Thread: Italian Sport Combines Rugby With Bare-Knuckle Fighting

Reigning Black & Gold Array title="venom has a reputation beyond repute"> venom's Avatar

Italian Sport Combines Rugby With Bare-Knuckle Fighting

Being Italian , I have no idea why both of my parents ( both born in Italy ) never told me about this sport .There is a sporting event held annually in the Piazza Santa Croce in Florence, Italy. It is called Calcio Fiorentino, and it is an ancient form of football from the 16th Century that is essentially rugby, but with a whole bunch of dudes just mercilessly beating the crap out of each other. Below, you can watch the 2014 semi-final match between Santo Spirito (Bianchi-White) and Santa Croce (Azzuri-Blue). Here are some things you will see:
    • A bunch of guys just wailing on each other.
    • The guy who has the ball spending most of the match just chilling behind the line of dudes demolishing each other. You may question this strategy, but if you watch long enough you'll see what happens to the guy with the ball if he tries to make a run toward the other team's goal (he basically gets murdered).
    • Dudes just sitting on top of other dudes for long periods of time. Aside from just knocking people out, an effective strategy seems to be subduing an opponent and then just sitting on him for as long as possible so as to prevent him from tackling the ball-carrier when a run toward the goal is made.
    • The referee taking the ball any time the ball-carrier gets tackled and just throwing it as high into the air as he possibly can. Chaos reigns as the ball makes its descent.

There are 27 players on each team, and the purpose of the game is to throw the ball into the other team's goal, which appears to span the entire length of the opposite fence. Players are allowed to use any means necessary to advance or stop the ball, and the team with the most goals at the end of 50 minutes wins . It's really hard to imagine why we need any other sport in our lives.

Let me know what you guys think - I love it !!

<strong>

Senior Member Array title="Drazo85 has a reputation beyond repute"> Drazo85's Avatar
    Tetris Champion! Jungle Fruit Champion!

Re: Italian Sport Combines Rugby With Bare-Knuckle Fighting

I actually watched this video few months ago and im delighted. I would like to try this but strangely cant find anyone to play with me.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Re: Italian Sport Combines Rugby With Bare-Knuckle Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Drazo85 View Post
    I actually watched this video few months ago and im delighted. I would like to try this but strangely cant find anyone to play with me.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant