Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: is it too soon to talk 2015 draft ?

Dwinsgames

is it too soon to talk 2015 draft ?

ok ok ok , I won't go there YET ....

but interesting kid to keep a watchful eye on between now and then http://nfldraftinsight.wordpress.com...raft-prospect/

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

Re: is it to soon to talk 2015 draft ?

Sheesh you beat me to it by a handful of minutes, while I was doing some homework. lol

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

I'm already looking at some CBs and OTs.

AML

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Way too soon, stock is going to change based on the 2014 college season and players in some mock drafts are going to return to school.

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Way too soon, stock is going to change based on the 2014 college season and players in some mock drafts are going to return to school.
    Never to early.

We had Gilbert and Fuller slated as stars before they even made it into the top 65 on the nfldraftscout site.

Granted we struck out with many but LLT, Tex and Dwins have proven eyes for talent.

"NUMBER 7 FOR OUR BELOVED ONE IN HEAVEN"

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

Task 1: identify 2015 free agents

Starters: Jason Worilds, Ike Taylor, Maurkice Pouncey, Shaun Suisham, Cortez Allen, Marcus Gilbert

Most notable holes LOLB and CB if players walk.

Who are the obvious signings??

Task 2: Identify 2016 Free agents

Roethlisberger, Heyward, McClendon, DeCastro, Foster, Adams, Beachum, Gradkowski, Gay.

O-line looks like it could lose a possible player or two.

If I am scouting for 2015 draft I would start with

1. CB
    2. O-line ( Guard and Tackle)
    3. LB ( they always draft LB's)

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Steelers will be able to pickup option year on DeCastro, keeping him through 2017 before he becomes a free agent.

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    Steelers will be able to pickup option year on DeCastro, keeping him through 2017 before he becomes a free agent.
    good pickup tedday

Keep forgetting about the new CBA conditions for rookie contracts

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    I'm already looking at some CBs and OTs.
    Why? We won't draft any?

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

CB is one of the riskier positions to take in the draft. Nobody's ever a sure thing but CB can be especially tricky.

I'd almost rather just keep making sure we have special talent in the front 7 and field somewhat above average CBs that we pick up in free agency, while of course hoping to hit on a developmental guy like Shaq Richardson (or Ike Taylor...)

The steelers will always draft a CB in the 4th or 5th to see if they can develop them.

If they don't work out no big deal. Look at Curtis Brown and he was taken in the 3rd.

I am sure LeBeau believes nearly anyone can play CB in his system if he has a dominant front 7 that creates pressure and turnovers.

Scout tall guys, run fast, like to tackle and have played of the LOS consistently

Reigning Black & Gold Array title="venom has a reputation beyond repute"> venom's Avatar

With the 32nd pick of the First Round , the Pittsburgh Steelers select................................

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by venom View Post
    With the 32nd pick of the First Round , the Pittsburgh Steelers select................................
    Brandon Scherff, OT, Iowa.

Reigning Black & Gold Array title="venom has a reputation beyond repute"> venom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    He wouldn't have to change his jersey , lol

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

I would love that pick. Probably would have to finish worse than 8-8 to get him though.

How about Ben Koyack, TE, ND.

AML

Quote Originally Posted by venom View Post
    CB Wayne Lyons, Stanford.

Not only is he a freakish athlete, already somewhat polished, and NFL ready (and he hasn't even played his senior campaign yet), but he's extremely intelligent, a cerebral leader who really understands what he's doing out there on the football field and can make the people around him better.

With all how awesome our front seven is going to be once these guys step up... it's time to draft him and put the nail in the coffin.

Re: is it too soon to talk 2015 draft ?

After looking at a few players, I've already watched a three of them, I have started a watch list of players I think the Steelers might be interested in in the 2015 draft.

CBs, Wayne Lyons of Stanford, Byron Jones of Connecticut, and Laclarius Gunter of Miami. All three are nice size, Gunter is the biggest at 6'2", 200 lbs. and are highly ranked at this time.

OTs, Brandon Scheriff of Iowa, and Cameron Erving of Florida ST. Both backed out of this years draft to go back to school, probably a good decision. Was for Iowa anyway.

TE. There are a couple, but for what we want I like NDs Ben Koyack. Most Miller like of the TEs. I've seen.

AML

I have been looking at LT's Tex.

The two that stand out for me at the moment are

1. Brandon Scherff
    2. Cameron Erving

Both are very LT capable. I like how they hold their feet and pick up the rush comfortably. Both look strong against the run

Scherff looks like a beast in the run game, locking onto his man and driving them into the next county.

Mike Munchak was given one draftee to work with ( Wesley Johnson) with plans of becoming a swingman who will likely backup primarily at OG and OC.
    I think they give Munchak a TRUE LT if he works wonders on the O line this year.

Then again if he works wonders they wont need to draft a LT if Beachum becomes the man.

I was disappointed with Andrus Peat ( Stanford). He is getting rave reviews. I don't like guys who leave their feet. He seemed to be on the ground too much for my liking.

Cedric Ogbuehi ( Texas A&M) needs to spend the season at LT before I can really comment. A&M has been a left tackle factory the past few seasons and he may well be the pick of them. He looks very comfortable at RT and dominated on that side.

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

You guys are nuts, lol. But I appreciate you guys doing the work, I don't have the time or dedication you guys have. I appreciate the research you guys do, all I have to do is come on here and read a little bit and I'm set

Quote Originally Posted by Hindes204 View Post
    You guys are nuts, lol. But I appreciate you guys doing the work, I don't have the time or dedication you guys have. I appreciate the research you guys do, all I have to do is come on here and read a little bit and I'm set
    Yea, I know,,,,,,,, but the headaches are getting better, and I hear the voices less and less. The police will be taking this thing of my ankle next month.

