Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emmanuel Sanders: Peyton is a far better leader than Ben

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Emmanuel Sanders: Peyton is a far better leader than Ben

Emmanuel Sanders arrived in Denver this offseason after four years in Pittsburgh. He immediately noticed a big difference between Peyton Manning and Ben Roethlisberger.

Sanders said on 104.3 The Fan in Denver that Manning’s leadership and determination to win goes far beyond that of Roethlisberger or any other teammate Sanders has ever had.

“I feel like Peyton is a far better leader, in terms of staying after practice, catching balls, wanting guys to get on the same page with him, things of that sort,” Sanders said. “This is the first time that I’ve had a quarterback that every single day after practice — no matter what his accolades, NFL MVP, Super Bowl ring — he keeps guys like me and [rookie receiver Cody] Latimer after practice. . . . He’s not one of those guys you’ve got to chase down. He’s going to be right in the same spot, ready to work, every single day. I just feel like that’s a difference from a mental standpoint.”

Sanders said he views Roethlisberger as a winner, too, and he enjoyed their time as teammates. But he’s enjoying his time with Manning even more.

“I’ve got so much love for Ben,” Sanders said. “At the same time, I’m not going to lie. I’m happy to be part of this organization and happy that Peyton is my quarterback.”

Those comments will surely be received better in Denver than in Pittsburgh.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ader-than-ben/

Senior Member Array title="blackngldblood has a spectacular aura about"> blackngldblood's Avatar

Re: Emmanuel Sanders: Peyton is a far better leader than Ben

I'm sure he is happy to be out of Pittsburgh, where most fans didn't appreciate his ability to catch the game changers....

Senior Member Array title="slippy will become famous soon enough"> slippy's Avatar

after sanders drops two or three balls, manning will just stop throwing his way. good luck with your lifes work, manny.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Preseason BS. blah, blah, blah

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

I respect Manning's work ethic and attitude.

I think this is going to put one more chip on Ben's shoulders.

Can't wait for the season to start so people can shut up and play.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

But he doesn't keep Wes Welker or DeMaryius Thomas after practice?

Maybe that says something?

It's no secret that Peyton has one of the best work ethics in the league...to say it's "far better" than Ben's? I have no idea...but whatever Ben has been doing has been pretty good...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

Just listened to Warren Sapp talk about this on NFLN. I can't believe I'm about to type this, but he summed it up very nicely and I agree with him 100%. (Barf)

He said that he bets Manning would trade all of his awards for the the 2 rings that Ben has. Sapp also said that as far as Sanders is concerned, there's a difference between old school and new school. New school is me me me first and Sanders is just trying to get his 15 minutes of fame, and is stroking his QB's ego to get more targets thrown his way.
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

The same Sanders that was beat out of playing time and then a job by AB despite being drafted 3 rounds higher wants to talk about work ethic? Really? Seems to me if he needs his QB to babysit him to "keep him after practice," maybe his work ethic isn't all that either.

We'll see how much he likes Peyton after he drops a few that hit him right between the numbers and Peyton starts throwing elsewhere...

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

#1 I don't think there are many players with Paytons devotion.

#2 Payton could make him a lot of money come contact time. A la Eric Decker and a slew of others. So, yeah he should like him.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    Payton could make him a lot of money come contact time. A la Eric Decker and a slew of others. So, yeah he should like him.
    Unless his hands have gotten better, I doubt it. Manning doesn't like it too much when his WRs butterfinger passes that he hits them with in stride from what I've seen...

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Emmanual Sanders is dead to me.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

First Clark says that Washington has the best secondary that he's ever played with and now Manny's running his mouth.

These guys are still butt hurt that the Steelers let them go.

If they were any good, they'd still be here.

I'm also waiting for the Peyton tirade after Manny drops a crucial pass.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    I'm also waiting for the Peyton tirade after Manny drops a crucial pass.
    Or when Manning chews his ass out on national TV after he makes a mistake that leads to an INT...

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Unless his hands have gotten better, I doubt it. Manning doesn't like it too much when his WRs butterfinger passes that he hits them with in stride from what I've seen...
    True, but Payton will throw him more short passes. He throws softer too. Have you seen Bens arm. Lol.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Manny Sweed needs to worry about the WRs ahead of him and even a monster at TE who will probably take away many of his targets in 2014 rather than whether his QB wins the blue ribbon for most study hall hours preparing for a game.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Bam.

"With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

After that piss poor performance in his last game, manning needs to stay and do the extra work.

The funniest thing is that, at least form the context, that is NOT what Sanders said—that Manning was far better than Roethlisberger. He said that Peyton is a far better leader than anyone he's every played with. That's not a dig at Ben. Of course Peyton is a better leader. It's been on of his best strengths and what made him one of the great QBs of our time. And yes, Peyton is exactly that. I just love how the writer here likes to skip right over that and stir stuff up. Next thing we know, we'll be reading an article on how the Rooneys are trying to lure Manning to Pittsburgh since they didn't give a contract to Ben, since Peyton is such a better leader than ben alone.

Seriously, it's training camp. Can't the writers actually write about camp?

In 10 seasons, Roethlisberger has led the Steelers to four division titles, three AFC Championships and two Lombardi Trophies.

