Thread: Beachum coming up big on Steelers offensive line

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Beachum coming up big on Steelers offensive line

By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    A revolutionary concept took hold on the Steelers offensive line, an idea so wild that even those who run the football team resisted until they had no choice.
    They are showing that at left tackle, smaller is better. No one in the banking world would ever call 6-foot-3, 300-pound Kelvin Beachum small, but in the sphere of the NFL, he is -- by 4 of 5 inches and 30 pounds. He is so small for that position that when the Steelers got around to drafting him in the seventh round in 2012, they said he would play guard, even though he started 54 games at left tackle for Southern Methodist University.
    Yet Beachum not only started 11 games at left tackle in 2013 and one at tight end, he has overwhelmed the competition this summer known as 6-7, 330-pound Mike Adams, who was drafted in the second round in 2012. Beachum put the clamps on his job from the get-go this year and there no longer is any suggestion of anyone else playing the position.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...#ixzz3AlU810yM

Love this kid and his drive to become excellent.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: Beachum coming up big on Steelers offensive line

Forget Gilbert. THIS is the guy I want to see signed to a reasonable extension while there's still time. He has another good season or two, and we'll be paying for it through the nose.

It sucks that you can't extend rookie deals until after the third year, because any savings we get from having him on a minimum deal this year would be more than wiped out if he enters Young Up-And-Coming Left Tackle Land before contract negotiations, and you have half a dozen idiots lining up to offer him $9 million a season to "lock down the left side for the next decade," which basically just means screwing over both us and themselves at the same time.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Our best 3 lineman:

Kelvin Beachum: 6-foot-3, 300
    David DeCastro: 6-5 Weight: 316
    Maurkice Pouncey: 6-4 Weight: 304

-------------------

Looks like lighter is better in general in todays NFL:

NFL team weights

Apparently, it's better to be light.

Of the 10 heaviest teams in the NFL (using starting lineups), only the Patriots and the Ravens are among the top 10 teams in this week's ESPN Power Rankings. Each of those teams has been built around strong defenses.

On the other hand, the three lightest teams -- the Broncos, Falcons, and Colts -- are ranked 7, 4, and 5, while two other 10 lightest teams -- the Eagles and the Packers -- are also among the top 10 in the Power Rankings.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...41124_rankings
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Lean and speed seem to be the new mantra of the new NFL.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Of the 10 heaviest teams in the NFL (using starting lineups), only the Patriots and the Ravens are among the top 10 teams in this week's ESPN Power Rankings. Each of those teams has been built around strong defenses.
    ?????

Did I miss when the Patriots suddenly became built around defense? Last I checked, the pass-pass system offense was their entire schtick, and the defense was (as always) just good enough not to collapse entirely, so the Patriots win 34-31. That was a bit of a head-scratcher.

To the main point: Yeah, it makes sense that eventually there's a point of diminishing return for fatness. There are enough guys who can be 300 pounds and still athletic; a lot fewer can be 340 pounds without it starting to become a bad thing. Eventually it was bound to level off, otherwise the trend would be for every lineman to be a 400-pound fat guy before long, which isn't realistic.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post

To the main point: Yeah, it makes sense that eventually there's a point of diminishing return for fatness.
    Roger that.

"With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I'm not sure if Adams regressed (which, I know, would be hard to do given his pathetic performance last year) but I always thought he could be a pretty decent RT. He shouldn't even be in the conversation for challenging Beachum at LT, but I thought that when he played RT he was at least as good of a run blocker as Gilbert. Plus, as far as I know, he's injured less Steelers.