By the way bud, if you get a chance to watch Iowa, keep an eye on Carl Davis, DT. Some think he is a top 3 or 4 DT. May not be for the Steelers, but a lot of fun to watch.

AML

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post

1. Brandon Scherff
    2. Cameron Erving

Both are very LT capable. I like how they hold their feet and pick up the rush comfortably. Both look strong against the run

Scherff looks like a beast in the run game, locking onto his man and driving them into the next county.

Mike Munchak was given one draftee to work with ( Wesley Johnson) with plans of becoming a swingman who will likely backup primarily at OG and OC.
    I think they give Munchak a TRUE LT if he works wonders on the O line this year.

Then again if he works wonders they wont need to draft a LT if Beachum becomes the man.

I was disappointed with Andrus Peat ( Stanford). He is getting rave reviews. I don't like guys who leave their feet. He seemed to be on the ground too much for my liking.

Cedric Ogbuehi ( Texas A&M) needs to spend the season at LT before I can really comment. A&M has been a left tackle factory the past few seasons and he may well be the pick of them. He looks very comfortable at RT and dominated on that side.
    You know how I love the big uglies bud, but don't thing we will have a shot at any of the top 4, at least I hope we don't. Besides, if the line turns it around like we hope they will, doubt we would spend a 1st round pick on a LT. For right now I plan to pay a lot attention to the TEs. Like I said before Koyack may be my favorite, but a lot can change in the coming monthes.

AML

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post

1. Brandon Scherff
    2. Cameron Erving

Me and Tex both touched on these two prior to the 2014 draft when we thought their was a chance they would declare ... in what thread you ask ? only thing I can can say with any degree of certainty is it was this section of the forum LOL

I'm starting to hear a little talk about Scherff not only being the first OT off the board, but being the number one player taken in the 2015 draft. A long ways to go, but if Iowa has a good year, and the line, lead by Scherff, plays up to their potential, who knows.

AML

After looking at a few players, I've already watched a three of them, I have started a watch list of players I think the Steelers might be interested in in the 2015 draft.

CBs, Wayne Lyons of Stanford, Byron Jones of Connecticut, and Laclarius Gunter of Miami. All three are nice size, Gunter is the biggest at 6'2", 200 lbs. and are highly ranked at this time.
    I have an eye on Trae Waynes, the CB from Michigan State. I saw a lot of him last year as I watched Darqueze Dennard...and I think he is going to be a solid first round pick. 6'1 185 lbs and runs in the mid 4.4's.

Good size speed combination and seems to be incredibly athletic.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    I have an eye on Trae Waynes, the CB from Michigan State. I saw a lot of him last year as I watched Darqueze Dennard...and I think he is going to be a solid first round pick. 6'1 185 lbs and runs in the mid 4.4's.

Good size speed combination and seems to be incredibly athletic.
    Being a Big Ten fan I'm going to have plenty of chances to watch Waynes. There were games last year that I thought he looked better than Dennard. To be honest I think I like this years crop of CBs better than last years, overall.

AML

Senior Member Array title="TMC has a spectacular aura about">

I'm starting to hear a little talk about Scherff not only being the first OT off the board, but being the number one player taken in the 2015 draft. A long ways to go, but if Iowa has a good year, and the line, lead by Scherff, plays up to their potential, who knows.
    I was talking with a guy about Scherff the other day. He had Scherff as his #1 guy. I need more film. I like him a lot, but he has a little hitch in his pass pro and, to me, it is either being a touch less athletic than the truly elite LTs or he needs a little better technique work. Fine line, sometimes it looks like he is not moving fast enough and is barely getting to his spot, other times, it is technique. Not sure if the technique breakdown is because he is compensating. Of course, could just be me, but I want more film.

Really like Cameron Erving as a LT. Oddly enough, after watching Beachum in the first preseason game, I am starting to think we may have a potential fix there. He has taken a big leap forward from last season if he continues to play like he did in the 1st preseason game.

At corner, I kind of like the kid from Wake Forest, Kevin Johnson. He has some room to improve and is a little thin, but he has good height and speed. He shows some ability to play various coverages. Long, good ball skills, great leaper. He plays with some confidence and I do not think he gets into the upper rounds.

Been reading about a posible influxe of JR. CBs joining the 2015 draft, with names like, Trea Waynes, and Marcus Peters. If this does happen we could see a draft starting something like

Trea Waynes, CB
    Tre' Jackson, OG
    Ben Koyack, TE

AML

Dwinsgames

the pos I have scratched off my 1st round wish list is QB , LB , DE , S , RB

I am open to CB , WR ,TE , OT , OG .. I could scratch WR between now and draft day dependent upon how this current group works out

as of Today CB and TE seem to be the most glaring long term need for me moving forward

My, very early, thinking is this Dwins. The CBs we have now still look to be in need of an upgrade. I still think if Fuller would have been there when we drafted, he would be a Steeler. Waynes may be the most like Fuller in next years draft, infact I have heard him called a young Fuller. If the underclass CBs I have been hearing about do come out that could push Waynes down in the draft to where I am hoping we will be drafting. Waynes one knock is that he has a lean frame and needs to get stronger, I think a good weight coach could fix that.

I think we will continue to work on the O-line, but on the inside, not the outside. Jackson is athletic enough to stay with his man in pass blocking, and enough of a road grader to drive his man 5 years of the ball in the running game. I really liked Jackson last year, and was glad he went back to school..

Koyack is my favorite TE right now, but I see a couple three TEs that will be graded ahead of him. I think Bens game is very much like CJs. Think if we could get him in the third would likely end up a steal. Will be watching him every chance I get this year.

AML

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

WR, CB, OLB, Defense, K, P, OL

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler