The Steelers had success running the no-huddle offense in the second half of last season, but quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was quick to point out this spring that his young receivers had to develop quickly if offensive coordinator Todd Haley was going to give him the authority to run it again this season.

Based on the performance Saturday against the Buffalo Bills in the second preseason game, it appears Roethlisberger’s new targets have picked things up just fine.

The Steelers ran the no-huddle on their first three possessions when Roethlisberger was in the game. They scored touchdowns on their first two and came up a yard short of a first down on their third.

“Looking at it today, there was only one mistake, and it was a very minor one,” Roethlisberger said.

Roethlisberger returned only one receiver with extensive experience in the system, veteran Antonio Brown. Second-year player Markus Wheaton is being plugged into the starting spot that was occupied by Emmanuel Sanders last year. Veteran free agent Lance Moore, signed to replace Jerricho Cotchery, is the new slot receiver. Justin Brown, solidly entrenched as the fourth receiver, was on the practice squad last year.

To make sure his new receivers as well as his new running backs and tight ends were up to speed with the no-huddle offense, Roethlisberger created a training camp quiz this summer to test their knowledge. Next week, the top three “losers” must buy pizza and wings for the entire offense.

“I bring the running backs, receivers and tight ends in, and we give them hand signals,” Roethlisberger said. “They have to write down what the play is called and what route they have.”

Roethlisberger would not say who might be buying dinner. He said five players are vying to stay out of the top three. It’s his way of keeping camp interesting while making sure the new guys know the no-huddle’s signals.

“I feel comfortable doing that because I know we’re going to do [the no-huddle] this year and I want guys to be up to speed on it,” he said.

The Steelers will play their third preseason game Thursday night against the Philadelphia Eagles. Roethlisberger expects to play the first half and would like at least one series of no-huddle.

“I’d like to get a little more road work, see if we can do no-huddle on the road, which is usually a little different,” he said. “Whether we do or don’t, I don’t know. That’s the good part about getting at least one series of no-huddle on the road, because the communication is a little tougher.”

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...#ixzz3Ar3DzTAh