Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Adams

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Mike Adams

Anyone think he's going to be a starter? I don't…maybe a backup. He's getting schooled at right tackle now.

In team drills, second-year safety Shamarko Thomas, 5 feet 9, 217 pounds, bull-rushed 6-7, 323-pound right tackle Mike Adams and drove him to the turf.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...#ixzz38v14esji

Senior Member Array title="blackngldblood has a spectacular aura about"> blackngldblood's Avatar

Re: Mike Adams

No, I've given up hope in Adams. I really believed that he had a chance to become a great tackle, but I've moved on. He's soft...

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Got bull-rushed to the turf by a guy 10 inches shorter and 106 pounds lighter. FAIL!

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

what the fuck? tidbits like that make it hard to believe, but with the best O-line coach, its still possible. im giving him one more go around this year before i say yes or no
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    what the fuck? tidbits like that make it hard to believe, but with the best O-line coach, its still possible. im giving him one more go around this year before i say yes or no
    The best O-line coach just may have someone else in mind to start at RT. Adams always seems to be *somewhere else* even when he's playing football.

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

To be fair, no lineman looks "good" against a bull rush. With a thick safety having a head start and complete leverage, it really shouldn't be that shocking. Adams' bend looks better from what I can tell. But long ways to go.

To the larger point, if Munchak can't generate noticeable improvement with Adams during the preseason, it should be fair to discuss if he should still have a roster spot. At some point, you have to throw your hands up and say you've done all you can with the guy. And then move on.

Adams started where he left off ...on his A$$! I don't believe Adams has the mental drive to play a solid, complete game. I wouldn't be surprised to see Munch's pick, Wesley Johnson getting more reps.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

I don't think he's on the final 53 this year.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Getting knocked over once in practice does not mean a hell of a lot. In fact, it means less than nothing. You know what reporters do at training camp? Stand around all day waiting for their one or two interviews, and rack their brains looking for any little thing interesting to talk about that happened on the field, without having any clue whether it actually means anything or not.

What I really hope is that Adams is learning something, instead of getting knocked on his ass and "well, whup, whuddya know," and being left to his own devices. It really is make-or-break for both him and Gilbert this year, and I think they both know it.

I can't see either of them being left off the final roster, because who else do we have that's better? Even if our fifth-round guy makes it, AND we keep Whimper, AND nobody gets hurt, that only makes 7 linemen and we usually keep 9, or 10 if somebody's going to miss the first few weeks. (Beachum, Foster, Pouncey, DeCastro, rookie, Goose, Whimper, two more). Maybe if a UDFA has a HUGE preseason, but it would have to be fucking incredible.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

I hope they have learned from Gilbert and Adams not to waste early round picks on players pegged as lazy and unmotivated.

Starks, while a great person and decent lineman at times, was also pegged as a low intensity player coming out of college.

Just saying there seems to be a pattern here.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="TMC has a spectacular aura about">

I have heard that Adams has looked better, other than this one play, and has had a pretty good camp to this point. I would not take one play as an indicator, and this is coming from a guy that holds out little hope that Adams becomes a starter.

I have also heard that Gilbert is having a great camp. Still early. Have to see how this all shakes out, but I do not see Adams cracking the starting lineup anytime soon.

I still think they need a true blue-chip LT and that would help this line greatly. No knock on Beachum, but I think he would be even better at a position where his length was not tested.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

I am being premature in implying they are both busts. Hopefully this year will be their coming out party...

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Getting knocked over once in practice does not mean a hell of a lot. In fact, it means less than nothing. You know what reporters do at training camp? Stand around all day waiting for their one or two interviews, and rack their brains looking for any little thing interesting to talk about that happened on the field, without having any clue whether it actually means anything or not.

What I really hope is that Adams is learning something, instead of getting knocked on his ass and "well, whup, whuddya know," and being left to his own devices. It really is make-or-break for both him and Gilbert this year, and I think they both know it.

I can't see either of them being left off the final roster, because who else do we have that's better? Even if our fifth-round guy makes it, AND we keep Whimper, AND nobody gets hurt, that only makes 7 linemen and we usually keep 9, or 10 if somebody's going to miss the first few weeks. (Beachum, Foster, Pouncey, DeCastro, rookie, Goose, Whimper, two more). Maybe if a UDFA has a HUGE preseason, but it would have to be fucking incredible.
    I don't base my opinion on a second hand account of one play during a training camp scrimmage. I base it on two years of his substandard game play. If anything his game actually regressed last year. Unless his play improves 10 fold he doesn't belong on an NFL roster. His draft status is the only thing that has saved him to this point. I doubt it will again. So unless his play has indeed improved I'll stand by my prediction that he wont make the final 53. As far as who's better? About 15 guys on the waiver wire at just about any given time after the 1st of September.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="slippy will become famous soon enough"> slippy's Avatar

gilbert will be gone next year. we will not pay him 5 mil a year (i hope).

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    I don't base my opinion on a second hand account of one play during a training camp scrimmage. I base it on two years of his substandard game play. If anything his game actually regressed last year. Unless his play improves 10 fold he doesn't belong on an NFL roster. His draft status is the only thing that has saved him to this point. I doubt it will again. So unless his play has indeed improved I'll stand by my prediction that he wont make the final 53. As far as who's better? About 15 guys on the waiver wire at just about any given time after the 1st of September.
    No doubt if he keeps playing like last year, we have no use for him. I'm still hoping that we WILL see a big improvement this year, now that we have an OL coach who we know is the real deal. Adams' problem, IMO, as well as Gilbert's, is that both of them came in with great physical tools and potential, but both still play like they're rookies. For that matter, DeCastro has turned out to be good, but seems to me he was almost NFL-ready when he came into the league, and has been learning it all on his own. He should be knocking it out of the park now, and hopefully a coach like Munchak will help him reach the next level too.

I agree completely, if Adams has his chance to learn from Munchak and still doesn't get it, it's probably a lost cause. On the other hand, I am skeptical that it's as easy to find serviceable offensive linemen on the random training-camp scrap heap as you think it is. That's where you find world-beaters such as Guy Whimper, Levi Brown and Jonathan Scott. (No, they didn't all come to us exactly that way, but that's the kind of player you find).

Quote Originally Posted by TMC View Post
    I still think they need a true blue-chip LT and that would help this line greatly. No knock on Beachum, but I think he would be even better at a position where his length was not tested.

I'm happy with Beachum, especially if he continues improving. The idea of a star left tackle is one of the biggest red herrings in football, and if you ask me creates just as many problems as it solves. A ton of hype about the position started several years ago, roughly at the time the movie "The Blind Side" came out, and all of a sudden, teams are paying offensive tackles almost as much as quarterbacks, which doesn't work. People are always saying, "I wish we'd draft a blue-chip offensive tackle in the first round and lock down the left side for 10 years," but what that really means is, "Let's do that and lock down the left side for 4 years, then face a crippling $11M-a-year contract extension that means we have to let go of another star player at a skill position, not to mention the other player we missed out on by spending our top draft pick on an offensive tackle."

What you want is a left tackle that's good, but not the kind with name recognition that commands stupid amounts of money when it's contract time. Put it this way: The difference between a slightly above-average LT on a $4-5M salary, and a star LT on an $10-11M salary - in terms of the on-field impact it has on your team overall - is nowhere near the difference between an average player and a star player at most other positions, and it's certainly not worth the extra $5-6 million. In that respect, Beachum is almost perfect for us. Or if one of the other two clowns competing for the spot becomes serviceable at a similar cost, that would be a blessing as well.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

I honestly believe Adams issue is between the ears, kinda like Mendy. The tools are present but the desire or mental makeup isn't. I wish him success, but don't see it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I honestly believe Adams issue is between the ears, kinda like Mendy. The tools are present but the desire or mental makeup isn't. I wish him success, but don't see it happening.
    I think the most intensity we have seen from him thus far is when he begged Pittsburgh to give him a chance to play here.

Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    I think the most intensity we have seen from him thus far is when he begged Pittsburgh to give him a chance to play here.

Sigh.

He also apparently has a passion for late-night drunken sandwich runs, don't forget. I never quite had the fire to be doing that at 3am.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

You know what reporters do at training camp? Stand around all day waiting for their one or two interviews, and rack their brains looking for any little thing interesting to talk about that happened on the field, without having any clue whether it actually means anything or not.
    lol like Baron Batch blocking James Harrison (in his prime) decently on literally just one play in training camp
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

I'm happy with Beachum, especially if he continues improving. The idea of a star left tackle is one of the biggest red herrings in football, and if you ask me creates just as many problems as it solves. A ton of hype about the position started several years ago, roughly at the time the movie "The Blind Side" came out, and all of a sudden, teams are paying offensive tackles almost as much as quarterbacks, which doesn't work. People are always saying, "I wish we'd draft a blue-chip offensive tackle in the first round and lock down the left side for 10 years," but what that really means is, "Let's do that and lock down the left side for 4 years, then face a crippling $11M-a-year contract extension that means we have to let go of another star player at a skill position, not to mention the other player we missed out on by spending our top draft pick on an offensive tackle."

