Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RB Ray Rice To Be Suspended For Two Games

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: RB Ray Rice To Be Suspended For Two Games

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Ben's the only person in the history of sports who was punished for a totally unsupported and unsubstantiated allegation.

And every time for the history of being in sports that someone commits an act worthy of suspension Ben will forever be dragged to the fray because of that asshole Goodell.

I hope there comes a day when Ben lets loose with both barrels ( figuratively speaking) and calls that asshole out.

I don't know if that's exactly true. There are plenty of guys in the past who have been told to take a hike basically just because they were assholes. Now, I can't think of any others that the league itself has suspended for that in recent times, but that's really what the personal conduct policy is about. We can suspend you just if we think you're acting like a jerk. Is that very good? No, I don't think so. Unfortunately, our guy (who by all accounts WAS known as kind of a jerk at the time of that incident) was the first guy to run afoul of it in exactly that way.

I doubt Ben ever comes forward with guns blazing about it. Most people who have been raked over the coals with something like that tend to want to go on with their lives and not bring it up again, unless they're absolutely forced to.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I was listening to the radio the other day and I heard Dan Lebretard try to draw a comparison between Rice's case and Big Ben's prior suspension. Now he wasn't the first, nor will he be the last to draw a parallel between the two. But his was without a doubt the stupidest one. By his account Rice's suspension was justified, because if rape gets you 6 games well it only stands to reason that spousal assault would only get you two.

And this my friends is why I'll never drop the torch in defending Ben. Because this idiot is far from alone in this stance. And more to the point, Goodell's actions did what the DA's office in Georgia couldn't do and forever tarred Ben guilty ( as never charged) You see what Lebretard and Goodell both did is they prosecuted a man absent of facts.

You see here's the difference between Rice's case and Ben's. In Rice's case it's indisputable a crime indeed took place. He took a plea, which means he did in fact admit to said crime. (not that he could deny it). His record can be expunged if he meets certain criteria over time.

Ben's" record" wont be however, because Ben's "record" doesn't exist anywhere except in the imagination of Flametard and Herr Commissioner and morons of similar thinking.

Ben's the only person in the history of sports who was punished for a totally unsupported and unsubstantiated allegation.

And every time for the history of being in sports that someone commits an act worthy of suspension Ben will forever be dragged to the fray because of that asshole Goodell.

I hope there comes a day when Ben lets loose with both barrels ( figuratively speaking) and calls that asshole out.
    Well put.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    But that would be in a world where the commish had any standard of fairness and precedent. But we know the truth. All he cares about is perception. He dropped the hammer on Ben because the story was getting a lot of mainstream press attention. They all said, "oh, Goodell has to come down hard on Ben. He HAS to!" So, of course he did.
    Another thing that played a large role in the length of Ben's suspension was all the heat Goodell was getting at the time from race-baiting asshats in the media (looking at you, Jason Whitlock, who, ironically, then turned around and called Goodell out for it) for supposedly being disproportionately harsh in his disciplining of black players as opposed to white players. And once again this ties back into Goodell's execution of the personal conduct policy, which besides being completely arbitrary is also completely media-driven, a point I couldn't agree with you more about.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

It was also due to his second victim...

I can't remember...was the basis of Ben's suspension conduct that was detrimental to the league or something similar?

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    It was also due to his second victim...

I can't remember...was the basis of Ben's suspension conduct that was detrimental to the league or something similar?
    Second accuser, not victim. By not following through with the process and cooperating with authorities to the point that it could be determined whether a crime had in fact been committed, both of these accusers lost the right to be thought of as victims in my opinion.

Of course if they knew that no actual crime took place it would explain why neither bothered to follow through with the accusation.

Ben's biggest problem came from the fact that two accusations came about in a short time frame. Due to the proximity of two such accusations it became easier to assume guilt on Ben's part rather than view both incidents separately and judge them on available facts. In an isolated prism neither case hold's up. No one's ever made a serious case that the first accuser was anything other than a whack job. Her only saving grace was the second accuser coming along, which somehow in the public's eye made her specious claims all of a sudden supposedly have validity. Not based on a review of her story. Just the very being of a 2nd accuser supposedly gave her claims credence. But life doesn't work that way. Just because some UFO sightings might be harder to explain away doesn't mean Billy Bob actually got anal probed behind his garage/ meth lab by an alien life form.

The sad truth more likely is that the first allegation led to the second accusation due to a predilection on the part of the second accuser's friends, who in fact initially drove the charges.

Anyway getting to the second accuser, her story, even at it's worst, even if 100 % true never really amounted to rape, nor sexual assault. When asked if she was raped she answered she wasn't sure. When later asked if she ever asked Ben to stop, she replied no. When asked whether she in any way tried to physically stop him she said no. I understand no girl could physically stop Ben from having his way with them if he was intent on forcing himself on them. But a hard shove followed by the word no at an audible volume at least indicates consent has been withdrawn. In Ben's mind consent was never denied. He wasn't forcing himself on her., he was just having awkward sex in a cramped place.

So long story short, instead of looking it at it as the second accusation likely makes the first one true, the opposite came into effect. The first accusation's merits' are as specious and vague as they ever were. But due to peer pressure a second allegation likely came into effect because the second accuser's friends forced the issue due to Ben's reputation.
    Last edited by zulater; 07-31-2014 at 11:46 AM.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Reigning Black & Gold Array title="venom has a reputation beyond repute"> venom's Avatar

Ray Rice is going to have a press conference today - just wondering what kind of punch he used , an upper cut or a right cross ?

Second accuser, not victim.
    Sarcasm.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by venom View Post
    Ray Rice is going to have a press conference today - just wondering what kind of punch he used , an upper cut or a right cross ?
    Float like a butterfly...

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2014/0...me-suspension/

Rice drew criticism during a press conference with his wife in May, where she apologized, but he never said sorry to her. He addressed that on Thursday.
    “I didn’t publicly apologize to my wife. I know that hit home for a lot of people,” Rice said. “I’ve made the biggest mistake of my life. Me. She can do no wrong. She’s an angel.”

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Sarcasm.
    Sorry missed it. Guess I got too consumed with my indignation with Lebatard and his ilk who will always brand Ben in the worst way.

Rice drew criticism during a press conference with his wife in May, where she apologized, but he never said sorry to her. He addressed that on Thursday.

“I didn’t publicly apologize to my wife. I know that hit home for a lot of people,” Rice said.

Hey give Ray Rice credit. Give him a couple months, a couple of initial failed attempts and a team full of the best p.r. men the Ravens money can buy, and lo and behold he can deliver a decent sounding apology! No qualifiers or placing blame on the victim even!

over/ under on what percentage of that was his own words?
    Last edited by zulater; 07-31-2014 at 06:11 PM.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

All he needs to do is follow his big brother stabber: Praise God every 3 sentences, do a dumb ass dance in the end zone before a game, and get chased by Joey Porter on the Ratbirds team bus.

Yeah, maybe he'll "find God" now, or is that only for capital offenses?

Sorry missed it. Guess I got too consumed with my indignation with Lebatard and his ilk who will always brand Ben in the worst way.
    Lol. Understandable. Drives me up the wall as well...

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    It was a nice do over press conference...lol.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    No, stupid. You don't find God unless there's jail time.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    No, stupid. You don't find God unless there's jail time.
    Or if you win a sports championship...

Reigning Black & Gold Array title="venom has a reputation beyond repute"> venom's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Now that is funny.
    How about this. I think you're main issue with all the Goodell bashing is the tinfoil hat conspiracy anti-Steelers stuff. I'm with you 100% on that. I don't think bias towards or against any particular team plays a role in Goodell's thinking (soul-less robots are incapable of bias based on something so illogical). But by your own logic, how can you not see that the man is unjust? (not that it's his job to be just. But it's not our job to let it slide since he has taken it upon himself to claim that he is interested in doing what's right) If everything starts anew with Ben's suspension regarding conduct unbecoming (a new era in the personal conduct policy, because that was part of your, and others', reasoning at the time as to why you couldn't compare it to past suspensions) then this 2 game suspension is a joke of a mockery of a travesty of a sham. Or will you never concede that Goodell is more influenced by perception than by consistency and fairness?

Senior Member Array title="CapLovesTroyP43 is a jewel in the rough"> CapLovesTroyP43's Avatar

Yep seems to me as long as a Steeler isn't involved, anything goes. It makes me sick and very angry. I was just talking about this at work today. Absolutely so not fair. Ben had four games and Ray Ray gets two????? Ain't who you know......

"BIG MEN AND BIG BLADES OF GRASS"