Thread: Pat Kirwarn thinks Mike Wallace is primed for a breakout season....

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Pat Kirwarn thinks Mike Wallace is primed for a breakout season....

(There are 19 other players on this list, Mike Wallace is just the only steeler)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

Mike Wallace, Pittsburgh Steelers, WR: Santonio Holmes is gone and Wallace is the answer. With an aging Hines Ward and an injured Limas Sweed, the time is right for Wallace to explode. He had 39 receptions for 756 yards and six touchdowns in his first season and might venture into the 75-reception range in 2010.

(I dont mean to be a Debbie-Downer, but I actually think Wallace is more likely primed for a sophomore slump. He's had 1 good season against #3 defensive backs. Now he's making the jump to be covered by the opposing teams #1 or #2 cornerback. That's a big jump, and I'm not sure he's ready. Prove me wrong kid!~Psycho Ward 86)

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Kirwan is a wise-wise man!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

I have a good feeling about him. If his rookie season is any indication, then I think we're in for a real treat.

Shenaniguy Array title="kmsteelerwr15 is on a distinguished road"> kmsteelerwr15's Avatar

I agree 100% with Kirwan on this one. He should have a monstrous year.

Quest For 7 Array title="steelpride12 is a splendid one to behold"> steelpride12's Avatar

We will just have to wait and see. My gut feeling say's yes he will have a breakout season and prove to be one of the best sophomore receivers in the league, but at the same time he may be going up against first string and #1 defensive back's which may be a tougher test.
    Missing you every day, thinking about the memories every moment, loving you every second Mom ♥ R.I.P. 1951-2011

"When you go out on the field and you're intense for 60 minutes, some guys don't want to do it. When I line up across from him, he has to do one of two things, he has to raise his level of play, or he's going to get his *** kicked all day"

- Greg Lloyd

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelpride12 View Post
    We will just have to wait and see. My gut feeling say's yes he will have a breakout season and prove to be one of the best sophomore receivers in the league, but at the same time he may be going up against first string and #1 defensive back's which may be a tougher test.
    MAY be? Lol, name 5 teams with 3 good cornerbacks

Quest For 7 Array title="steelpride12 is a splendid one to behold"> steelpride12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    MAY be? Lol, name 5 teams with 3 good cornerbacks
    Why? I am just stating he will be put to the test this season?
    Missing you every day, thinking about the memories every moment, loving you every second Mom ♥ R.I.P. 1951-2011

"When you go out on the field and you're intense for 60 minutes, some guys don't want to do it. When I line up across from him, he has to do one of two things, he has to raise his level of play, or he's going to get his *** kicked all day"

- Greg Lloyd

Quote Originally Posted by steelpride12 View Post
    Why? I am just stating he will be put to the test this season?
    it was just a rhetorical statement

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    it was just a rhetorical statement
    Gotcha, just making sure no disagreement was occurring.

- Greg Lloyd

Senior Member Array title="BlastFurnace will become famous soon enough"> BlastFurnace's Avatar

He better be good this season. The Steelers put a lot of eggs in his basket this offseason.

The Steelers are one injury at WR away from having Randel El start.

UK Steelers Contingent Array title="steelerrob is an unknown quantity at this point">

Hard to tell how he'll handle the #1 DB's, but I think he can only improve now that he's got the playbook down....

Conservatarian Array title="Wallace108 is a splendid one to behold"> Wallace108's Avatar

Wallace sucks ... I'm just sayin'
    Last edited by Wallace108; 06-01-2010 at 01:52 AM.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace108 View Post
    Wallace sucks ... I'm just sayin'

nah, only Wallace108 sucks...

Mike Wallace the WR is awesome!

Junior Member Array title="Big-O is an unknown quantity at this point">

If he is getting the attention of the #1 DBs then someone else will step up and have a breakout year but Wallace will still get his regardless.

Conservatarian Array title="Wallace108 is a splendid one to behold"> Wallace108's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    nah, only Wallace108 sucks...

Mike Wallace the WR is awesome!

LOL ... good to see you here hawaiiansteeler

The Virginia Hillbilly Array title="Galax Steeler is a splendid one to behold"> Galax Steeler's Avatar

I can't help but to believe that Wallace will have a good year. One thing we have to remember we still have Ward on the other side and it will take a pretty good corner to cover him. So who do they prepare for with there no.1 corner Wallace, Ward I guess we will see.

Senior Member Array title="Boomerang is an unknown quantity at this point"> Boomerang's Avatar

Wallace has the tools to be a big success,it,s now uo to him and the O to make it happen.

Member Array title="Canadian Steeler Nation is an unknown quantity at this point"> Canadian Steeler Nation's Avatar

I think he may have a slow start adjusting to #1 and 2 DB's but I think hes got the talent to get past that and have a great year.

Administrator Array title="HometownGal has a reputation beyond repute"> HometownGal's Avatar

I'm in agreement with Kirwan here. I, too, believe Wallace is going to have a phenomenal season and give opposing DB's fits out there.

CANCER - YOU PICKED THE WRONG BITCH!!!

Thee Conservative Steeler Array title="steel9guy is on a distinguished road"> steel9guy's Avatar

I think he'll have a good season. I can see him becoming a major player in the next few years. Hopefully not like plaxico though lol

Senior Member Array title="MULLDOG24 is an unknown quantity at this point">

I still see Wallace having a good year but it seems like it is always our #3 WR that has the best years in our system like Washington in 08 and Wallace last year. I could see Sanders possibly grabbing that #3 spot and having a good rookie season like Wallace did last year.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Yeah, I think Wallace has to win the starting job first. Second he has to improve his route running to be an every down receiver...the kid has speed to get deep, but has to learn to do a better job of getting in and out of breaks to catch the slants, outs, flag routes, etc.

If he can grow as a route runner, he will have a big year. Otherwise, we will see Randle El grabbing a bigger spotlight.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Second he has to improve his route running to be an every down receiver...the kid has speed to get deep, but has to learn to do a better job of getting in and out of breaks to catch the slants, outs, flag routes, etc.
    ^^ This is an excellent point. It's not all about speed. But he seems to have the right attitude and desire to get better.

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

i have high hopes for him, but let see what he does this year against # 1's

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

Pro Bowl for Mike Wallace.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy