media in the first place. They see it as "Wow, here's another tough issue that also happened to be in the media, and he addressed it head-on." This is the first time I've even seen it suggested that he might be acting that way, and I don't see it going far. Next week it'll be back to everyone complaining about the big hit of the week and demanding a stiff fine and suspension because it looked bad on TV, and zombie-walking through that whole routine just like Goodell prefers.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if he issued a suspension for Antonio Brown tomorrow or Wednesday, because it's the nearest straw he can grasp at to focus attention on something else. Maybe he'll get Bell and/or Blount too. And as a bonus, this same week you'd get arrrr, aren't those Steelers a bunch of dirty players and now they play the Ravens, who faced a tough situation and ultimately did the right thing, and both are missing key players but which one will prevail. Oh the drama and compelling storylines, and look, someone just hit the kicker from behind with a folding chair.
    Pretty much.

"Look! Over here! Shiny thing! Pretty!"

All Defense!

I'm thoroughly confused. What, exactly, is new information here? We saw video months ago of him dragging her out. All this shows is him actually swinging. There's nothing new here, but everyone's freaking out. I mean, a few days ago people were complaining that the NFL and Goodell were reacting to media. Now, we get media of the actual hit, and everyone's all freaking out.

How, exactly, is that not reacting to the media?

Don't get me wrong, the act itself is sickening. What I'm talking about now is the idea that "If we see it, it all of sudden is so much worse." And on that, I think it's hypocritical of Goodell, the Ravens,and anyone else who is making a bigger deal of it now than when it first happened.

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

You reap what you sow.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Not only did Goodell fail, the NFL fail, The Ravens fail but how about the prosecuting attorney in AC? fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I'm thoroughly confused. What, exactly, is new information here? We saw video months ago of him dragging her out. All this shows is him actually swinging. There's nothing new here, but everyone's freaking out. I mean, a few days ago people were complaining that the NFL and Goodell were reacting to media. Now, we get media of the actual hit, and everyone's all freaking out.

How, exactly, is that not reacting to the media?

Don't get me wrong, the act itself is sickening. What I'm talking about now is the idea that "If we see it, it all of sudden is so much worse." And on that, I think it's hypocritical of Goodell, the Ravens,and anyone else who is making a bigger deal of it now than when it first happened.
    Really? Have you not been paying attention ever since this incident happened? A whole lot of people were calling for a harsh suspension based on the initial video. When it didn't happen, the shitstorm got even bigger. And now that this video has been released, which only confirms the reasoning why he should have received a stiff suspension in the first place, people are rightfully calling Goodell to the carpet again for not doing what was right from the beginning. If he does the right thing and gives Rice the harsh suspension that this incident deserved, rather than the ridiculous 2 that he got, there would not be anything close to the reaction there is today.

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

The NFL and the Rats should have waited to respond until Friday. Just so William Gay could tee off on Rice a few times.

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

The Ray Rice jerseys are already gone from NFLShop. But you can still sneak a customized Rice 27 jersey through

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    The NFL and the Rats should have waited to respond until Friday. Just so William Gay could tee off on Rice a few times.
    Rice was suspended for Thursday's game anyhow.

And the NFL dropped the ball on this months ago. He should have gotten a stiff suspension in the first place. I mean what the hell did the NFL think happened in the first place, that she fell asleep in the elevator and that's why Rice was dragging her unconscious body out like a cave man?

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy