Thread: Geno on Sid, himself, and OV.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Geno on Sid, himself, and OV.

http://www.postgameheroes.com/

“I got very lucky that I got on the same team with Sidney Crosby. I don’t know why many underrate his talent, say that he is ‘over-promoted,’ that he has been talked about since he was 14. To me he is the No. 1 player in the world. I won’t say why other players are not as good as he is; to me he is the best. I played with a lot of guys.

“I don’t think that if a player gets 120 points — for example, Alex Ovechkin or Henrik Sedin(notes) — then he is the best. To me the main criteria are, in the first place, it is work in practice, work in the locker room, work during games. Crosby gives 200 percent every time, whether it is a practice or a game. To me it was a huge example when I came to Pittsburgh. I had never seen such a worker. Moreover, Sidney participates in every team meeting, films commercials, gives a lot of interviews. He does it for the team, in the first place.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

“We have a good, friendly relationship with Crosby. In principle, I have good relationships with all the guys. Sidney is a quiet boy. [Laughs] Actually, not a boy, but a man. Certainly without a crown on his head, quite adequate, very demanding to himself, very forthcoming, fun. He can party just like everyone else.

“As far as who is better, Malkin or Ovechkin – here everyone has their own opinion. What sort of a discussion could it be? If Ovechkin is the best to me, then for someone else it’s Malkin, for another one it is Crosby. Of course, it is interesting for viewers to talk, but… How can you determine who is the best? I don’t know to what extent Ovechkin and I may be viewed as representatives of the same school. When Ovechkin came to the NHL, he adjusted very quickly, adapted to the Canadian style. And it is a huge plus for him.

“In my first years [in the NHL] I felt a bit uncomfortable, unconfident. I felt bounded somewhat. Until I understood the essence of the rink, the essence of the game… Alex has such a talent that he quickly adapts to rink sizes, the style of play, plus he has this insolence, in a good way, helps him a lot. I think that right now he is already a ‘Canadian,’ you can say. This is what he is called in the NHL – the ‘Russian Canadian,’ because he completes so many hits in a game. In this setting he’s like a knife in butter.

“I needed more time, but with time I got used to, and in my third/fourth year in the NHL, I feel quite confident already. And, to be honest, I am also becoming a Canadian. Because you start thinking more about a shot, you don’t think about a pass anymore. It is difficult to keep your Russian style of play when you’re at a different arena in a foreign country, on these small rinks.

“That’s why in Germany it was interesting when we played with Pavel Datsyuk(notes): a lot of passes. We played, of course, a little different than in the NHL. It’s just when you are required to shoot more during a game, you don’t think about passes. If you start passing, you will be benched. And you start implementing coach’s plan, and when you’re implementing it then you switch to the different type of game.”
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="Shea is an unknown quantity at this point"> Shea's Avatar

I read this earlier on Puck Daddy's blog.

This is an example of the reasons why I never bought into your theory that Geno would want to be traded in order to be the "top dog" on another team and rid himself of "wallowing in Sid's shadow".

The two have always appeared to have a very good relationship, and I don't think Geno is, or ever will be jealous of Sid, nor will he want to take on his responsibilities.

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

I think that Geno is a great guy and I hope he stays on the team for along time.

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

Geno is awesome. I wouldn't want him on any other team.

Married and happy Array title="BPS3akaWirels3 has a spectacular aura about"> BPS3akaWirels3's Avatar

Geno: Sid No. 1 in World

There’s no doubt in Evgeni Malkin’s mind who is the No. 1 hockey player in the world.

It’s his teammate, Sidney Crosby.

“I got very lucky that I got on the same team with Sidney Crosby,” Malkin said in a wide-ranging interview translated from the Russian-language sports website, sports.ru. “I don’t know why many underrate his talent, say he is ‘over-promoted,’ that he has been talked about since he was 14. To me, he is the No. 1 player in the world. I won’t say why other players are not as good as he is. To me, he is the best. I have played with a lot of guys.”

The comments came in a story headlined, “Evgeni Malkin: To Me, Crosby No. 1 in the World.”

Read more...

Penguins to Hold 'Special Shopping Day' Saturday at Mellon Arena
    PenStation Team Store Also Offers "Moving Sale" Thursday-Saturday

The Pittsburgh Penguins will place hundreds of unique products including sticks, bobblehead dolls and assorted autographed items up for sale during the team’s ‘Special Shopping Day’ at Mellon Arena on Saturday from 10 am to 6 pm.

The sale will take place at the ‘Traditions’ store located inside Mellon Arena. Shoppers are instructed to enter the building via Gate 9.

