Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: is it too soon to talk 2015 draft ?

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

Re: is it too soon to talk 2015 draft ?

Agree totally Tex. The defensive backfield is an uninspiring mess.

I can see Troy retiring at the end of the season (especially if they make a playoff run).
    I am worried about Shamarko's capacity to stay healthy and Will " rent for another year" Allen is just a body.
    Mike Mitchell has not made a play on any balls thrown in the air and misses too many tackles. With his mentality and skill set he may be better at SS until he gets cut (end of 2015). I am keen to see if Robert Golden would indeed be an upgrade.
    Will Gay is best in the slot. Cortez Allen IMO is a decent corner if he has a better FS supporting him. (coincidence that his play has declined this year with a new FS)
    McCain, Blake & Webb are uninspiring

Of those 11 names mentioned -- would any realistically be snapped up by another team if made available for trade? I would be surprised.

This draft has to address the defensive backfield. It also can help the defensive backfield by beefing up the pash rush ( I am not paying Worilds $9M plus for no productivity)

Round 1: Lorenzo Mauldin OLB Louisville ( A young James Harrison)
    Round 2: Ben Koyack TE Notre Dame ( Ben must get a Miller 2.0 soon before he is left with no safety outlet)
    Round 3: Eric Rowe CB Utah ( Steelers wont go CB early. Has played FS as well)
    Round 4: Tyrus Thompson OT / OG Oklahoma ( I would like to see Ramon Foster go before Beachum. Thompson could play both)
    Round 4 Comp: Steven Nelson CB Oregon State (developmental CB)
    Round 5: Kyshoen Jarrett SS V Tech ( backup / St guy)
    Round 6: Phillip Dorsett WR Miami ( Antonio Brown like. Small fast)
    Round 7: Michael Dyer RB Louisville ( once high profile back who is coming back from adversity. Risk / reward pick)

"NUMBER 7 FOR OUR BELOVED ONE IN HEAVEN"

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
    Agree totally Tex. The defensive backfield is an uninspiring mess.

I can see Troy retiring at the end of the season (especially if they make a playoff run).
    I am worried about Shamarko's capacity to stay healthy and Will " rent for another year" Allen is just a body.
    Mike Mitchell has not made a play on any balls thrown in the air and misses too many tackles. With his mentality and skill set he may be better at SS until he gets cut (end of 2015). I am keen to see if Robert Golden would indeed be an upgrade.
    Will Gay is best in the slot. Cortez Allen IMO is a decent corner if he has a better FS supporting him. (coincidence that his play has declined this year with a new FS)
    McCain, Blake & Webb are uninspiring

Of those 11 names mentioned -- would any realistically be snapped up by another team if made available for trade? I would be surprised.

This draft has to address the defensive backfield. It also can help the defensive backfield by beefing up the pash rush ( I am not paying Worilds $9M plus for no productivity)

Round 1: Lorenzo Mauldin OLB Louisville ( A young James Harrison)
    Round 2: Ben Koyack TE Notre Dame ( Ben must get a Miller 2.0 soon before he is left with no safety outlet)
    Round 3: Eric Rowe CB Utah ( Steelers wont go CB early. Has played FS as well)
    Round 4: Tyrus Thompson OT / OG Oklahoma ( I would like to see Ramon Foster go before Beachum. Thompson could play both)
    Round 4 Comp: Steven Nelson CB Oregon State (developmental CB)
    Round 5: Kyshoen Jarrett SS V Tech ( backup / St guy)
    Round 6: Phillip Dorsett WR Miami ( Antonio Brown like. Small fast)
    Round 7: Michael Dyer RB Louisville ( once high profile back who is coming back from adversity. Risk / reward pick)
    I like Rowe as well , in fact mentioned him to Tex in Direct msg a couple days ago ...

kind of holding back this year , have had a ton of time but concentration level has been amiss from pain , meds, hospitalization x2 , not to mention financial concerns from not being able to finish my work season ( had some big jobs to do that was my winter living expenses and then busted this leg all to hell ) so have not been on top of things as I normally would be in the prospects department from the mental aspect ...I find myself watching and then all the sudden I realize I have no clue what I just witnessed , rewind rewatch etc

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

No NT? McLendon can't stay healthy and I don't know what to think about Big Dan.

Senior Member Array title="Steeltreal will become famous soon enough"> Steeltreal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    No NT? McLendon can't stay healthy and I don't know what to think about Big Dan.
    Maybe Woodley will be ready to play some NT by next Season
    "It comes with the Territory" - Floyd 'Money' Mayweather

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    6. Useless DE since they won't let Kissel retire until age 75
    7. Useless TE because Matt Spaeth will get a contract extension until 2040.

Some add ons

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
    Nailed it

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    I like Rowe as well , in fact mentioned him to Tex in Direct msg a couple days ago ...

kind of holding back this year , have had a ton of time but concentration level has been amiss from pain , meds, hospitalization x2 , not to mention financial concerns from not being able to finish my work season ( had some big jobs to do that was my winter living expenses and then busted this leg all to hell ) so have not been on top of things as I normally would be in the prospects department from the mental aspect ...I find myself watching and then all the sudden I realize I have no clue what I just witnessed , rewind rewatch etc
    Actually, Rowe and Josh Shaw are a couple of kids I was thinking might play FS for us. Both look to be settling into the 3rd round, but then Nelson will go in the 3rd as well. What are the chances of getting two 3rd round picks?

AML

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    What are the chances of getting two 3rd round picks?

I would say pretty good ... Sanders tearing it up in Denver should easily garner us a 3rd round comp ...

Dwinsgames

another guy I am pretty high on is Anthony Harris FS Virginia . good ball skills not afraid to make a tackle and can cover some ground top it off he has nice size at 6-1 -195

while on the Virginia Cavaliers topic , Canaan Severin wr made a one handed catch today for a TD that rivals any I have seen #nowords but it earned him a follow from me on twitter

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Ibraheim Campbell of Northwestern is another SS I like. Has been a little overlooked early but people are starting to take notice. Doubt if he comes out this year, but one to watch in the future.

AML

Dwinsgames

another guy I am pretty high on is Anthony Harris FS Virginia . good ball skills not afraid to make a tackle and can cover some ground top it off he has nice size at 6-1 -195

while on the Virginia Cavaliers topic , Canaan Severin wr made a one handed catch today for a TD that rivals any I have seen #nowords but it earned him a follow from me on twitter

Dwinsgames

when you guys get a chance Check out CB Bobby McCain from Memphis could make a nice middle round pick

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

when you guys get a chance Check out CB Bobby McCain from Memphis could make a nice middle round pick that will eventually get taken from us off the practice squad by Arizona
    Fixed!

when you guys get a chance Check out CB Bobby McCain from Memphis could make a nice middle round pick
    Cause we all know Colbert won't draft a CB til the middle rounds anyway

Dwinsgames

Senior Member Array title="Steeltreal will become famous soon enough"> Steeltreal's Avatar

Georgia Tech has a pair of Safetes I like. Really hope they can pull the upset on Florida St in the ACC championship

Really need to get a CB and OL

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Really need to get a CB and OL
    Troy looking like he's ready to retire. I think this Defensive scheme needs an overhaul. The offense can score with the OL it has.

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by Steeltreal View Post
    Troy looking like he's ready to retire. I think this Defensive scheme needs an overhaul. The offense can score with the OL it has.
    Troys wife quoted as wanting him to retire ... so just might happen

Yeah, the defense is a problem, but Ben is still facing pressure, the OTs are sub-adequate, and Marcus Gilbert is useless

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

You need to talk about the 2016 and 2017 drafts as well.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Yeah, the defense is a problem, but Ben is still facing pressure, the OTs are sub-adequate, and Marcus Gilbert is useless
    and today adams wasnt much better

Only saw clips of todays game, but from I have seen so far, and what I think we will see in the draft, I think we might need to go OT, FS, and CB.

AML

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/cornerback/

u can add up the other 3 guys with 11yr experience still playing and it doesn't equal Ike Taylor's Cap Hit. Ouch

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

He needs to. I'm tired of seeing him whiffing on tackles and trying to chase down receivers. He just can't make the plays any more.

Thanks for the many great years Troy but it's time to hang it up.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Watched the Florida St. BC game again last night. I wanted to watch CB Williams, and OT Erving again. Erving is playing a very solid center position for Florida St. right now and has shown in the past that he is a capable LT in the past. I think he is a kid that could end up at LT for us, plus be able to slide up and down the front line in an emergency. Right now we are sitting at the number 15 spot, and could go higher. In that case I think it would be a good possibility that we could land Williams.

1. PJ Williams CB. PJ has the speed and ability to cover most any WR one on one, and could give us the ints. we have been missing. He also has been showing his run support ability, with his speed, and physical play.

2. Cameron Erving OT. Erving can and does control his man at the point of attack in the running game, and has the ability to protect the blind side in the passing game. Needs a little coaching, but I think we have a good line coach to do that. He also has shown the ability to play about any line position if needed. Our coaching staff seems to really like that ability.

3.Eric Rowe CB. I'm looking for a FS here, and think Rowe could fit the bill. If not we can certainly us another good CB. He is a big kid with great length. May be a little over looked right now.

3 comp. Nick O'Leary TE. He would go much high if not for his injury. Needs work on his blocking, but there is no question about his hands, and his route running ability. Just so his ankle is sound.

4.Louis Trinca-Pisat DT. Davis gets all the talk at Iowa, but Louis has been doing the dirty work. Right now it looks like we need bodies on the defensive line.

Interested in a DE from Norfolk ST. by the name of LyndenTrail. Plays mostly at OLB in their 3-4. Started at Florida but left for Norfolk when Meyers left.

AML

Dwinsgames

Watched the Florida St. BC game again last night. I wanted to watch CB Williams, and OT Erving again. Erving is playing a very solid center position for Florida St. right now and has shown in the past that he is a capable LT in the past. I think he is a kid that could end up at LT for us, plus be able to slide up and down the front line in an emergency. Right now we are sitting at the number 15 spot, and could go higher. In that case I think it would be a good possibility that we could land Williams.

1. PJ Williams CB. PJ has the speed and ability to cover most any WR one on one, and could give us the ints. we have been missing. He also has been showing his run support ability, with his speed, and physical play.

2. Cameron Erving OT. Erving can and does control his man at the point of attack in the running game, and has the ability to protect the blind side in the passing game. Needs a little coaching, but I think we have a good line coach to do that. He also has shown the ability to play about any line position if needed. Our coaching staff seems to really like that ability.

3.Eric Rowe CB. I'm looking for a FS here, and think Rowe could fit the bill. If not we can certainly us another good CB. He is a big kid with great length. May be a little over looked right now.

if that where the first 3 selections I would be very pleased

I hope 3 of the first 4 picks are used on DB

if that where the first 3 selections I would be very pleased
    I think those 3 picks will very doable. After that there are several ways we could go, a FS, TE, a pass rusher, perhaps even a OG to strengthen the line interior. We could help this team in talent and depth with this draft.

AML

Dwinsgames

I think those 3 picks will very doable. After that there are several ways we could go, a FS, TE, a pass rusher, perhaps even a OG to strengthen the line interior. We could help this team in talent and depth with this draft.
    would be nice , but as we know all to well you just never know how a draft will fall

would be nice , but as we know all to well you just never know how a draft will fall
    That's true. You never know who a team is going to fall in love with. Plus, even though teams say that the combines are only a small part of the process it always seems to change a lot of minds.

AML