Yet Roethlisberger consistently is ranked behind Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers and others despite owning a 105-51 career record, including 10-4 in the playoffs.

Roethlisberger owns franchise records with his 63.3 completion percentage, 219 touchdowns, 34, 105 passing yards.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...mlin/13298249/

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Of course Peyton is a better leader. It's been on of his best strengths and what made him one of the great QBs of our time. And yes, Peyton is exactly that.
    Overall, yes, but it really hasn't historically shown up in the postseason. Manning is one of the all-time greats as long as everything is running "according to script." When it doesn't, and especially in the big games, he panics and you get the chicken-with-its-head-cut-off act everyone was treated to in this past Super Bowl. Let's face it, the guy never could get his head back in the game after the botched snap on the Broncos' first drive and it just went downhill for him from there. Panicking in the face of adversity has been a recurring theme throughout Manning's career.

IMO, that is the one area where Ben is better as a leader than Manning - intestinal fortitude. When things break down and a situation calls for a cool head and improvisation and making something out of nothing, he leaves Manning (and just about everyone else outside of maybe Johnny Unitas and Joe Montana) in the dust. And his teammates have often fed off of it. IMO, it's a big reason why Super Bowl XLV didn't become a laugher after we went down 21-3 early and was a big factor in us pulling out Super Bowl XLIII with 2 minutes and some change left on the clock.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Overall, yes, but it really hasn't historically shown up in the postseason. Manning is one of the all-time greats as long as everything is running "according to script." When it doesn't, and especially in the big games, he panics and you get the chicken-with-its-head-cut-off act everyone was treated to in this past Super Bowl. Let's face it, the guy never could get his head back in the game after the botched snap on the Broncos' first drive and it just went downhill for him from there. Panicking in the face of adversity has been a recurring theme throughout Manning's career.

IMO, that is the one area where Ben is better as a leader than Manning - intestinal fortitude. When things break down and a situation calls for a cool head and improvisation and making something out of nothing, he leaves Manning (and just about everyone else outside of maybe Johnny Unitas and Joe Montana) in the dust. And his teammates have often fed off of it. IMO, it's a big reason why Super Bowl XLV didn't become a laugher after we went down 21-3 early and was a big factor in us pulling out Super Bowl XLIII with 2 minutes and some change left on the clock.
    Naa, I have no disagreement with you whatsoever. Peyton makes his mark on the game because he's a cerebral, "out think your opponent" type quarterback. Ben makes his mark on the game because he's the "Oh crap—busted play . . .EVERYONE GO DEEP! I'll run around for five seconds and shake off a couple tackles!" quarterback. Which would I rather have? Before a game, Peyton Manning every time. When things go to pot in a game? Ben R. every time. In truth, I wish we could fuse to two.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post

Well . . . at least we now know something that Peyton needs a lot of work in.

Senior Member Array title="Jaucer is on a distinguished road">

midwest ohio home of the MAC high school conference

Well . . . at least we now know something that Peyton needs a lot of work in.
    Peyton's dance looked a lot like your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    No one ever said he wasn't a big goober with an eighthead... 'cut that meat! cut that meat!' lol.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I don't think Sanders is going to make much difference there. Unless Denver signs Dr. Henry Heimlich, they're not winning a championship with Manning at QB.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I agree with pretty much every point everyone has already said. Manning is the best QB in terms of practice and preparation than anyone in the history of football. No Steelers fan (that isn't brain dead) will deny this. I think Manny got very lucky and landed in the perfect spot for him. Manning will make him the best possible receiver he can be. Eric Decker should give Manning a bigger percentage of his new paychecks than he gives his agent because he will never, ever, duplicate those kinds of stats again. Manning has probably watched film on every play that Sanders was involved with last year and knows that he needs the extra attention. So, good for Sanders. But now he has zero excuses to ever drop a ball or screw up a route, so we'll see how he does under that pressure. If he doesn't capitalize on what Manning has to offer then he is blowing a receiver's wet dream opportunity of a lifetime. If he stays healthy enough to get another contract after this (and Manning stays QB for those years) some team will probably overpay for him (as the Jets did with Decker). I'm happy for him and his family.

It doesn't really make me think any less of Ben though. He has two rings for a reason, and he'll do just fine without Sanders.

Senior Member Array title="TMC has a spectacular aura about">

Now is the time to praise Manning's leadership, but if they get into the playoffs and Sanders drops a pass or two and they lose, I wonder how he will feel when Manning throws his ass under the bus.

Great leaders often do more than study film and prepare, sometimes they take the beating when other teammates mess up. Manning rarely does that.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Not than many people outside of us who watched every steeler game would know this. Well documented that Brown was head and shoulders above Sanders. Plus like many have mentioned Sanders has always had a case of the drops throughout his playing time in the Burgh. Lets see who made the big catch against the Ravens in the Div Round of the 2010 Playoffs? You know the play the deep ball on fourth down that Brown caught against his helmet and, did Sanders even cat one ball during that game? Hell NO! It ticks me off that Sanders would take a shot at Ben like this. Ben helped you get this contract you have and, this how you thank him. I hope he drops several passes and, Manning rips him a new one. I just can't see Sanders having a big impact this year with all of the other players they have. Welker, D. Thomas, J. Thomas. ect. It gets old hearing alot of the media treating Ben like he is chopped liver.