In addition to 100 sticks from current and former Penguins players, hundreds of replica sticks, skates, street banners, t-shirts and collectibles, including Final Regular Season Game Commemorative Tickets crafted by Wendell August Forge, as well as other items will be sold while supplies last.

Fans are also advised that PenStation, the Official Team Store of the Pittsburgh Penguins, will hold a “Moving Sale” sale from Thursday through Saturday.

PenStation shoppers can save 40% off the entire stock of ladies, men's and youth apparel as well as novelties and collectibles during the sale. Shoppers can also save 30% off the current stock of jerseys.

PenStation, located at Gate 1 at Mellon Arena, will be open on Thursday and Friday from 10 am to 8 pm and Saturday from 10 am to 6 pm.

Pens, CONSOL Energy Center to Hold "Student Flush" June 10

The Pittsburgh Penguins, who pioneered a popular student ticketing program known as “Student Rush,” will now give local students the chance to participate in a unique milestone event that involves the simultaneous flushing of all the toilets in the new CONSOL Energy Center.

It’s a necessary part of the development of any new arena or stadium – the need to test all the toilets and urinals to confirm that the pumps can handle the water flow.

Say hello to the “Student Flush.”

It will be held on Thursday, June 10 at 4 pm – presented on behalf of the Penguins by PJ Dick Hunt and McKamish.

Read more...

Join the Pittsburgh Penguins Season Ticket Waiting List Today

Join the rush and get your name on the Penguins Season Ticket Waiting List!

Reserve your spot with a $200 deposit per seat, which can be applied to the purchase price of a season ticket package whenever plans become available in the new CONSOL Energy Center. Over 3,800 fans have joined the list to date!

Click here to learn more or secure your spot today!

Reserve Your Spot for the 2010 Penguins Alumni Charity Golf Classic

On Tuesday, August 24, you are invited to join over 30 Penguins personalities for the 2010 Penguins Alumni Charity Golf Classic at Valley Brook Country Club.

This summer’s Alumni Golf Classic pays tribute to the men behind the masks and will feature goaltenders throughout Penguins history.

Proceeds from this event will benefit the Mario Lemieux Foundation, ACHIEVA and the Western Pennsylvania School for the Deaf. Spend a day on the golf course with a Penguins alumnus and help three outstanding charities.

Foursomes, sponsorships, and individual golfer or dinner spots are available for purchase now. Click here for more information or to reserve your spot!

Penguins Excited For Another Chance to Participate in Winter Classic

For the second time in the past four seasons the Pittsburgh Penguins will have the privilege of playing in the Bridgestone Winter Classic when the National Hockey League’s marquee regular-season event comes to Heinz Field on January 1, 2011.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman announced at his pre-Stanley Cup Final media conference on Friday that the Penguins, who played in the inaugural event at Ralph Wilson Stadium against the Buffalo Sabres in 2008, will be hosting Alex Ovechkin and the Washington Capitals.

“We are thrilled to be a part of the Winter Classic this year,” Penguins general manager Ray Shero said. “We have now been fortunate to be a part of two Winter Classics. To have it in Pittsburgh is going to be exciting for our team and our fans. Washington and Pittsburgh has turned into a great rivalry with some really good games. To have it in this setting should be very special.”

Read more...

Nothing better then a Black & Gold Wedding 09/24/11

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    http://www.postgameheroes.com/

“I got very lucky that I got on the same team with Sidney Crosby. I don’t know why many underrate his talent, say that he is ‘over-promoted,’ that he has been talked about since he was 14. To me he is the No. 1 player in the world. I won’t say why other players are not as good as he is; to me he is the best. I played with a lot of guys.

“I don’t think that if a player gets 120 points — for example, Alex Ovechkin or Henrik Sedin(notes) — then he is the best. To me the main criteria are, in the first place, it is work in practice, work in the locker room, work during games. Crosby gives 200 percent every time, whether it is a practice or a game. To me it was a huge example when I came to Pittsburgh. I had never seen such a worker. Moreover, Sidney participates in every team meeting, films commercials, gives a lot of interviews. He does it for the team, in the first place.
    “We have a good, friendly relationship with Crosby. In principle, I have good relationships with all the guys. Sidney is a quiet boy. [Laughs] Actually, not a boy, but a man. Certainly without a crown on his head, quite adequate, very demanding to himself, very forthcoming, fun. He can party just like everyone else.
    Someone should forward these quotes to all of the fukkwit fans who are absolutely convinced that Sid is selfish, doesn't care about the team and has a "diva" attitude. Particularly the fukkwits residing in Philthy.