What you want is a left tackle that's good, but not the kind with name recognition that commands stupid amounts of money when it's contract time. Put it this way: The difference between a slightly above-average LT on a $4-5M salary, and a star LT on an $10-11M salary - in terms of the on-field impact it has on your team overall - is nowhere near the difference between an average player and a star player at most other positions, and it's certainly not worth the extra $5-6 million. In that respect, Beachum is almost perfect for us. Or if one of the other two clowns competing for the spot becomes serviceable at a similar cost, that would be a blessing as well.
    I know you believe that having a great LT is a red herring, I do not. I also do not believe that the book "The Blindside" made NFL teams go: "Hey, we need to pay LTs more". "The Blindside" was published in 2006. Do you know the list of tackles taken in the top 10 prior to 2006? They include Robert Gallery, Jordan Gross, Mike Williams, Bryant McKinnie, Levi Jones, Leonard Davis, Chris Samuels, Kyle Turley, Orlando Pace, Walter Jones, Jon Ogden, Willie Anderson, Tony Boselli, Lincoln Kennedy, Willie Roaf, and many, many more. If left tackles lacked importance prior to the book,why did so many teams invest significant assets to acquire tackles?

And, as for the money aspect. If you draft a corner, say, like Patrick Peterson, in the first round, how much does he cost you on your second contract? We just extended a center for 5 years, $44M. That is $8.8M per season. How much will Heyward get? What did they pay Woodley? What did they pay Harrison? How much was Worilds tag?

If the player is good, he will get paid, regardless of the position. I find it crazy to think you do not want an elite player at tackle because you are worried what he makes in 5 seasons. That is nuts. What if Beachum develops into an elite tackle. Do you let him walk or pay him?

Shit, might as well hope that all the players are just good, but we do not want any stars. Better trade Ben before next off season too........

- - - Updated - - -

Just to put this out, rumor is that Dulac said he looked like crap today, so it appears we are back on the rollercoaster with Adams.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

In what world does having a great LT hurt you? Yes, there may be a correlation between awesome LT's and terrible teams but they are not the cause. That is because only teams that pick in the first 8 picks or so of the draft get to select the 1-3 players from every draft class that are immediate decade long starters at the position. Just because Joe Thomas got picked by a crappy poorly run franchise does not mean he isn't one of the best players in the game at his position and possibly at any position.

Dwinsgames

it really does not matter how much talent you have or how well you are coached if you lack the ability to concentrate and think on the move ... the latter is Mike Adams problem IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    In what world does having a great LT hurt you? Yes, there may be a correlation between awesome LT's and terrible teams but they are not the cause. That is because only teams that pick in the first 8 picks or so of the draft get to select the 1-3 players from every draft class that are immediate decade long starters at the position. Just because Joe Thomas got picked by a crappy poorly run franchise does not mean he isn't one of the best players in the game at his position and possibly at any position.
    In the world where there's a salary cap, that's where. There's no way of avoiding it: If you have a great LT, either you have to spend way way way too much on one lineman, or you lose that player anyway. It's a fool's errand. I don't think it's any coincidence that most of the teams that pick OTs in the top 10 are bad - that move holds them back from getting better.

Would you rather have Beachum doing an OK job on the left side, and Timmons and Shazier as your inside linebackers? Or would you rather have a great left tackle but no Timmons because you couldn't afford him, and no Shazier because you never drafted him? That's the kind of tradeoff you'd be making. You're talking about passing up players in spots where you get guys like Ben Roethlisberger and Troy Polamalu, to get an offensive lineman. You think the Cowboys are going to suddenly be great because they gave their left tackle a $110 million contract? Or is that going to guaran-fucking-tee that they have one or more big holes in their lineup that teams will take advantage of for the next eight years? In that light, it's no wonder most of those teams stay bad.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

This offseason, the going rate for free agent left tackles was $7M a season. Albert is the only guy in the top 10 free agent OTs that climbed over $8M a season. We pay that for Antonio Brown.

1. Eugene Monroe (Re-signed five-year, $37.5M deal with BAL)
    2. Jared Veldheer (Signed five-year, $35M deal with ARZ)
    3. Branden Albert (Signed five-year, $46M deal with MIA)
    4. Anthony Collins (Signed five-year, $30M deal with TB)
    5. Rodger Saffold (Re-signed five-year, $31.7M deal with STL)
    6. Donald Penn (Signed two-year, $9.6M deal with OAK)
    7. Michael Oher (Signed four-year, $20M deal with TEN)
    8. Breno Giacomini (Signed four-year, $18M deal with NYJ)
    9. Austin Howard (Signed five-year, $30M deal with OAK)
    10. Zach Strief (Re-signed five-year, $20.5M deal with NO)

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

In the world where there's a salary cap, that's where. There's no way of avoiding it: If you have a great LT, either you have to spend way way way too much on one lineman, or you lose that player anyway. It's a fool's errand. I don't think it's any coincidence that most of the teams that pick OTs in the top 10 are bad - that move holds them back from getting better.

Would you rather have Beachum doing an OK job on the left side, and Timmons and Shazier as your inside linebackers? Or would you rather have a great left tackle but no Timmons because you couldn't afford him, and no Shazier because you never drafted him? That's the kind of tradeoff you'd be making. You're talking about passing up players in spots where you get guys like Ben Roethlisberger and Troy Polamalu, to get an offensive lineman. You think the Cowboys are going to suddenly be great because they gave their left tackle a $110 million contract? Or is that going to guaran-fucking-tee that they have one or more big holes in their lineup that teams will take advantage of for the next eight years? In that light, it's no wonder most of those teams stay bad.
    I don't think it is as bad as you think.

http://overthecap.com/top-player-sal...n=LT&Year=2014

None of those salaries is rally that unmangeable in the current NFL salary structure.

Plus your argument is a bit circular. Would you rather have Timmons and Shazier and a mediocre OT depth chart is the exact reverse of your argument. I realize that their are trade-offs and opportunity costs with any method a team chooses to pursue in its roster construction. I would simply prefer to to build a solid OL first and foremost.

Look at the terrible play-action #'s detailed in this article. http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/07...ng-tendencies/ Traditionally, Roethlisberger has been lauded as one of the better play action QB's in the game. A terrible line that opened very few consistent holes in the run game and tended to not offer good pass protection either, allowed teams to take away a whole segment of the passing offense. The high frequency of screens and short passes may be because they give Haley such a rush, or they could also be related to poor line play.

To be clear, I am not advocating for passing up franchise quarterbacks and once in a generation talents to take the 3rd rated tackle on the board in a given draft class. C'mon. I was merely pointing out that the argument that having an elite LT = bad team may have something to do with where those players are typically drafted rather than the idea that devoting salary cap $ to a LT makes your team terrible.

Finally, to address the point about having a big hole in your lineup that teams are taking advantage of...what the hell do you call the terrible offensive lines that this team has fronted Ben with? I get that it is a calculated risk on the part of the FO. Take the $$ and devote them to another area and hope that Ben can survive and thrive. But teams have decidedly taken advantage of the poor line play - often in crucial situations. I know that it is a silly hypothetical, but improve the line play and how many SB trophies would be in the case? I argue at least 1 more and likely 2.

STEELER NATION RULES ! Array title="katmandu has much to be proud of"> katmandu's Avatar

Look, it's as simple as this. If Mike Adams had HALF the heart and warrior mentality as Hines Ward he would be a perennial Pro Bowler!

Mike has all the physical tools but he's just too damn soft. PERIOD!
    "Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." -- Mark Twain

Support Steelers Universe with a Donation via PayPal !

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru....php?do=donate

On his A$$ again…

• There were several highlights from the pass-rushing/pass-protection competition. Nose tackle Steve McLendon knocked Cody Wallace on his wallet after bull-rushing the reserve center and rookie nose tackle Daniel McCullers ran over tackle Mike Adams later in the drill. The offensive line, however, appeared to hold its own as a group in the drill.

Quote Originally Posted by katmandu View Post
    Look, it's as simple as this.

If Mike Adams had HALF the heart and warrior mentality as Hines Ward he would be a perennial Pro Bowler!

Mike has all the physical tools but he's just too damn soft. PERIOD!
    ...you'd think he was playing high....oh wait...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

220 pounds running directly at you with 4.3 speed...not many tackles are going to flat out stop that. It's easy to say that Adams is soft because of that, but if you've never played O-Line and dealt with 5' 8" of 220 pounds coming at you at that speed, you really are talking out your ass...just ass-uming that "big" should beat "little" with no problem...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

I think most folks are basing their comments on Adams past few years…and that isn't very promising.