Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Emmanuel Sanders: Peyton is a far better leader than Ben

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Re: Emmanuel Sanders: Peyton is a far better leader than Ben

Broncos wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders was always one of the better interviews during the four seasons he spent with the Pittsburgh Steelers. He almost always gave thoughtful and honest answers, and I don't want to bash him for his unvarnished take on Peyton Manning's leadership compared to that of Ben Roethlisberger.

Too often we, as in the media, complain that the players and teams we cover give responses to our questions that are as canned as they are clichéd. And then we club them over the head with their words if they ignite a controversy.

What I can't reconcile with Sanders' assertion that Manning is a "far better leader" than Roethlisberger is a scene inside a silent visiting locker room at M&T Bank Stadium late last November.

The Steelers had just suffered a crushing 22-20 loss to the Ravens after rallying back from a double-digit fourth-quarter deficit. They should have tied the game late when Roethlisberger put a two-point conversion pass right on Sanders' hands.........

Read more @ http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...-of-leadership

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Sanders just doesn't know when to shut up. I never hated him when he was with the Steelers but I'm starting to now.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    Sanders just doesn't know when to shut up. I never hated him when he was with the Steelers but I'm starting to now.
    This. The thing that makes the angriest is that since his suspension, Ben has done everything right. Yet the media goes over the top with any story that makes Ben look bad. Like "Aha! I told you he was a bad guy!".

Senior Member Array title="MrPgh has a spectacular aura about">

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    This. The thing that makes the angriest is that since his suspension, Ben has done everything right. Yet the media goes over the top with any story that makes Ben look bad. Like "Aha! I told you he was a bad guy!".
    This is what happened on Fox Sports 1 last night. They were acting as if Ben was way out of line for his reaction to Sanders comments. One of them even said something along the lines of "Ben isn't the face of the Steelers franchise. He hasn't endeared himself in Pittsburgh and that's on him." Now I wonder, is this true? Or is that sentiment just from a vocal minority of Yinzer Nation that can't get over what happened four years ago and probably just hate the fact the NFL is officiated towards making QBs successful and wants three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust football?

But I must say I don't think Ben should be hurt over what Sanders said. He just needs to remember he's a 2x Super Bowl winning QB and Sanders is nothing more than a 3rd or 4th WR.

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrPgh View Post
    This is what happened on Fox Sports 1 last night. They were acting as if Ben was way out of line for his reaction to Sanders comments. One of them even said something along the lines of "Ben isn't the face of the Steelers franchise. He hasn't endeared himself in Pittsburgh and that's on him." Now I wonder, is this true? Or is that sentiment just from a vocal minority of Yinzer Nation that can't get over what happened four years ago and probably just hate the fact the NFL is officiated towards making QBs successful and wants three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust football?

But I must say I don't think Ben should be hurt over what Sanders said. He just needs to remember he's a 2x Super Bowl winning QB and Sanders is nothing more than a 3rd or 4th WR.
    It's really not. That sentiment is 100% media-driven. The fans have pretty much forgiven Ben since he's kept his nose clean since his run-ins with the law. Sure, there are some holdouts, but very, very few.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Do it on the field Ben!

Ben SB wins 2 1 loss
    Manning (Eli) SB wins 2 0 losses
    Manning (Peyton) SB wins 1 2 losses

I don't know, if I had to pick a QB to win a big game, Peyton would NOT be my choice. Regular season, Peyton MAY be one of the greatest of all time, but something changes in the playoffs.

See ya in the AFCCG Sanders.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Ben is a better leader under pressure. I would take him with 15 minutes to play.
    All Defense!

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    Do it on the field Ben!

Ben SB wins 2 1 loss
    Manning (Eli) SB wins 2 0 losses
    Manning (Peyton) SB wins 1 2 losses

I don't know, if I had to pick a QB to win a big game, Peyton would NOT be my choice. Regular season, Peyton MAY be one of the greatest of all time, but something changes in the playoffs.

See ya in the AFCCG Sanders.
    Peyton folds like a cheap suit when he's under pressure. He's great when everything runs smoothly, on-script and on-rhythm. When it doesn't...well, you get last year's Super Bowl. When the pressure's on and I need a TD to win the game, I take Ben and (ugh) Marsha. I'd even take Eli ahead of Peyton in that situation. All he's done was beat the "bestest team ever" in the Super Bowl not once, but twice, as the huge underdog.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

I've never seen anybody try harder than Ben to win back the fans and do what's right for the team. He takes responsibility for everything and gives credit to everybody else. Personally, I think he just manned up and took all the heat for the "incidents" or whatever you want to call them, even though they weren't entirely his fault so the girl could just go on with her life. He never cleared his name with the McNutty case so his new family wouldn't have to go through it. Ben is a "man" in every sense of the word. I wonder if someday, after his career is over, he speaks out about it.

Senior Member Array title="MrPgh has a spectacular aura about">

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    It's really not. That sentiment is 100% media-driven. The fans have pretty much forgiven Ben since he's kept his nose clean since his run-ins with the law. Sure, there are some holdouts, but very, very few.
    That might be where the media is getting this sentiment from. Sure the holdouts may be in the minority, but dissenting opinions are generally the loudest and most vocal on social media.

While none of us like that he put himself in those situations, he really grew up and handled it well. I think his advisors told him to keep quiet, take responsibility and ownership of the situation, and move on. He has done nothing but that, and done it well. I'm sure he wanted nothing more than to clear his name, but instead put his entire focus on his career and his family.

Senior Member Array title="CapLovesTroyP43 is a jewel in the rough"> CapLovesTroyP43's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    Oh, I like that!!!!! Cool!!!

"BIG MEN AND BIG BLADES OF GRASS"

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Ben has done nothing but be a great leader on this team. He supports his teammates 100% and always has their back. He never throws anyone under the bus or places blame. He also has been known to take the blame himself even if it wasn't his fault. That's what a leader does. How often did he stick up for his OL when they stunk? He's done the same for receivers that have dropped passes that should have been caught.

IMO some people just don't know what a leader is.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

I want nothing more than for Sanders to a tank a few balls when the game was on the line much like he did here while has in the Burgh. I understand have the back of your new Qb but, the way he threw ben under the bus was bush league. Like many have mentioned Ben lobbied for the steelers to keep Sanders last year and, always seemed to help Manny. Then this is the way he showed respect and, I hope he has a terrible season. Also i hope Manning Yells at he alot.

Peyton Manning is no dummy. For all we know, he may not actually approve of what Sanders said. Sanders could easily throw him under the bus next time.